Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
The U.S. president's decision to recognize Jerusalem (al-Quds) as the capital of Israel, which runs contrary to international law and the UN Security Council resolution, and to move the country’s embassy to this city causes a great concern, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani president noted that this decision could negatively affect a just and comprehensive settlement of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, lead to dangerous consequences in the Middle East.
“We believe that the U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem,” he added.
The president stressed that Azerbaijan supports the resolution of the conflict on the basis of two-state principles with recognition of East Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine.
He recalled that several years ago Azerbaijan held the founding conference of the Islamic Financial Security Network for aid to the Palestinian state and a donor conference for supporting the development of the city of Jerusalem.
The president also said that in July 2017 Baku hosted an international conference on the issue of Jerusalem, which was attended by the UN Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, OIC and various non-governmental and civil society organizations. “The conference ended with the adoption of a final declaration which condemns the occupation of East Jerusalem and the restrictions imposed on worshipers at Al-Aqsa mosque,” he added.
Ilham Aliyev noted that the people of Azerbaijan, as always, stand by the Palestinian people.
“Azerbaijan contributes greatly to Islamic solidarity and is an active OIC member,” he said.
The head of state mentioned that the OIC Youth Forum, the OIC Labor Center and the Association of Journalists of the OIC member-states were established on the initiative of Azerbaijan.
He recalled that the year 2017 was declared the “Year of Islamic Solidarity” in Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan is at the forefront of countries that are actively fighting Islamophobia, stressed President Aliyev.
The president also referred to the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games held in Azerbaijan this year.
“This wonderful holiday of sport, friendship and brotherhood once again demonstrated to the whole world that Islam is a religion of peace, mercy and equality,” he said, adding. “The forthcoming international conference in Baku dedicated to the “Year of Islamic Solidarity” will be another opportunity to strengthen cooperation and mutual support.”
“The Istanbul summit, initiated by Turkish President Erdogan, is another manifestation of this country’s contribution to the Islamic solidarity,” Ilham Aliyev concluded.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’