Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
The fourth international conference on the Question of Jerusalem kicked off in Baku on July 20.
Addressing the conference, Azerbaijani Ambassador on Special Foreign Ministry Missions Shahin Abdullayev said the Arab-Israeli conflict will not be resolved unless the Jerusalem problem is resolved.
Reaffirming Azerbaijan’s support of the UN resolutions on Jerusalem, the ambassador noted that the negative trends going on in the region has aggravated the situation, making it increasingly difficult for the Palestinians.
Abdullayev emphasized that he supports the stance of the Palestinians living in East Jerusalem with regard to the holy sites and the UN resolutions on the coexistence of the two states next to each other.
"We have close relations with both Palestine and Israel, but it does not prevent us from supporting Palestine in respect of the occupation. If the UN desserts its double standards, we can achieve something. Our cultural, military, and political relations with Israel do not prevent us from giving political support to Palestine. We can not exert pressure, but we can state our position because Azerbaijan has faced the problem of occupation. Therefore, has to take a clear position," he added.
UN Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs Miroslav Jenča said the negotiations on the Arab-Israeli conflict proved ineffective.
According to him, the UN’s “two-sate solution” plan is the only way for permanent peace and the restoration of the Palestinians’ rights. He said that Israel’s plan of illegal settlement should be prevented and the hostility among the Palestinians should be ended.
The Chairman of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, Rafael Dario Ramirez, talked about the worldwide influence of what happened in Jerusalem.
According to him, this issue should not be left to be decided on by religious fanatics and negotiations should be held to benefit the people living therein. He noted that the restoration of tourism and infrastructure will stimulate the development of the part of Jerusalem where Palestinians live.
The Assistant of the Secretary General of OIC, Samir Bakr, said that he will continue his efforts to protect Jerusalem and Palestinians. According to him, what is happening now in Jerusalem are a gross distortion of international law and the Geneva Conventions. Bakr said that Israel wants to keep the status quo, violates the norms of international law, and conducts the policy of settlement, noting that it threatens regional safety.
Riyad Mansour, Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine to the UN, in his turn, said that the prevention of visits of religious people to the holy sites is unacceptable. According to Mansour, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas supports the resolution of the conflict through negotiations. The steps that have been taken by Israel recently prove that the government of Israel is not interested in restoring peace.
- 18.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Afghan counterpart
- 18.08.2017Bolivia expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty
- 18.08.2017Turkish president to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to King of Spain
- 18.08.2017No Azerbaijani nationals among Barcelona terror attack victims
- 18.08.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemns Barcelona terror attack
- 17.08.2017Children of some countries’ presidents and ex-presidents to attend Baku forum
- 17.08.2017Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrated in Baku
- 16.08.2017Vladimir Dorokhin: Number of Azerbaijanis studying in Russia increases day by day
- 14.08.2017Ambassador: Pakistan-Azerbaijan relations higher than strategic partnership
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Egyptian president
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani president receives Chairman of Belarusian State Border Committee
- 09.08.2017Turkmen president departs from Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates president of Singapore
- 08.08.2017Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 08.08.2017Status of Caspian Sea discussed during meeting of Azerbaijani PM and Turkmen president
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan stand for transforming Caspian Sea into source of stability’
- 08.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev: ‘Turkmenistan-Azerbaijan relations at highest level’
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan stand for preserving int’l and regional security’
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan president: ‘We want lasting stability and peace in the region’
- 08.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkmenistan co-op will deepen - UPDATED
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents make statement to the press
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan sign documents
- 08.08.2017Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmen-Azerbaijani relations experiencing new stage’
- 08.08.2017Ambassador: ‘Nawaz Sharif's dismissal will not affect Pakistan's relations with other countries’
- 08.08.2017Ambassador: ‘Azerbaijan-Pakistan military coop developing in upward trend’
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents hold meeting in expanded format
- 08.08.2017Turkmen president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 08.08.2017Tajikistan appoints new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 05.08.2017Turkmen president to visit Azerbaijan
- 04.08.2017Ogtay Asadov to attend Rouhani’s oath-taking ceremony in Iran
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani president calls for unity among Muslim nations
- 03.08.2017Indonesia will always support Azerbaijan in Nagorno-Karabakh issue – ambassador
- 03.08.2017EU allocates € 13.5M to Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 01.08.2017ECHR initiates communication upon lawsuit filed by spouses of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 31.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Arizona House of Representatives Speaker
- 31.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassador of Burkina Faso
- 27.07.2017Israeli embassy comments on Lapshin’s request
- 25.07.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates presidents of Liberia and Maldives
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani, Hungarian FMs meet
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey