Ilham Aliyev: North-South transport corridor project is historical event
The North-South Transport Corridor project, which is being jointly implemented by Azerbaijan and Iran, is a historical event, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani president, who is on a visit to Tehran, made the remarks at a joint press conference with his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani.
President Aliyev hailed the successful development of relations between Azerbaijan and Iran.
He noted that Azerbaijan-Iran ties have reached a high level in recent years.
“Our relations have been built on ancient history, culture and common religion,” said President Aliyev. “Our political relations are at a high level and we support each other in all international organizations.”
The Azerbaijani leader pointed out that there are very good results in the economic sphere.
“Our trade turnover has grown by more than 70 percent last year. This is the result of the agreements reached,” said Ilham Aliyev, adding that all the signed documents are being realized.
“Eighteen documents were signed last year alone during my visits to Iran and President Rouhani’s visits to Azerbaijan. Two additional documents have been signed today. This creates a strong legal framework for our relations. The Iranian side has started to make investments in Azerbaijan and we are grateful for that,” added President Aliyev.
At the same time, as President Rouhani said, Azerbaijan has also mobilized great volumes of financial resources for construction of Rasht-Astara railway, added Ilham Aliyev.
He pointed out that the North-South Transport Corridor project, jointly implemented by Azerbaijan and Iran, is a historical event.
“This project also makes great contribution to regional cooperation. The number of trilateral formats is increasing in the region. Great success has been achieved in the energy sector. We connect our power lines and are making exchange,” said President Aliyev.
He further noted that there are good opportunities for cooperation in the oil and gas sector.
“An Iranian company is an active participant and investor of the Shah Deniz 2 project. There was held a broad exchange of views today for carrying out joint oil and gas operations in the Caspian Sea,” said President Aliyev. “I would like to especially mention the activities of the joint economic commission. The commission operates very actively and executes all orders of presidents in time and at the high level.”
The president mentioned that the year 2017 was declared the ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’ in Azerbaijan.
“We are trying to strengthen the unity and solidarity among Muslim countries. We remain faithful to our national, spiritual and religious values,” said President Aliyev, noting that Baku is going to host the fourth Islamic Solidarity Games in May this year.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 27.12.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: "Azerbaijan has become one of the centers of inter-civilization dialogue in the world"
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani president pays working visit to Russia
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with Supreme Leader of Iran Sayyid Ali Khamenei
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev completed Iran visit
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani FM in Russia for official visit
- 05.03.2017Azerbaijan, Iran sign documents
- 05.03.2017Azerbaijani, Iranian presidents hold expanded meeting - UPDATED
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Iran on official visit