Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan managed to establish itself as a truly independent state
There are no internal threats and risks in Azerbaijan, said President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev.
The president made the remarks addressing the 'Strategic Outlook: Eurasia' panel at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Jan.23, APA reports.
According to the president, for every country, the relations with the neighbors should be a priority.
"In Azerbaijan we do not have internal risks and threats, therefore we must also guarantee the security on our borders," said the president. "And the best way is to establish very pragmatic and very sincere relations with the neighbors, based on your national interests, and the national interests of your neighbors."
"I think that in Azerbaijan we managed to establish such a partnership with all our neighbors, except Armenia, which continues to occupy almost 20 percent of our territory," he said.
The president went on to say that Azerbaijan has very good relations with its neighbors across the Caspian, with Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Georgia, Turkey, Iran, and Russia.
"With every country in our neighborhood we have a very special format of cooperation," he said.
President Aliyev noted that Azerbaijan's independence is young, only 26 years, but in his opinion, the country managed to establish itself as a truly independent state, which can afford to conduct independent foreign policy, which is based on Azerbaijan's national interests and is not against the interests of the neighboring countries.
"For a country that is smaller than most of its neighbors, it is important to find proper balance, and get advantage of the neighborhood, because big neighbors means big markets, and for us the best market is the market of our neighbors," he said.
"Therefore mutual interests, balance of interests, of course, non-interference into the internal affairs of each other, and very pragmatic practical approach on cooperation in the neighborhood, I think is one of the reasons of success of our country, one of the reasons for internal stability and good prospects for the future," President Aliyev added.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Algerian justice minister
- 23.06.2018Afghan deputy FM says relations with Azerbaijan at highest level
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Diversification of economy is Azerbaijan’s main objective
- 23.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with President and Chairman of VTB Bank Management Board
- 23.01.2018Azerbaijani President met with the Georgian PM
- 23.01.2018Davos Economic Forum kicks off today
- 23.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Royal Philips CEO
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with founder of BlackRock in Davos