Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
The fourth international conference on the Question of Jerusalem kicked off in Baku on July 20.
Addressing the conference, Azerbaijani Ambassador on Special Foreign Ministry Missions Shahin Abdullayev said the Arab-Israeli conflict will not be resolved unless the Jerusalem problem is resolved.
Reaffirming Azerbaijan’s support of the UN resolutions on Jerusalem, the ambassador noted that the negative trends going on in the region has aggravated the situation, making it increasingly difficult for the Palestinians.
Abdullayev emphasized that he supports the stance of the Palestinians living in East Jerusalem with regard to the holy sites and the UN resolutions on the coexistence of the two states next to each other.
"We have close relations with both Palestine and Israel, but it does not prevent us from supporting Palestine in respect of the occupation. If the UN desserts its double standards, we can achieve something. Our cultural, military, and political relations with Israel do not prevent us from giving political support to Palestine. We can not exert pressure, but we can state our position because Azerbaijan has faced the problem of occupation. Therefore, has to take a clear position," he added.
UN Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs Miroslav Jenča said the negotiations on the Arab-Israeli conflict proved ineffective.
According to him, the UN’s “two-sate solution” plan is the only way for permanent peace and the restoration of the Palestinians’ rights. He said that Israel’s plan of illegal settlement should be prevented and the hostility among the Palestinians should be ended.
The Chairman of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, Rafael Dario Ramirez, talked about the worldwide influence of what happened in Jerusalem.
According to him, this issue should not be left to be decided on by religious fanatics and negotiations should be held to benefit the people living therein. He noted that the restoration of tourism and infrastructure will stimulate the development of the part of Jerusalem where Palestinians live.
The Assistant of the Secretary General of OIC, Samir Bakr, said that he will continue his efforts to protect Jerusalem and Palestinians. According to him, what is happening now in Jerusalem are a gross distortion of international law and the Geneva Conventions. Bakr said that Israel wants to keep the status quo, violates the norms of international law, and conducts the policy of settlement, noting that it threatens regional safety.
Riyad Mansour, Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine to the UN, in his turn, said that the prevention of visits of religious people to the holy sites is unacceptable. According to Mansour, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas supports the resolution of the conflict through negotiations. The steps that have been taken by Israel recently prove that the government of Israel is not interested in restoring peace.
- 14.12.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with delegation led by UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey