Azerbaijani president says he’s confident new agreement with EU will be signed soon - UPDATED
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has today received credentials of head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Kestutis Jankauskas.
Head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Kestutis Jankauskas reviewed a guard of honor.
Kestutis Jankauskas presented his credentials to President Ilham Aliyev.
President Ilham Aliyev then spoke with the head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan.
Kestutis Jankauskas said: "I will spare no efforts to further develop the EU-Azerbaijan relations which are based on mutual benefit, common values and mutual interests in all spheres. This covers not only the energy field, but also the areas as transport, diversification of the economy and the building of a modern state and society. We appreciate Azerbaijan's role as a stable and reliable partner in the region and its importance as a country, which built a tolerant, multicultural and secular society. Mr President, I am looking forward to cooperation with you based on mutual trust to strengthen our bilateral relations."
Expressing his gratitude for good words on Azerbaijan and bilateral cooperation prospects, the head of state said: "We are very pleased with the level of our partnership with the European Union, and the European Union is our key trade partner. Of course, our cooperation is not limited to trade and energy sectors, it covers a wide range of areas."
Describing his last visit to Brussels as a success, the head of state noted that the trip encouraged an active negotiation process on the new partnership document between Azerbaijan and the European Union, and these talks currently successfully continue.
President Ilham Aliyev underlined that the Azerbaijan-EU cooperation has a very broad agenda, saying that fruitful discussions are being held on the issues relating to political relations, democratic development of Azerbaijan, as well as the energy, transport, security, humanitarian, educational, cultural and multiculturalism issues. The head of state noted that Azerbaijan and the EU enjoy high-level mutual understanding for expanding bilateral cooperation. President Ilham Aliyev noted that his country attaches great importance to this cooperation and has already signed and adopted strategic partnership documents and declarations with more than a third of the EU member states. Describing this as a very good basis for cooperation, President Ilham Aliyev expressed his confidence that a new agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU will soon be signed.
The head of state expressed his hope that the European Union's stance on the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan will remain unchanged.
Head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Kestutis Jankauskas thanked President Ilham Aliyev for his remarks. He emphasized that he has been dealing with security policy for many years, saying that he will use his knowledge and experience in this area in the settlement of a crucial issue as the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
Pointing out President Ilham Aliyev's visit to Brussels and the document on partner relations, Kestutis Jankauskas hailed the importance of the issue. He noted that active work is underway on the agreement in Brussels.
On September 12, President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev received credentials of head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Kestutis Jankauskas.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Turkey
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev recalls head of Azerbaijani mission to NATO
- 13.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body to be sent to Azerbaijan in coming days – consul general
- 12.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Hungary one of closest friends, partners of Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives new Tajik ambassador
- 12.09.2017Dutch ambassador comments on decisions about Mehman Aliyev, Alexander Lapshin