Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan highly appreciates Trump’s speech at Arab Islamic American Summit
Azerbaijan's foreign policy has made great strides and the country’s people know it, President Ilham Aliyev said on Friday.
“We will continue to defend our national interests in the international arena. Today we are respected all over the world,” said President Aliyev addressing an official reception held on the occasion of the national holiday of Azerbaijan, Republic Day, APA reported.
He pointed out that the number of countries willing to cooperate with Azerbaijan is growing.
“With the exception of Armenia, we have no problem with any other country in bilateral format. We have put forward a number of trilateral cooperation formats,” he said.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan has very good relations with international organizations and play an active role for these organizations.
"Of them, I would first mention the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC). Azerbaijan is an active member of this organization,” President Aliyev said recalling that last year the organization created the Contact Group on Armenian aggression.
“The Armenian aggression and sabotage acts committed in April last year by the Armenian army were condemned by the OIC. The Azerbaijani state and its stance on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict get constant support,” he added.
The head of state said Azerbaijan is expanding bilateral relations within the OIC.
“I’d like to note the Arab Islamic American Summit, which took place in Saudi Arabia recently. Azerbaijan took part in the summit at the highest level,” said President Aliyev. “I believe that this summit has a great meaning. First of all, the Muslim world showed solidarity and it was commendable that US President Donald Trump made his first foreign visit to a Muslim country. We appreciate it. I think it is a sign of great respect for the Muslim world.”
Azerbaijan highly appreciates Trump’s speech at the Arab Islamic American Summit, noted President Aliyev.
“In other words, the visit and the summit is a major event in itself and the views voiced by the US president are, of course, very much appreciated,” said Azerbaijan’s leader. “In particular, he said that the US will no longer interfere in the internal affairs of Muslim countries and give them advice. This is a very serious statement, and I can say that almost all the participants of the summit, including Azerbaijan highly appreciated these remarks. Thus, all we know well that Azerbaijan is one of the countries that were most subjected to pressure due to external interference.”
President Aliyev said he highly hopes this serious signal will reach all relevant structures, including European instutions and attempts to interfere in Azerbaijan’s domestic affairs will fail.
The president went on to say: “Since the early year there have been changes in the US leadership and we are witnessing that the manifestations of these interferences are gradually disappearing. We welcome this and hope that this will continue, because this is the only right policy.”
Azerbaijan has never interfered in any country’s affairs and will never let any country interfere in its affairs, said President Aliyev concluding his speech.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemned terror attack in mosque in Egypt
- 24.11.2017Donald Tusk: Unresolved conflicts in partner countries hamper cooperation
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Egyptian counterpart
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, EU sign document on Trans-European Transport Network
- 24.11.2017EaP Summit welcomes good progress in talks on new Eu-Azerbaijan agreement
- 24.11.2017EU reaffirms support to territorial integrity of all its partners
- 24.11.2017Joint declaration adopted at EaP summit in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Russia’s key role in relations with Azerbaijan, Armenia ‘apparent’, says Merkel
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign plan for security cooperation
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit gets underway in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Alan Duncan: BTK and SGC projects – visible signs of extraordinary co-op between UK and Azerbaijan over past 25 years
- 24.11.2017EaP countries’ leaders officially welcomed in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit to set new goals for future partnership – EU envoy
- 24.11.2017Brussels to host Eastern Partnership summit
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2017NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year
- 23.11.2017CMO chairman expresses support for Russia’s anti-ISIL operations
- 23.11.2017EU commissioner: ‘BTK project is in our interest’
- 23.11.2017Johannes Hahn: Eastern Partnership Declaration to be signed tomorrow
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Japan hold political consultations
- 23.11.2017EU says aviation agreement with Azerbaijan will definitely enhance co-op in this sector
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani president attends NATO's North Atlantic Council meeting
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev, NATO Sec-Gen Stoltenberg make press statements
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan condemns terror attack in Egypt
- 27.05.2017Azerbaijani president sends letter of condolence to Egyptian counterpart
- 27.05.2017Emperor of Japan sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani President
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's strong armies
- 26.05.2017Trump: Azerbaijan is valued partner of US
- 26.05.2017Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan is most interested party in earliest resolution of Karabakh conflict