Ilham Aliyev: Partnership with EU is one of key priorities of Azerbaijan's foreign policy
The head of state addressed the plenary session of the summit, APA reported.
The Azerbaijani president said that the partnership with the European Union is one of the key priorities of Azerbaijan's foreign policy.
“This year in February, we started active negotiations on a new agreement. I hope these negotiations will end soon. This agreement will create opportunities for further cooperation between our countries. The European Union is the major trade partner of Azerbaijan. Fifty percent of the country’s trade accounts for the share of EU member countries. Since Azerbaijan gained its independence, the investments of the European Union to the Azerbaijani economy have exceeded $20 billion. This demonstrates the presence of a good investment climate,” the president said.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan continues its policy of political and economic reforms.
“We attach great importance to the development of democracy, protection of human rights and we are strictly committed to it. We have reduced the unemployment rate to 5 percent. Foreign debt, compared to gross domestic product, is low than 20 percent,” the president added.
President Ilham Aliyev said that the main challenge that Azerbaijan faces, is the continuation of the Armenian occupation of its territories: “Almost twenty percent of the internationally recognized territory of Azerbaijan is under occupation by Armenia more than 20 years. As a result of the occupation, more than one million Azerbaijani people have become refugees and internally displaced and we have been exposed to ethnic cleansing policy. The UN Security Council has adopted four resolutions which demand immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from our territories, which are not fulfilled by Armenia. Separatism, aggressive separatism are intolerable in the 21st century. All forms of separatism must be condemned and a single approach to all aspects of separatism should be applied. The territorial integrity of Azerbaijan has the same value as the territorial integrity of any other state and it must be restored.”
Referring to the energy policy, the president noted that Azerbaijan is closely cooperating with the European institutions in this sphere. “The Southern Gas Corridor, a large-scale energy project, is worth over $40 billion and it will allow us to extract more natural gas and transport it from Azerbaijan to European markets. The 3500-kilometer gas pipeline will be a new route and will carry gas to the European market from news sources. This is a policy of energy diversification along with the energy security policy. Thus, Azerbaijan's gas fields will be only new natural gas source of Europe and the pipeline will significantly change the energy map of the European continent. Azerbaijan's proven gas reserves are at the level of 2.6 trillion cubic meters which will be enough to transport natural gas to Europe in the coming decades,” said Ilham Aliyev.
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 15.05.2018Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 11.05.2018Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years
- 10.05.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet prior to Astana summit
- 10.05.2018Ali Hasanov comments on Helsinki Commission hearings on Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Russian diplomat: Convention on Caspian Sea’s legal status may be signed at Astana summit
- 09.05.2018Governor of U.S. State of Nevada honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 08.05.2018Putin sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.05.2018Content of joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee publicized
- 08.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting supports co-op
- 08.05.2018EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee adopts joint statement
- 08.05.2018Ambassador: European companies engaged in extracting gold in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018EU does not import any goods or services from Nagorno-Karabakh: EU official
- 25.11.2017Dispute arises between Azerbaijani and Armenian MPs at NATO PA conference
- 27.11.2017Turkish embassy in Baku flies flag at half-mast to mourn Sinai victims
- 27.11.2017Extensive reforms underway in Azerbaijan - EU envoy
- 25.11.2017EU warns regarding commercial activity in Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemned terror attack in mosque in Egypt
- 24.11.2017Donald Tusk: Unresolved conflicts in partner countries hamper cooperation