Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
Moscow hosted an international conference, titled “The Moscow-Baku Axis: Towards a New Caucasus Geopolitics” on September 14.
Addressing the conference on the Azerbaijani-Russian relations, head of the Centre of Geopolitical Expertise, Aleksandr Dugin said that the event plays an important role in determination of the image of Azerbaijan in Russia and vice-versa, APA’s correspondent in Moscow reports.
Touching on the ways of solution to the Karabakh conflict, the Russian expert said that this conflict impedes strengthening of the cooperation between Moscow and Baku.
Mentioning that Azerbaijan formed a new view in the region, Chair of the Izborsky Club, writer and publicist Alexander Prokhanov stressed the importance of independent foreign policy of Baku for Moscow. According to him, this aspect plays an important role in Azerbaijan-Russia relations.
Chairman of Azerbaijani Parliament's Committee on legal policy and State Building Ali Huseynli spoke about the development of relations between the two countries: “The conference is a rare format. Today Azerbaijani and Russian patriots combine their efforts to fulfill common tasks.”
The Azerbaijani MP noted that cooperation between Moscow and Baku in military-technical sphere serves to strengthening of peace and security in the region.
Leader of the Russian Communist Party Gennady Zyuganov said that Azerbaijan had a great share in gaining victory in the Second World War. “Baku oil has a great role in the victory over fascism,” he added.
Highly appreciating the works of Heydar Aliyev and current President Ilham Aliyev in the development of modern Azerbaijan, the Russian politician noted that today Azerbaijan has become a very important player in the region in the world.
Speaking at the conference, members of the Azerbaijani community of Karabakh - composer Farhad Badalbeyli and MP Rovshan Rzayev complained about the non-settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. Strongly criticizing the activities of the OSCE Minsk Group, they emphasized the importance of establishing a dialogue between the communities and assistance of Russian intellectuals in this regard.
Other Russian deputies and senators, political experts and public figures have paid special attention to the political settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh problem, referred to the cultural cooperation between the two countries, the role of the Azerbaijani Diaspora as the co-ordinator between Moscow and Baku, and the issues of dialogue and exchange between the intellectual and patriotic elite of Russia and Azerbaijan.
Deputies of Milli Majlis, Ali Huseynli and Mikhail Zabelin also raised the issue of the forthcoming activity of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress.
The conference was co-organized by Izborsk Club and the Centre for Geopolitical Expertise.
Deputies of the Russian State Duma and Azerbaijani Parliament, well-known social political figures, representatives of scientific and expert circles, as well as diplomats and media representatives from both countries are taking part at the event, an APA correspondent reported from Moscow.
Delivering a keynote speech, Aleksandr Dugin, head of the Centre of Geopolitical Expertise, said that the conference aims to evaluate the current state of relations between Russia and Azerbaijan.
“The event will focus on Russia-Azerbaijan cooperation in the field of strengthening security in the Caucasus. The participants will highlight Azerbaijan's role in contemporary international politics, deepening of the Russian-Azerbaijani relations and joint solutions to the disputed problems in the region,” he said.
The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will also be discussed at the conference. Moreover, the issue of cooperation in the cultural sphere, the role of the Azerbaijani diaspora, a coordinating link between the two countries, as well as dialogue and exchange of views between the intellectual and patriotic elite of Russia and Azerbaijan will also be mulled.
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister attends GUAM-Japan ministerial meeting
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs to go sightseeing in Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani deputy education minister blames Armenian MP for making false remarks at Baku conference
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to display ‘decisive stance’ against Armenia
- 22.09.2017GUAM countries interested in development of mutually beneficial co-op with US
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says energy co-op with EU has reached level of strategic partnership
- 22.09.2017NATO Secretary General's Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Turkic Council foreign ministers meet in New York
- 21.09.2017Work underway to bring home Azerbaijani children found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan preparing for Eastern Partnership summit: deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan says ‘no serious progress’ in talks with WTO
- 21.09.2017EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on trade to hold meeting in Brussels
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 14.09.2017Russia’s ruling party welcomes creation of ‘Moscow-Baku axis’
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Israel’s leading defense industry enterprises
- 14.09.2017US companies continue support for Azerbaijan’s key role in global energy security
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani president meets with Turkish energy minister
- 14.09.2017Ambassador Cekuta: US-Azerbaijan co-op covers three equally important areas
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 14.09.2017Alan Duncan: British PM intends to meet Azerbaijani president soon
- 14.09.2017UK says new ACG contract will greatly contribute to Azerbaijan’s economy