Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan highly appreciates Trump’s speech at Arab Islamic American Summit
Azerbaijan's foreign policy has made great strides and the country’s people know it, President Ilham Aliyev said on Friday.
“We will continue to defend our national interests in the international arena. Today we are respected all over the world,” said President Aliyev addressing an official reception held on the occasion of the national holiday of Azerbaijan, Republic Day, APA reported.
He pointed out that the number of countries willing to cooperate with Azerbaijan is growing.
“With the exception of Armenia, we have no problem with any other country in bilateral format. We have put forward a number of trilateral cooperation formats,” he said.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan has very good relations with international organizations and play an active role for these organizations.
"Of them, I would first mention the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC). Azerbaijan is an active member of this organization,” President Aliyev said recalling that last year the organization created the Contact Group on Armenian aggression.
“The Armenian aggression and sabotage acts committed in April last year by the Armenian army were condemned by the OIC. The Azerbaijani state and its stance on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict get constant support,” he added.
The head of state said Azerbaijan is expanding bilateral relations within the OIC.
“I’d like to note the Arab Islamic American Summit, which took place in Saudi Arabia recently. Azerbaijan took part in the summit at the highest level,” said President Aliyev. “I believe that this summit has a great meaning. First of all, the Muslim world showed solidarity and it was commendable that US President Donald Trump made his first foreign visit to a Muslim country. We appreciate it. I think it is a sign of great respect for the Muslim world.”
Azerbaijan highly appreciates Trump’s speech at the Arab Islamic American Summit, noted President Aliyev.
“In other words, the visit and the summit is a major event in itself and the views voiced by the US president are, of course, very much appreciated,” said Azerbaijan’s leader. “In particular, he said that the US will no longer interfere in the internal affairs of Muslim countries and give them advice. This is a very serious statement, and I can say that almost all the participants of the summit, including Azerbaijan highly appreciated these remarks. Thus, all we know well that Azerbaijan is one of the countries that were most subjected to pressure due to external interference.”
President Aliyev said he highly hopes this serious signal will reach all relevant structures, including European instutions and attempts to interfere in Azerbaijan’s domestic affairs will fail.
The president went on to say: “Since the early year there have been changes in the US leadership and we are witnessing that the manifestations of these interferences are gradually disappearing. We welcome this and hope that this will continue, because this is the only right policy.”
Azerbaijan has never interfered in any country’s affairs and will never let any country interfere in its affairs, said President Aliyev concluding his speech.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 14.09.2017Alan Duncan: British PM intends to meet Azerbaijani president soon
- 14.09.2017UK says new ACG contract will greatly contribute to Azerbaijan’s economy
- 14.09.2017Russia’s ruling party welcomes creation of ‘Moscow-Baku axis’
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Israel’s leading defense industry enterprises
- 14.09.2017US companies continue support for Azerbaijan’s key role in global energy security
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani president meets with Turkish energy minister
- 14.09.2017Ambassador Cekuta: US-Azerbaijan co-op covers three equally important areas
- 14.09.2017PACE PA co-rapporteurs arrive in Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Switzerland
- 13.09.2017Japanese PM sends letter to Azerbaijani president on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between two countries
- 13.09.2017UK minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Vietnam will benefit from North-South transport corridor
- 13.09.2017No date set for Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 13.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body to be sent to Azerbaijan in coming days – consul general
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev recalls head of Azerbaijani mission to NATO
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Turkey
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani president says he’s confident new agreement with EU will be signed soon - UPDATED
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan condemns terror attack in Egypt
- 27.05.2017Azerbaijani president sends letter of condolence to Egyptian counterpart
- 27.05.2017Emperor of Japan sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani President
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's strong armies
- 26.05.2017Trump: Azerbaijan is valued partner of US
- 26.05.2017Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan is most interested party in earliest resolution of Karabakh conflict