Ilham Aliyev: Armenian president had better focus on terrible economic situation in country, instead of telling tales
It would be better if the Armenian president focused on his country’s terrible economic situation, instead of telling the French companies tales, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
He was addressing a meeting with members of the business council of Movement of the Enterprises of France (MEDEF) in Paris.
Ilham Aliyev also said he was surprised when a few days ago the Armenian president, speaking at the MEDEF, tried to discredit Azerbaijan and its economy with completely unfounded allegations, instead of convincing investors to put money in his country.
“He was talking about innovations, saying that Armenia is a country of innovations. Frankly speaking, we were laughing in Azerbaijan because there is a very famous saying: ‘If you are so clever, why are you so poor?’ said Azerbaijan’s president.
The fact that Armenia doesn’t have natural resources, doesn’t mean that the people should suffer from that, noted President Aliyev.
“Most of the developed countries in the world, including France, don’t have natural resources. But they develop their country because there is proper management, transparency, accountability, standards, education, knowledge, innovation,” said President Aliyev. “Therefore, instead of telling the French companies tales, it would be better if the Armenian president focused on the terrible economic situation in his country, where more than half of the population has no prospects for the future, living below the poverty line.”
“According to their official statistics, 60,000 people leave Armenia every year. According to our information, this figure is close to 100,000. If it was so good and attractive, probably people would prefer to stay, not to leave,” added the Azerbaijani president.
Related news releases
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $.13 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 13.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria is a very important partner for Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet in Geneva on Oct. 16
- 13.10.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Bulgaria make press statements
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Bulgarian presidents meet in Baku
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president officially welcomed in Baku
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Iran's economy minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Date of Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian, Iranian presidents revealed
- 12.10.2017Official of U.S. Department of Defense arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Preparation for Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Iranian, Russian presidents underway
- 12.10.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan on Oct. 30 – envoy
- 12.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Who needs PACE and what for?
- 11.10.2017PACE's adoption of such tendentious documents make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with CoE: Ali Hasanov
- 11.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King of Spain
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
- 11.10.2017CIS summit kicks off in Sochi
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 11.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 14.03.2017Official welcome ceremony held for Azerbaijani president in Paris
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets with president of French Senate
- 14.03.2017Israel supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says ambassador
- 14.03.2017Baku to host PACE Committee meeting March 15
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Our relations with France are important"
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan doesn’t recognize results of so-called parliamentary elections held in Abkhazia