Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry has summoned Greek ambassador to Azerbaijan Dimitrios Tsoungas in connection with the visit to Greece on March 13-15 of Karen Mirzoyan, who calls himself a representative of the illegal regime created in the Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Friday.
The Azerbaijani side voiced its concern and discontent over the visit which runs contrary to the Memorandum signed in 2014 between the two countries’ foreign ministries on cooperation on EU issues, which reaffirms commitment to sovereignty, territorial integrity and inviolability of borders is confirmed, Hajiyev noted.
During the meeting with the Greek ambassador, it was also proposed to inform the Greek citizens about the illegality of visiting the Azerbaijani territories occupied Armenia that will lead to legal liability.
Ambassador Tsoungas, in turn, noted that Greece supports the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan and promised to inform the officials of his country about the dissatisfaction and concern of the Azerbaijani side, added Hajiyev.
The Greek Foreign Ministry told the Azerbaijani Embassy in this country that Karen Mirzoyan's trip was of a private nature and there were no meetings with Greek officials.
According to Hajiyev, it is regrettable that the EU’s ban on visits of “representatives” of the separatist regimes is selectively applied by some EU member states in relation to the illegal regime created in the Armenian-occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“Mirzoyan and other “representatives” of this illegal regime make visits to foreign countries with diplomatic passports of Armenia. Such provocative visits are aimed at encouraging the so-called regime created as a result of the Armenian aggression against Azerbaijan, undermining the peace process mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group and escalating the situation in the region,” added the spokesperson.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum