Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
The fourth international conference on the Question of Jerusalem kicked off in Baku on July 20.
Addressing the conference, Azerbaijani Ambassador on Special Foreign Ministry Missions Shahin Abdullayev said the Arab-Israeli conflict will not be resolved unless the Jerusalem problem is resolved.
Reaffirming Azerbaijan’s support of the UN resolutions on Jerusalem, the ambassador noted that the negative trends going on in the region has aggravated the situation, making it increasingly difficult for the Palestinians.
Abdullayev emphasized that he supports the stance of the Palestinians living in East Jerusalem with regard to the holy sites and the UN resolutions on the coexistence of the two states next to each other.
"We have close relations with both Palestine and Israel, but it does not prevent us from supporting Palestine in respect of the occupation. If the UN desserts its double standards, we can achieve something. Our cultural, military, and political relations with Israel do not prevent us from giving political support to Palestine. We can not exert pressure, but we can state our position because Azerbaijan has faced the problem of occupation. Therefore, has to take a clear position," he added.
UN Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs Miroslav Jenča said the negotiations on the Arab-Israeli conflict proved ineffective.
According to him, the UN’s “two-sate solution” plan is the only way for permanent peace and the restoration of the Palestinians’ rights. He said that Israel’s plan of illegal settlement should be prevented and the hostility among the Palestinians should be ended.
The Chairman of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, Rafael Dario Ramirez, talked about the worldwide influence of what happened in Jerusalem.
According to him, this issue should not be left to be decided on by religious fanatics and negotiations should be held to benefit the people living therein. He noted that the restoration of tourism and infrastructure will stimulate the development of the part of Jerusalem where Palestinians live.
The Assistant of the Secretary General of OIC, Samir Bakr, said that he will continue his efforts to protect Jerusalem and Palestinians. According to him, what is happening now in Jerusalem are a gross distortion of international law and the Geneva Conventions. Bakr said that Israel wants to keep the status quo, violates the norms of international law, and conducts the policy of settlement, noting that it threatens regional safety.
Riyad Mansour, Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine to the UN, in his turn, said that the prevention of visits of religious people to the holy sites is unacceptable. According to Mansour, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas supports the resolution of the conflict through negotiations. The steps that have been taken by Israel recently prove that the government of Israel is not interested in restoring peace.
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey