Iran urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation of tension
Armenia and Azerbaijan must avoid further escalation of tension, Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani told an APA correspondent in Tehran on Monday.
Iran will use its potential for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, said the speaker, noting that there is no potential for aggravating the situation in the reigon.
“We urge the parties to the [Karabakh conflict] not to allow further escalation of tension. A new war in the region will create problems for both countries,” added Larijani.
Larijani noted that Iran has good relations with both Azerbaijan and Armenia.
"We hope that the conflict does not worsen under the current circumstances. Iran will use its potential for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and problems likely to emerge,” he said.
The Iranian parliament speaker also touched on the Syria issue, mentioning that US President Trump has sent a military force to the region to fight against the Islamic State terrorist group.
"We hope that they will not repeat the mistakes they have made in the past, losing 6 trillion dollars and 5,000 soldiers. One of Trump’s rivals once said that they’d met the expenses needed for the creation of ISIL. Now let him undertake to eliminate it. We hope that the new US president will act wisely,” he added.
Related news releases
- 28.03.2017Putin, Rouhani discuss Caspian Sea legal status
- 28.03.2017Rouhani: Iran-Russia-Azerbaijan co-op format serves people’s prosperity
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker meets PACE president
- 28.03.2017Belarus president: Does Armenia have anything to do Lapshin's case?
- 28.03.2017Tillerson: US interested in early settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan: Excavations by Armenia around Shusha mosque ‘vandalism’
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey to hold political consultations
- 27.03.2017Final statement adopted at summit of GUAM countries’ government heads
- 27.03.2017GUAM calls for resolution of conflicts based on states’ territorial integrity
- 27.03.2017Summit of GUAM countries’ government heads kicks off in Kiev
- 26.03.2017Denmark supports Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - envoy
- 23.03.2017Pakistan, Azerbaijan enjoy excellent bilateral ties – envoy
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemns London terror attack
- 22.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates his counterpart Mamnoon Hussain on Pakistan Day
- 18.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan submitted draft agreement to European Commission
- 18.03.2017Man shot after attack at Paris Orly airport
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President congratulates his Tunisian counterpart
- 18.03.2017Mevlut Cavusoglu: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project to be launched in two months
- 18.03.2017Nowruz festivities held in Washington
- 17.03.2017Mehriban Aliyeva meet with delgation headed by Iranian Minister
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Saudi prince - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum underway
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 16.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov meets Iran’s ICT minister
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev praises close co-op between Azerbaijan, Georgia - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Albanian counterpart
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Latvian counterpart - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Montenegrin counterpart
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Macedonian first lady
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Macedonian counterpart
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan doesn’t recognize results of so-called parliamentary elections held in Abkhazia
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Our relations with France are important"
- 14.03.2017Baku to host PACE Committee meeting March 15
- 13.03.2017Raimonds Vejonis: Latvia does not recognize ‘referendum’ in Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan may adopt separate law on immunity of first vice-president and vice-presidents
- 13.03.2017Netherlands shows disrespect to int’l law: Azerbaijani lawmaker