Iran urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation of tension
Armenia and Azerbaijan must avoid further escalation of tension, Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani told an APA correspondent in Tehran on Monday.
Iran will use its potential for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, said the speaker, noting that there is no potential for aggravating the situation in the reigon.
“We urge the parties to the [Karabakh conflict] not to allow further escalation of tension. A new war in the region will create problems for both countries,” added Larijani.
Larijani noted that Iran has good relations with both Azerbaijan and Armenia.
"We hope that the conflict does not worsen under the current circumstances. Iran will use its potential for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and problems likely to emerge,” he said.
The Iranian parliament speaker also touched on the Syria issue, mentioning that US President Trump has sent a military force to the region to fight against the Islamic State terrorist group.
"We hope that they will not repeat the mistakes they have made in the past, losing 6 trillion dollars and 5,000 soldiers. One of Trump’s rivals once said that they’d met the expenses needed for the creation of ISIL. Now let him undertake to eliminate it. We hope that the new US president will act wisely,” he added.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017Republic Day of Azerbaijan celebrated in Los Angeles
- 24.05.2017Lukashenko: Azerbaijan’s high achievements are an example for many states
- 24.05.2017Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Erdogan: Turkey highly appreciates Azerbaijan’s achievements in all areas
- 24.05.2017Pope Francis congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Volume of US financial aid to Azerbaijan revealed
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary
- 24.05.2017Armenian representative’s objection causes discontent in Euronest PA
- 24.05.2017UK envoy: Terrorism will never win
- 24.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to visit Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for New York
- 23.05.2017Kings of Sweden, Norway and Netherlands send congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Frank-Walter Steinmeier sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s policy aimed at putting an end to conflicts between Muslim countries
- 23.05.2017MFA comments on anti-Azerbaijani article published in Russian state news agency
- 23.05.2017UK embassy in Azerbaijan to open book of condolences
- 23.05.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to change region’s fate - Turkish PM
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Theresa May
- 23.05.2017No Azerbaijanis among victims of Manchester explosion
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among Manchester blast victims
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives UAE delegation - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani FM briefs European Parliament delegation on settlement process of Karabakh conflict
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit ends with adoption of Istanbul Declaration
- 22.05.2017Erdogan: Some were suspicious that BSEC could continue to exist long
- 22.05.2017MP: Azerbaijan supports organizing peace platform between Armenia, Azerbaijan at European Parliament
- 22.05.2017Romanian investors seeking to expand relations with Azerbaijan, says envoy
- 22.05.2017European Parliament committee chair says Azerbaijan is a valuable partner for Europe
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit: Erdogan sharply reacts to Armenian deputy FM’s anti-Azerbaijani remarks
- 22.05.2017Parl’t speaker: Armenia violates regional security, stability by continuing occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives European Parliament delegation
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit kicks off in Istanbul - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani president meets crown prince of Abu Dhabi
- 21.05.2017Riyadh hosted Arab Islamic American Summit president Ilham Aliyev attended the event - UPDATED
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister starts official visit to Georgia
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijani president visits Saudi Arabia
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit Turkey
- 19.05.2017Ambassador: Hungary has strongest relations with Azerbaijan among South Caucasus countries
- 19.05.2017UAE foreign minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: $1.3 billion financial aid allocated for Azerbaijan over last 25 years
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan doesn’t recognize results of so-called parliamentary elections held in Abkhazia
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Our relations with France are important"
- 14.03.2017Baku to host PACE Committee meeting March 15
- 13.03.2017Raimonds Vejonis: Latvia does not recognize ‘referendum’ in Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan may adopt separate law on immunity of first vice-president and vice-presidents
- 13.03.2017Netherlands shows disrespect to int’l law: Azerbaijani lawmaker