Iran urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation of tension
Armenia and Azerbaijan must avoid further escalation of tension, Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani told an APA correspondent in Tehran on Monday.
Iran will use its potential for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, said the speaker, noting that there is no potential for aggravating the situation in the reigon.
“We urge the parties to the [Karabakh conflict] not to allow further escalation of tension. A new war in the region will create problems for both countries,” added Larijani.
Larijani noted that Iran has good relations with both Azerbaijan and Armenia.
"We hope that the conflict does not worsen under the current circumstances. Iran will use its potential for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and problems likely to emerge,” he said.
The Iranian parliament speaker also touched on the Syria issue, mentioning that US President Trump has sent a military force to the region to fight against the Islamic State terrorist group.
"We hope that they will not repeat the mistakes they have made in the past, losing 6 trillion dollars and 5,000 soldiers. One of Trump’s rivals once said that they’d met the expenses needed for the creation of ISIL. Now let him undertake to eliminate it. We hope that the new US president will act wisely,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 17.04.2018May 28 proclaimed Azerbaijan National Day in Chicago
- 16.04.2018China’s Xi congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Mahmoud Abbas sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan to be represented at ECO Foreign Ministers Council meeting
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan presidential election report to be heard at PACE Bureau meeting
- 16.04.2018Arizona Senate adopts proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 14.04.2018CoE Secretary General congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan doesn’t recognize results of so-called parliamentary elections held in Abkhazia
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Our relations with France are important"
- 14.03.2017Baku to host PACE Committee meeting March 15
- 13.03.2017Raimonds Vejonis: Latvia does not recognize ‘referendum’ in Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan may adopt separate law on immunity of first vice-president and vice-presidents
- 13.03.2017Netherlands shows disrespect to int’l law: Azerbaijani lawmaker