Ilham Aliyev: North-South transport corridor project is historical event
The North-South Transport Corridor project, which is being jointly implemented by Azerbaijan and Iran, is a historical event, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani president, who is on a visit to Tehran, made the remarks at a joint press conference with his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani.
President Aliyev hailed the successful development of relations between Azerbaijan and Iran.
He noted that Azerbaijan-Iran ties have reached a high level in recent years.
“Our relations have been built on ancient history, culture and common religion,” said President Aliyev. “Our political relations are at a high level and we support each other in all international organizations.”
The Azerbaijani leader pointed out that there are very good results in the economic sphere.
“Our trade turnover has grown by more than 70 percent last year. This is the result of the agreements reached,” said Ilham Aliyev, adding that all the signed documents are being realized.
“Eighteen documents were signed last year alone during my visits to Iran and President Rouhani’s visits to Azerbaijan. Two additional documents have been signed today. This creates a strong legal framework for our relations. The Iranian side has started to make investments in Azerbaijan and we are grateful for that,” added President Aliyev.
At the same time, as President Rouhani said, Azerbaijan has also mobilized great volumes of financial resources for construction of Rasht-Astara railway, added Ilham Aliyev.
He pointed out that the North-South Transport Corridor project, jointly implemented by Azerbaijan and Iran, is a historical event.
“This project also makes great contribution to regional cooperation. The number of trilateral formats is increasing in the region. Great success has been achieved in the energy sector. We connect our power lines and are making exchange,” said President Aliyev.
He further noted that there are good opportunities for cooperation in the oil and gas sector.
“An Iranian company is an active participant and investor of the Shah Deniz 2 project. There was held a broad exchange of views today for carrying out joint oil and gas operations in the Caspian Sea,” said President Aliyev. “I would like to especially mention the activities of the joint economic commission. The commission operates very actively and executes all orders of presidents in time and at the high level.”
The president mentioned that the year 2017 was declared the ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’ in Azerbaijan.
“We are trying to strengthen the unity and solidarity among Muslim countries. We remain faithful to our national, spiritual and religious values,” said President Aliyev, noting that Baku is going to host the fourth Islamic Solidarity Games in May this year.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Georgia’s prime minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.10.2017Top official: PACE seems to have turned into tool in hands of certain circles
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani official: We had urged countries now faced with separatism to state their stance against separatism
- 23.10.2017Iranian interior minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: No one in Europe wants Azerbaijan to leave Council of Europe
- 23.10.2017Talks underway to free Azerbaijanis detained in Iraq, diplomat says
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani FM Mammadyarov leaves for Italy
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with Supreme Leader of Iran Sayyid Ali Khamenei
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev completed Iran visit
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani FM in Russia for official visit
- 05.03.2017Azerbaijan, Iran sign documents
- 05.03.2017Azerbaijani, Iranian presidents hold expanded meeting - UPDATED
- 05.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Iran on official visit