Azerbaijani president says he’s confident new agreement with EU will be signed soon - UPDATED
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has today received credentials of head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Kestutis Jankauskas.
Head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Kestutis Jankauskas reviewed a guard of honor.
Kestutis Jankauskas presented his credentials to President Ilham Aliyev.
President Ilham Aliyev then spoke with the head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan.
Kestutis Jankauskas said: "I will spare no efforts to further develop the EU-Azerbaijan relations which are based on mutual benefit, common values and mutual interests in all spheres. This covers not only the energy field, but also the areas as transport, diversification of the economy and the building of a modern state and society. We appreciate Azerbaijan's role as a stable and reliable partner in the region and its importance as a country, which built a tolerant, multicultural and secular society. Mr President, I am looking forward to cooperation with you based on mutual trust to strengthen our bilateral relations."
Expressing his gratitude for good words on Azerbaijan and bilateral cooperation prospects, the head of state said: "We are very pleased with the level of our partnership with the European Union, and the European Union is our key trade partner. Of course, our cooperation is not limited to trade and energy sectors, it covers a wide range of areas."
Describing his last visit to Brussels as a success, the head of state noted that the trip encouraged an active negotiation process on the new partnership document between Azerbaijan and the European Union, and these talks currently successfully continue.
President Ilham Aliyev underlined that the Azerbaijan-EU cooperation has a very broad agenda, saying that fruitful discussions are being held on the issues relating to political relations, democratic development of Azerbaijan, as well as the energy, transport, security, humanitarian, educational, cultural and multiculturalism issues. The head of state noted that Azerbaijan and the EU enjoy high-level mutual understanding for expanding bilateral cooperation. President Ilham Aliyev noted that his country attaches great importance to this cooperation and has already signed and adopted strategic partnership documents and declarations with more than a third of the EU member states. Describing this as a very good basis for cooperation, President Ilham Aliyev expressed his confidence that a new agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU will soon be signed.
The head of state expressed his hope that the European Union's stance on the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan will remain unchanged.
Head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Kestutis Jankauskas thanked President Ilham Aliyev for his remarks. He emphasized that he has been dealing with security policy for many years, saying that he will use his knowledge and experience in this area in the settlement of a crucial issue as the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
Pointing out President Ilham Aliyev's visit to Brussels and the document on partner relations, Kestutis Jankauskas hailed the importance of the issue. He noted that active work is underway on the agreement in Brussels.
On September 12, President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev received credentials of head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Kestutis Jankauskas.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit gets underway in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Alan Duncan: BTK and SGC projects – visible signs of extraordinary co-op between UK and Azerbaijan over past 25 years
- 24.11.2017EaP countries’ leaders officially welcomed in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit to set new goals for future partnership – EU envoy
- 24.11.2017Brussels to host Eastern Partnership summit
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2017NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year
- 23.11.2017CMO chairman expresses support for Russia’s anti-ISIL operations
- 23.11.2017EU commissioner: ‘BTK project is in our interest’
- 23.11.2017Johannes Hahn: Eastern Partnership Declaration to be signed tomorrow
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Japan hold political consultations
- 23.11.2017EU says aviation agreement with Azerbaijan will definitely enhance co-op in this sector
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani president attends NATO's North Atlantic Council meeting
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev, NATO Sec-Gen Stoltenberg make press statements
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Turkey
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev recalls head of Azerbaijani mission to NATO
- 13.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body to be sent to Azerbaijan in coming days – consul general
- 12.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Hungary one of closest friends, partners of Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives new Tajik ambassador
- 12.09.2017Dutch ambassador comments on decisions about Mehman Aliyev, Alexander Lapshin