Ilham Aliyev: Armenian president had better focus on terrible economic situation in country, instead of telling tales
It would be better if the Armenian president focused on his country’s terrible economic situation, instead of telling the French companies tales, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
He was addressing a meeting with members of the business council of Movement of the Enterprises of France (MEDEF) in Paris.
Ilham Aliyev also said he was surprised when a few days ago the Armenian president, speaking at the MEDEF, tried to discredit Azerbaijan and its economy with completely unfounded allegations, instead of convincing investors to put money in his country.
“He was talking about innovations, saying that Armenia is a country of innovations. Frankly speaking, we were laughing in Azerbaijan because there is a very famous saying: ‘If you are so clever, why are you so poor?’ said Azerbaijan’s president.
The fact that Armenia doesn’t have natural resources, doesn’t mean that the people should suffer from that, noted President Aliyev.
“Most of the developed countries in the world, including France, don’t have natural resources. But they develop their country because there is proper management, transparency, accountability, standards, education, knowledge, innovation,” said President Aliyev. “Therefore, instead of telling the French companies tales, it would be better if the Armenian president focused on the terrible economic situation in his country, where more than half of the population has no prospects for the future, living below the poverty line.”
“According to their official statistics, 60,000 people leave Armenia every year. According to our information, this figure is close to 100,000. If it was so good and attractive, probably people would prefer to stay, not to leave,” added the Azerbaijani president.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2017Moroccan FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2017Delegation of Azerbaijani parliament to attend PACE spring session
- 22.04.2017Azerbaijani president receives former Austrian president
- 21.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FIDE president - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017Ukrainian police take control of hijacking of Azerbaijani trucks – embassy
- 20.04.2017Top official: Azerbaijan has become leader in South Caucasus
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia hold consultations on state border delimitation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets status of guest at OECD Development Assistance Committee
- 19.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement – important step to develop bilateral cooperation - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Bulgarian president Plevneliev
- 18.04.2017EU has implemented 70 civil society projects in Azerbaijan since 2007
- 18.04.2017Malta supports signing of EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership agreement – PM
- 18.04.2017Meeting of Minsk Group countries’ parliamentarians in OSCE PA expected in coming months
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Malta and Italy - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Baku hosts 4th meeting of joint commission on Azerbaijan-Russia border demarcation
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev phoned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan interested in developing military co-op with Iran – defense minister
- 16.04.2017Iranian defense minister: Hope Azerbaijan and Armenia won’t permit third parties to interfere in conflict
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan and Iran discussed expansion of military cooperation
- 14.04.2017New chair of European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan, Djibouti set up interparliamentary working group
- 14.04.2017Moscow says draft convention on Caspian Sea’s status almost ready for signing
- 14.04.2017MFA: Visa-free regime – one of topics of discussion between Azerbaijan, EU
- 13.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kyiv Mayor Klitschko - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan, Ukraine to sign several documents soon
- 13.04.2017Klitschko: Kyiv-Baku cooperation potential not fully realized
- 13.04.2017Visegrad Group welcomes Azerbaijan’s intention to continue visa liberalization dialogue with EU
- 13.04.2017Fourth meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia joint commission on demarcation kicks off in Baku
- 12.04.2017FM: New Azerbaijan-EU agreement reflects support for and respect to territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Lapshin has no complaints about detention conditions: Russian MFA
- 12.04.2017Baku to host meeting of EU-Azerbaijan cooperation committee
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, EU to hold next talks on new agreement on April 25
- 12.04.2017EU's Salber to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to take unified approach to issue of countries’ territorial integrity - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents to meet in June
- 11.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Turkish president Abdullah Gul
- 11.04.2017Bangladesh-Azerbaijan ties rooted in history, common faith, says president
- 11.04.2017Korea’s acting president hails his country’s relations with Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Official welcome ceremony held for Azerbaijani president in Paris
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets with president of French Senate
- 14.03.2017Israel supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says ambassador
- 14.03.2017Baku to host PACE Committee meeting March 15
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Our relations with France are important"
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan doesn’t recognize results of so-called parliamentary elections held in Abkhazia