Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
Moscow hosted an international conference, titled “The Moscow-Baku Axis: Towards a New Caucasus Geopolitics” on September 14.
Addressing the conference on the Azerbaijani-Russian relations, head of the Centre of Geopolitical Expertise, Aleksandr Dugin said that the event plays an important role in determination of the image of Azerbaijan in Russia and vice-versa, APA’s correspondent in Moscow reports.
Touching on the ways of solution to the Karabakh conflict, the Russian expert said that this conflict impedes strengthening of the cooperation between Moscow and Baku.
Mentioning that Azerbaijan formed a new view in the region, Chair of the Izborsky Club, writer and publicist Alexander Prokhanov stressed the importance of independent foreign policy of Baku for Moscow. According to him, this aspect plays an important role in Azerbaijan-Russia relations.
Chairman of Azerbaijani Parliament's Committee on legal policy and State Building Ali Huseynli spoke about the development of relations between the two countries: “The conference is a rare format. Today Azerbaijani and Russian patriots combine their efforts to fulfill common tasks.”
The Azerbaijani MP noted that cooperation between Moscow and Baku in military-technical sphere serves to strengthening of peace and security in the region.
Leader of the Russian Communist Party Gennady Zyuganov said that Azerbaijan had a great share in gaining victory in the Second World War. “Baku oil has a great role in the victory over fascism,” he added.
Highly appreciating the works of Heydar Aliyev and current President Ilham Aliyev in the development of modern Azerbaijan, the Russian politician noted that today Azerbaijan has become a very important player in the region in the world.
Speaking at the conference, members of the Azerbaijani community of Karabakh - composer Farhad Badalbeyli and MP Rovshan Rzayev complained about the non-settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. Strongly criticizing the activities of the OSCE Minsk Group, they emphasized the importance of establishing a dialogue between the communities and assistance of Russian intellectuals in this regard.
Other Russian deputies and senators, political experts and public figures have paid special attention to the political settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh problem, referred to the cultural cooperation between the two countries, the role of the Azerbaijani Diaspora as the co-ordinator between Moscow and Baku, and the issues of dialogue and exchange between the intellectual and patriotic elite of Russia and Azerbaijan.
Deputies of Milli Majlis, Ali Huseynli and Mikhail Zabelin also raised the issue of the forthcoming activity of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress.
The conference was co-organized by Izborsk Club and the Centre for Geopolitical Expertise.
Deputies of the Russian State Duma and Azerbaijani Parliament, well-known social political figures, representatives of scientific and expert circles, as well as diplomats and media representatives from both countries are taking part at the event, an APA correspondent reported from Moscow.
Delivering a keynote speech, Aleksandr Dugin, head of the Centre of Geopolitical Expertise, said that the conference aims to evaluate the current state of relations between Russia and Azerbaijan.
“The event will focus on Russia-Azerbaijan cooperation in the field of strengthening security in the Caucasus. The participants will highlight Azerbaijan's role in contemporary international politics, deepening of the Russian-Azerbaijani relations and joint solutions to the disputed problems in the region,” he said.
The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will also be discussed at the conference. Moreover, the issue of cooperation in the cultural sphere, the role of the Azerbaijani diaspora, a coordinating link between the two countries, as well as dialogue and exchange of views between the intellectual and patriotic elite of Russia and Azerbaijan will also be mulled.
- 20.01.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to install first border marks in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to discuss state border demarcation
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 14.09.2017Alan Duncan: British PM intends to meet Azerbaijani president soon
- 14.09.2017UK says new ACG contract will greatly contribute to Azerbaijan’s economy