Ilham Aliyev: North-South transport corridor project is historical event
The North-South Transport Corridor project, which is being jointly implemented by Azerbaijan and Iran, is a historical event, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani president, who is on a visit to Tehran, made the remarks at a joint press conference with his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani.
President Aliyev hailed the successful development of relations between Azerbaijan and Iran.
He noted that Azerbaijan-Iran ties have reached a high level in recent years.
“Our relations have been built on ancient history, culture and common religion,” said President Aliyev. “Our political relations are at a high level and we support each other in all international organizations.”
The Azerbaijani leader pointed out that there are very good results in the economic sphere.
“Our trade turnover has grown by more than 70 percent last year. This is the result of the agreements reached,” said Ilham Aliyev, adding that all the signed documents are being realized.
“Eighteen documents were signed last year alone during my visits to Iran and President Rouhani’s visits to Azerbaijan. Two additional documents have been signed today. This creates a strong legal framework for our relations. The Iranian side has started to make investments in Azerbaijan and we are grateful for that,” added President Aliyev.
At the same time, as President Rouhani said, Azerbaijan has also mobilized great volumes of financial resources for construction of Rasht-Astara railway, added Ilham Aliyev.
He pointed out that the North-South Transport Corridor project, jointly implemented by Azerbaijan and Iran, is a historical event.
“This project also makes great contribution to regional cooperation. The number of trilateral formats is increasing in the region. Great success has been achieved in the energy sector. We connect our power lines and are making exchange,” said President Aliyev.
He further noted that there are good opportunities for cooperation in the oil and gas sector.
“An Iranian company is an active participant and investor of the Shah Deniz 2 project. There was held a broad exchange of views today for carrying out joint oil and gas operations in the Caspian Sea,” said President Aliyev. “I would like to especially mention the activities of the joint economic commission. The commission operates very actively and executes all orders of presidents in time and at the high level.”
The president mentioned that the year 2017 was declared the ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’ in Azerbaijan.
“We are trying to strengthen the unity and solidarity among Muslim countries. We remain faithful to our national, spiritual and religious values,” said President Aliyev, noting that Baku is going to host the fourth Islamic Solidarity Games in May this year.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with Supreme Leader of Iran Sayyid Ali Khamenei
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev completed Iran visit
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani FM in Russia for official visit
- 05.03.2017Azerbaijan, Iran sign documents
- 05.03.2017Azerbaijani, Iranian presidents hold expanded meeting - UPDATED
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Iran on official visit