Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
The U.S. president's decision to recognize Jerusalem (al-Quds) as the capital of Israel, which runs contrary to international law and the UN Security Council resolution, and to move the country’s embassy to this city causes a great concern, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani president noted that this decision could negatively affect a just and comprehensive settlement of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, lead to dangerous consequences in the Middle East.
“We believe that the U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem,” he added.
The president stressed that Azerbaijan supports the resolution of the conflict on the basis of two-state principles with recognition of East Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine.
He recalled that several years ago Azerbaijan held the founding conference of the Islamic Financial Security Network for aid to the Palestinian state and a donor conference for supporting the development of the city of Jerusalem.
The president also said that in July 2017 Baku hosted an international conference on the issue of Jerusalem, which was attended by the UN Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, OIC and various non-governmental and civil society organizations. “The conference ended with the adoption of a final declaration which condemns the occupation of East Jerusalem and the restrictions imposed on worshipers at Al-Aqsa mosque,” he added.
Ilham Aliyev noted that the people of Azerbaijan, as always, stand by the Palestinian people.
“Azerbaijan contributes greatly to Islamic solidarity and is an active OIC member,” he said.
The head of state mentioned that the OIC Youth Forum, the OIC Labor Center and the Association of Journalists of the OIC member-states were established on the initiative of Azerbaijan.
He recalled that the year 2017 was declared the “Year of Islamic Solidarity” in Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan is at the forefront of countries that are actively fighting Islamophobia, stressed President Aliyev.
The president also referred to the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games held in Azerbaijan this year.
“This wonderful holiday of sport, friendship and brotherhood once again demonstrated to the whole world that Islam is a religion of peace, mercy and equality,” he said, adding. “The forthcoming international conference in Baku dedicated to the “Year of Islamic Solidarity” will be another opportunity to strengthen cooperation and mutual support.”
“The Istanbul summit, initiated by Turkish President Erdogan, is another manifestation of this country’s contribution to the Islamic solidarity,” Ilham Aliyev concluded.
Related news releases
- 23.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Royal Philips CEO
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with founder of BlackRock in Davos
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with vice president of Chevron Corporation
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with LUKOIL president in Davos
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with President of the World Economic Forum in Davos - UPDATED
- 22.01.2018Council of Europe Sec. Gen. positively assesses measures taken in Azerbaijan to humanize penalties
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani-Korean inter-parliamentary working group to visit Baku
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani MP elected PACE vice-president
- 22.01.2018Michele Nicoletti elected new PACE President
- 22.01.2018PACE winter session kicks off today
- 20.01.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia to hold talks on border delimitation
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to discuss state border demarcation
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’