Iran’s ambassador to Azerbaijan: “Turkey is engaged in spreading pan-Turkism ideology”
Baku. Shamil Alibeyli – APA. “Turkey is engaged in spreading pan-Turkism ideology. In the relations with Asian countries, this country behaves like an elder brother. But there is a difference of faiths between the Turkish and Azerbaijani people. Turks are Sunni, while Azerbaijanis Shiites. Those who are spreading this ideology are also functioning in Azerbaijan and sometimes their promotion puts into question the territorial integrity of other countries,” said Iran’s ambassador to Azerbaijan Mohsen Pak Ayeen in his interview with “khabaronline.ri”.
In his interview, the ambassador touched on Azerbaijan-Israel relations and their impact on the relations with Iran: “Azerbaijan and Israel have good relations and Baku has announced several times that these relations are not against Iran. We believe the Azerbaijani officials. These are standard relations between the two countries.”
Touching on Azerbaijan-Iran relations, ambassador said sometimes there is misunderstanding between the two states, but such cases should not turn into obstacle between the two neighbouring and peoples.
“There were such cases. For example, there was some misunderstanding during Eurovision song contest, but this problem was solved due to the diplomatic efforts. Our relations with Azerbaijan were established on confidence and we still have much to do,” he said.
Asked about Nagorno Karabakh conflict, ambassador said Iran is ready to offer the role of mediator in this conflict.
“Azerbaijan and Armenia differ from each other. Iran has 15 neighbours. Despite the contradiction between Pakistan and Afghanistan, we are cooperating with both countries. We also have good relations with Iraq and Turkey, though there are contradictions between these countries, too. Iran is ready to mediate in the dialogue between Armenia and Azerbaijan, but the sides have chosen Minsk Group format. We think that OSCE Minsk Group’s efforts will fail, the co-chairing countries have been making efforts to solve the conflict for many years, but they lack strong will. Maybe the Minsk Group co-chairing countries want to protract the process of negotiations in order to seize certain privileges from Azerbaijan and Armenia,” he said.
Related news releases
- 24.08.2016Foreign Ministry: Efforts underway to find out whether any Azerbaijanis hurt in Italy earthquake
- 24.08.2016Qatar appoints new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 23.08.2016Hikmet Hajiyev: Armenia’s continuing occupation is a major obstacle to settling conflict
- 23.08.2016Azerbaijan sends invitation to PACE for observing referendum
- 23.08.2016Turkic Council secretary general: Member countries back Azerbaijan’s stance on Karabakh
- 22.08.2016Elmar Mammadyarov sends condolences to Turkish counterpart
- 19.08.2016Korea seeks to broaden cooperation with Azerbaijan: ambassador
- 19.08.2016Minister: Despite long geographical distance, Korea and Azerbaijan have a lot in common
- 18.08.2016Zakharova: Russia does not take national approach to arrest in Baku of Russian citizen Marat Ueldanov
- 18.08.2016Date of Eastern Partnership Foreign Ministers' meeting known
- 17.08.2016U.S. and UK concerned about arrest of Natig Jafarli - UPDATED
- 17.08.2016Baku holds receipt over Indonesia Independence Day
- 17.08.2016Iranian health minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.08.2016Kazakh president to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.08.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Belgian ambassador
- 16.08.2016Azerbaijan is largest investor in Georgia in 2015
- 15.08.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming German ambassador
- 14.08.2016President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian Defence Minister
- 12.08.2016U.S. Embassy in Baku welcomes new deputy chief of mission William R. Gill
- 12.08.2016Azerbaijan closely participated in repairing Russia-Turkey relations – ambassador
- 12.08.2016Tourist flow to Turkey not affected by declaration of state of emergency
- 11.08.2016Azerbaijan begins applying new duties for tourist visas
- 11.08.2016Azerbaijani president receives US Congress representative - UPDATED
- 11.08.2016Azerbaijani President receives EU Special Representative
- 11.08.2016Ambassador: Ankara is trying to establish a dialogue with sides for settlement of the Karabakh conflict
- 11.08.2016Putin: Azerbaijan is able to buy weapons anywhere
- 10.08.2016Azerbaijan gives Turkey 100,000 dollars for treatment of people wounded in coup attempt
- 10.08.2016Allahshukur Pashazade: We will continue fight against FETO
- 09.08.2016Erdogan: Turkey, Azerbaijan, Russia may create trilateral format
- 09.08.2016Turkish consulate general: As in other issues, Azerbaijan stands with us in fight against FETO
- 09.08.2016Azerbaijani president offers condolences to his Pakistani counterpart
- 09.08.2016German MP: Bundestag supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh and 4 UN resolutions
- 09.08.2016Azerbaijani FM addresses letter condolences to his Pakistani counterpart
- 09.08.2016Russian political analyst: Azerbaijan transforms from ring in Moscow-Ankara chain into serious political regional player
- 09.08.2016Russian President ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2016Iranian President ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2016Sergei Lavrov: "It is important to join efforts in the fight against terrorism"
- 08.08.2016Azerbaijani FM: "Unresolved conflicts impede realization of “North-South” corridor"
- 08.08.2016Next meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian and Iranian Presidents to be held in Iran
- 08.08.2016Trilateral summit of Azerbaijani, Russian and Iranian Presidents ends; Presidents sign joint decleration - UPDATED
- 11.02.2013Azerbaijani human rights activist to complain to Angela Merkel about German embassy
- 11.02.2013Bill criminalizing denial of so-called “Armenian genocide” submitted to French parliament again
- 11.02.2013Samad Seyidov: “The next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian delegations to PACE will be held in April”
- 11.02.2013President Ilham Aliyev receives former French Premier
- 11.02.2013Mahmud Mammadguliyev and Ziya Mammadov to attend “Eastern Partnership” unofficial summit
- 11.02.2013Elmar Mammadyarov to address debates at UN Security Council