Ilham Aliyev: North-South transport corridor project is historical event
The North-South Transport Corridor project, which is being jointly implemented by Azerbaijan and Iran, is a historical event, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani president, who is on a visit to Tehran, made the remarks at a joint press conference with his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani.
President Aliyev hailed the successful development of relations between Azerbaijan and Iran.
He noted that Azerbaijan-Iran ties have reached a high level in recent years.
“Our relations have been built on ancient history, culture and common religion,” said President Aliyev. “Our political relations are at a high level and we support each other in all international organizations.”
The Azerbaijani leader pointed out that there are very good results in the economic sphere.
“Our trade turnover has grown by more than 70 percent last year. This is the result of the agreements reached,” said Ilham Aliyev, adding that all the signed documents are being realized.
“Eighteen documents were signed last year alone during my visits to Iran and President Rouhani’s visits to Azerbaijan. Two additional documents have been signed today. This creates a strong legal framework for our relations. The Iranian side has started to make investments in Azerbaijan and we are grateful for that,” added President Aliyev.
At the same time, as President Rouhani said, Azerbaijan has also mobilized great volumes of financial resources for construction of Rasht-Astara railway, added Ilham Aliyev.
He pointed out that the North-South Transport Corridor project, jointly implemented by Azerbaijan and Iran, is a historical event.
“This project also makes great contribution to regional cooperation. The number of trilateral formats is increasing in the region. Great success has been achieved in the energy sector. We connect our power lines and are making exchange,” said President Aliyev.
He further noted that there are good opportunities for cooperation in the oil and gas sector.
“An Iranian company is an active participant and investor of the Shah Deniz 2 project. There was held a broad exchange of views today for carrying out joint oil and gas operations in the Caspian Sea,” said President Aliyev. “I would like to especially mention the activities of the joint economic commission. The commission operates very actively and executes all orders of presidents in time and at the high level.”
The president mentioned that the year 2017 was declared the ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’ in Azerbaijan.
“We are trying to strengthen the unity and solidarity among Muslim countries. We remain faithful to our national, spiritual and religious values,” said President Aliyev, noting that Baku is going to host the fourth Islamic Solidarity Games in May this year.
Related news releases
- 21.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives former heads of state and government attending Global Young Leaders Forum
- 21.08.2017Latvia’s ex-president hails Azerbaijan’s experience in hosting high-profile events
- 21.08.2017Ismail Serageldin makes presentation on development of youth leadership at Baku forum
- 21.08.2017Opening session of Global Young Leaders Forum held in Baku
- 21.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs expected to meet in Baku next month
- 21.08.2017Global Young Leaders Forum kicks off in Baku
- 18.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Afghan counterpart
- 18.08.2017Bolivia expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty
- 18.08.2017Turkish president to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to King of Spain
- 18.08.2017No Azerbaijani nationals among Barcelona terror attack victims
- 18.08.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemns Barcelona terror attack
- 17.08.2017Children of some countries’ presidents and ex-presidents to attend Baku forum
- 17.08.2017Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrated in Baku
- 16.08.2017Vladimir Dorokhin: Number of Azerbaijanis studying in Russia increases day by day
- 14.08.2017Ambassador: Pakistan-Azerbaijan relations higher than strategic partnership
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Egyptian president
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani president receives Chairman of Belarusian State Border Committee
- 09.08.2017Turkmen president departs from Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates president of Singapore
- 08.08.2017Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 08.08.2017Status of Caspian Sea discussed during meeting of Azerbaijani PM and Turkmen president
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan stand for transforming Caspian Sea into source of stability’
- 08.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev: ‘Turkmenistan-Azerbaijan relations at highest level’
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan stand for preserving int’l and regional security’
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan president: ‘We want lasting stability and peace in the region’
- 08.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkmenistan co-op will deepen - UPDATED
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents make statement to the press
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan sign documents
- 08.08.2017Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmen-Azerbaijani relations experiencing new stage’
- 08.08.2017Ambassador: ‘Nawaz Sharif's dismissal will not affect Pakistan's relations with other countries’
- 08.08.2017Ambassador: ‘Azerbaijan-Pakistan military coop developing in upward trend’
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents hold meeting in expanded format
- 08.08.2017Turkmen president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 08.08.2017Tajikistan appoints new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 05.08.2017Turkmen president to visit Azerbaijan
- 04.08.2017Ogtay Asadov to attend Rouhani’s oath-taking ceremony in Iran
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani president calls for unity among Muslim nations
- 03.08.2017Indonesia will always support Azerbaijan in Nagorno-Karabakh issue – ambassador
- 03.08.2017EU allocates € 13.5M to Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with Supreme Leader of Iran Sayyid Ali Khamenei
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev completed Iran visit
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani FM in Russia for official visit
- 05.03.2017Azerbaijan, Iran sign documents
- 05.03.2017Azerbaijani, Iranian presidents hold expanded meeting - UPDATED
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Iran on official visit