ICG is successful, important political platform – Azerbaijani deputy FM
The main goal is to achieve peace and security in Afghanistan and beyond, said Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister Araz Azimov.
He made the remarks at a meeting of the International Contact Group (ICG) on Afghanistan in Baku on June 28, APA reports.
Azimov underlined the importance of the ICG.
“This is a very important platform. The ICG countries are interested in cooperation for the solution of Taliban-Afghan conflict. We are pleased to participate in this initiative and help ramp up efforts being made in this direction. I am also glad that we are doing this for Afghanistan, a friendly and fraternal country to Azerbaijan,” he said.
Azerbaijan and Afghanistan share common culture and history, said Azimov, expressing hope that in the future the peoples of the two countries will get even closer together and help each other in the development of their countries’ economies.
The Azerbaijani diplomat stressed the importance of the Baku meeting’s agenda that is based on the priorities that the countries defined for themselves.
Azimov also referred to other formats on the issue Afghanistan.
“There are also other formats on this issue, for instance, the ‘Tokyo format’. Every format has its own goals and targets. From this standpoint, ICG is a successful and important political platform,” he said.
The deputy FM expressed hope that the ICG Baku meeting will be productive.
“We believe that the parliamentary elections to be held in Afghanistan in October this year will be organized at a high level and their results will strengthen stability in the future and create a good basis for the next presidential election,” Azimov added.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 28.06.2018Joint statement made at UN Human Rights Council session on Azerbaijan’s initiative
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijani MP appointed PACE rapporteur
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Georgian ambassador
- 28.06.2018Former Afghan envoy to Pakistan: ICG Baku meeting will be effective
- 28.06.2018ICG meeting on Afghanistan kicks off in Baku
- 27.06.2018Mahmud Mammad-Guliyev: Armenia’s refusal to return occupied lands leaves it out of regional coop