Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
Today Azerbaijan is a country that has a great reputation on the international arena, said President Ilham Aliyev.
“Our foreign policy has proved itself. We pursue and will continue to pursue an independent foreign policy in the future,” the president said at a solemn ceremony held on Tuesday to mark the 25th anniversary of the founding of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party, APA reported.
The head of state noted that it is not so easy, but very honorable for small countries to pursue an independent policy.
President Aliyev said that Azerbaijan will continue to actively participate in international organizations.
“The Non-Aligned Movement, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation is a key priority for us. We have been an active member of the Council of Europe for more than 15 years, and a number of events were held through this organization,” he added.
“That is not us who initiated this crisis. We simply take adequate steps towards a hypocritical and unfair policy against us. We have never been unresponsive to any attack against us. That’s why I believe that our adequate response was given in a timely manner,” he said.
The president noted that a well-known international organization such as the Council of Europe should not become a victim of unsuccessful ambitions of an individual.
“I hope that the issue related to this body will also be resolved. This is what we wish and hope for. If this crisis deepens, then, of course, Azerbaijan will have the right to make its choice freely. We have joined all organizations on our own will and can also voluntarily leave. No one can force us to remain in any organization,” added Ilham Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Formula 1 Group CEO
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitation to ODIHR for observation of presidential election
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM meets with delegation of Holy See
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Russian counterpart
- 10.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Iranian counterpart
- 10.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Holy See - UPDATED
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani Ambassador to Estonia met with Vice-Mayor of Tallinn
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan, EU agree to create mechanism for dialogue on security and energy issues
- 09.02.2018EU’s Mogherini reiterates importance of respect for fundamental freedoms, human rights
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan says 2017 proved to be productive for advancement of co-op with EU
- 13.04.2010PACE President arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2010President of PACE: “On April, we will meet with the delegations of Azerbaijan and Armenia and resume activitiy of Sub-Committee on Nagorno-Karabakh”
- 14.04.2010Director of Strategic Research Center under Presidential Administration of Azerbaijan to visit UK and Germany
- 13.04.2010Elkhan Polukhov: “Azerbaijan welcomes Turkey’s steady position on the solution to Nagorno Karabakh conflict”
- 13.04.2010Sergei Kuznetsov: “We need to review the system of complaints during the elections in Azerbaijan” - INTERVIEW
- 13.04.2010Samad Seyidov: “Report on Azerbaijan will be discussed at June session of PACE”