Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan managed to establish itself as a truly independent state
There are no internal threats and risks in Azerbaijan, said President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev.
The president made the remarks addressing the 'Strategic Outlook: Eurasia' panel at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Jan.23, APA reports.
According to the president, for every country, the relations with the neighbors should be a priority.
"In Azerbaijan we do not have internal risks and threats, therefore we must also guarantee the security on our borders," said the president. "And the best way is to establish very pragmatic and very sincere relations with the neighbors, based on your national interests, and the national interests of your neighbors."
"I think that in Azerbaijan we managed to establish such a partnership with all our neighbors, except Armenia, which continues to occupy almost 20 percent of our territory," he said.
The president went on to say that Azerbaijan has very good relations with its neighbors across the Caspian, with Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Georgia, Turkey, Iran, and Russia.
"With every country in our neighborhood we have a very special format of cooperation," he said.
President Aliyev noted that Azerbaijan's independence is young, only 26 years, but in his opinion, the country managed to establish itself as a truly independent state, which can afford to conduct independent foreign policy, which is based on Azerbaijan's national interests and is not against the interests of the neighboring countries.
"For a country that is smaller than most of its neighbors, it is important to find proper balance, and get advantage of the neighborhood, because big neighbors means big markets, and for us the best market is the market of our neighbors," he said.
"Therefore mutual interests, balance of interests, of course, non-interference into the internal affairs of each other, and very pragmatic practical approach on cooperation in the neighborhood, I think is one of the reasons of success of our country, one of the reasons for internal stability and good prospects for the future," President Aliyev added.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Pakistani counterpart
- 22.03.2018PACE co-rapporteurs to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Diversification of economy is Azerbaijan’s main objective
- 23.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with President and Chairman of VTB Bank Management Board
- 23.01.2018Azerbaijani President met with the Georgian PM
- 23.01.2018Davos Economic Forum kicks off today
- 23.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Royal Philips CEO
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with founder of BlackRock in Davos