Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan highly appreciates Trump’s speech at Arab Islamic American Summit
Azerbaijan's foreign policy has made great strides and the country’s people know it, President Ilham Aliyev said on Friday.
“We will continue to defend our national interests in the international arena. Today we are respected all over the world,” said President Aliyev addressing an official reception held on the occasion of the national holiday of Azerbaijan, Republic Day, APA reported.
He pointed out that the number of countries willing to cooperate with Azerbaijan is growing.
“With the exception of Armenia, we have no problem with any other country in bilateral format. We have put forward a number of trilateral cooperation formats,” he said.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan has very good relations with international organizations and play an active role for these organizations.
"Of them, I would first mention the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC). Azerbaijan is an active member of this organization,” President Aliyev said recalling that last year the organization created the Contact Group on Armenian aggression.
“The Armenian aggression and sabotage acts committed in April last year by the Armenian army were condemned by the OIC. The Azerbaijani state and its stance on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict get constant support,” he added.
The head of state said Azerbaijan is expanding bilateral relations within the OIC.
“I’d like to note the Arab Islamic American Summit, which took place in Saudi Arabia recently. Azerbaijan took part in the summit at the highest level,” said President Aliyev. “I believe that this summit has a great meaning. First of all, the Muslim world showed solidarity and it was commendable that US President Donald Trump made his first foreign visit to a Muslim country. We appreciate it. I think it is a sign of great respect for the Muslim world.”
Azerbaijan highly appreciates Trump’s speech at the Arab Islamic American Summit, noted President Aliyev.
“In other words, the visit and the summit is a major event in itself and the views voiced by the US president are, of course, very much appreciated,” said Azerbaijan’s leader. “In particular, he said that the US will no longer interfere in the internal affairs of Muslim countries and give them advice. This is a very serious statement, and I can say that almost all the participants of the summit, including Azerbaijan highly appreciated these remarks. Thus, all we know well that Azerbaijan is one of the countries that were most subjected to pressure due to external interference.”
President Aliyev said he highly hopes this serious signal will reach all relevant structures, including European instutions and attempts to interfere in Azerbaijan’s domestic affairs will fail.
The president went on to say: “Since the early year there have been changes in the US leadership and we are witnessing that the manifestations of these interferences are gradually disappearing. We welcome this and hope that this will continue, because this is the only right policy.”
Azerbaijan has never interfered in any country’s affairs and will never let any country interfere in its affairs, said President Aliyev concluding his speech.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by President of American Jewish Committee
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan condemns terror attack in Egypt
- 27.05.2017Azerbaijani president sends letter of condolence to Egyptian counterpart
- 27.05.2017Emperor of Japan sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani President
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's strong armies
- 26.05.2017Trump: Azerbaijan is valued partner of US
- 26.05.2017Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan is most interested party in earliest resolution of Karabakh conflict