Ilham Aliyev: Partnership with EU is one of key priorities of Azerbaijan's foreign policy
The head of state addressed the plenary session of the summit, APA reported.
The Azerbaijani president said that the partnership with the European Union is one of the key priorities of Azerbaijan's foreign policy.
“This year in February, we started active negotiations on a new agreement. I hope these negotiations will end soon. This agreement will create opportunities for further cooperation between our countries. The European Union is the major trade partner of Azerbaijan. Fifty percent of the country’s trade accounts for the share of EU member countries. Since Azerbaijan gained its independence, the investments of the European Union to the Azerbaijani economy have exceeded $20 billion. This demonstrates the presence of a good investment climate,” the president said.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan continues its policy of political and economic reforms.
“We attach great importance to the development of democracy, protection of human rights and we are strictly committed to it. We have reduced the unemployment rate to 5 percent. Foreign debt, compared to gross domestic product, is low than 20 percent,” the president added.
President Ilham Aliyev said that the main challenge that Azerbaijan faces, is the continuation of the Armenian occupation of its territories: “Almost twenty percent of the internationally recognized territory of Azerbaijan is under occupation by Armenia more than 20 years. As a result of the occupation, more than one million Azerbaijani people have become refugees and internally displaced and we have been exposed to ethnic cleansing policy. The UN Security Council has adopted four resolutions which demand immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from our territories, which are not fulfilled by Armenia. Separatism, aggressive separatism are intolerable in the 21st century. All forms of separatism must be condemned and a single approach to all aspects of separatism should be applied. The territorial integrity of Azerbaijan has the same value as the territorial integrity of any other state and it must be restored.”
Referring to the energy policy, the president noted that Azerbaijan is closely cooperating with the European institutions in this sphere. “The Southern Gas Corridor, a large-scale energy project, is worth over $40 billion and it will allow us to extract more natural gas and transport it from Azerbaijan to European markets. The 3500-kilometer gas pipeline will be a new route and will carry gas to the European market from news sources. This is a policy of energy diversification along with the energy security policy. Thus, Azerbaijan's gas fields will be only new natural gas source of Europe and the pipeline will significantly change the energy map of the European continent. Azerbaijan's proven gas reserves are at the level of 2.6 trillion cubic meters which will be enough to transport natural gas to Europe in the coming decades,” said Ilham Aliyev.
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 25.11.2017Dispute arises between Azerbaijani and Armenian MPs at NATO PA conference
- 27.11.2017Turkish embassy in Baku flies flag at half-mast to mourn Sinai victims
- 27.11.2017Extensive reforms underway in Azerbaijan - EU envoy
- 25.11.2017EU warns regarding commercial activity in Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemned terror attack in mosque in Egypt
- 24.11.2017Donald Tusk: Unresolved conflicts in partner countries hamper cooperation