Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
The humanitarian sphere is very important in Serbia-Azerbaijan relations, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said at a press conference with his Serbian counterpart Alexander Vucic in Baku May 21.
“Mr. President, I know you will also attend the opening ceremony of the Serbian Language and Culture Center at the Azerbaijan University of Languages. I am convinced that you know and you will see that in Azerbaijan there is great interest in and respect for your people and your people's culture and literature,” President Aliyev said.
The head of state noted that the current relations in the humanitarian sphere play an important role in the development of international relations.
"I believe that not only will the mutual development of the tourism sector profit our countries, but also our peoples will get to know each other better and become friends just like our countries. Our countries are also strategic partners. I am convinced that this visit will give our relations new impetus so that Serbia and Azerbaijan will become two countries that support each other. We appreciate the policy you have undertaken in your country. You defend Serbia's independent policy and govern your country with confidence. You have the people’s support. Your policy is valued by the people of Serbia. We rejoice as your friends. We are convinced that Serbia-Azerbaijan relations will continue to play a significant role in your agenda," he added.
President Aliyev emphasized that relations with Serbia are of great importance for Azerbaijan.
“I’m sure that there are all possibilities and conditions for the successful development of these relations in future. The main thing is that there is a very strong mutual joint will. I think that we will continue to develop relations between the two countries,” he said.
The head of state said that several documents, including a Joint Action Plan on strategic cooperation between Azerbaijan and Serbia were signed today.
“We are strategic partners. This is a very important document. We always support each other in important issues such as our countries’ territorial integrity, sovereignty, inviolability of borders within the framework of international organizations. The conflicts we have faced must be resolved according to the norms and principles of international law, as well as within territorial integrity of our countries and relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council. In this regard, we always support and will continue to support each other,” President Aliyev added.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully