Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry has summoned Greek ambassador to Azerbaijan Dimitrios Tsoungas in connection with the visit to Greece on March 13-15 of Karen Mirzoyan, who calls himself a representative of the illegal regime created in the Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Friday.
The Azerbaijani side voiced its concern and discontent over the visit which runs contrary to the Memorandum signed in 2014 between the two countries’ foreign ministries on cooperation on EU issues, which reaffirms commitment to sovereignty, territorial integrity and inviolability of borders is confirmed, Hajiyev noted.
During the meeting with the Greek ambassador, it was also proposed to inform the Greek citizens about the illegality of visiting the Azerbaijani territories occupied Armenia that will lead to legal liability.
Ambassador Tsoungas, in turn, noted that Greece supports the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan and promised to inform the officials of his country about the dissatisfaction and concern of the Azerbaijani side, added Hajiyev.
The Greek Foreign Ministry told the Azerbaijani Embassy in this country that Karen Mirzoyan's trip was of a private nature and there were no meetings with Greek officials.
According to Hajiyev, it is regrettable that the EU’s ban on visits of “representatives” of the separatist regimes is selectively applied by some EU member states in relation to the illegal regime created in the Armenian-occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“Mirzoyan and other “representatives” of this illegal regime make visits to foreign countries with diplomatic passports of Armenia. Such provocative visits are aimed at encouraging the so-called regime created as a result of the Armenian aggression against Azerbaijan, undermining the peace process mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group and escalating the situation in the region,” added the spokesperson.
Related news releases
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani, Hungarian FMs meet
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijani, Russian presidents discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.07.2017Meeting of Presidents of Russia and Azerbaijan held in Sochi
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Russia for working visit
- 21.07.2017Egyptian embassy organizes official reception in Baku
- 21.07.2017Communiqué on closure of Al-Aqsa Mosque adopted at Baku conference
- 21.07.2017Ambassador: Protraction of Jerusalem problem indicates existence of double standards in int’l policy
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Hungarian ambassador
- 21.07.2017MFA: No Azerbaijani citizens injured in earthquake in Turkey, Greece
- 21.07.2017Russian, Azerbaijani presidents to meet in Sochi – Kremlin
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijan allocates $5M for development of infrastructure in East al-Quds
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey
- 19.07.2017Ashgabat to host fifth trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs
- 19.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM - UPDATED
- 19.07.2017Ambassador: Czech Republic interested in co-op with Azerbaijan within Eastern Partnership
- 19.07.2017Visegrad Four supports soonest signing of Azerbaijan-EU deal on strategic partnership
- 19.07.2017Czech Senate delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Eastern Partnership countries’ FMs to meet in September
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary in October
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen FMs mull co-op prospects
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Baku
- 18.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan interested in expanding ties with Turkmenistan in all areas - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Austrian delegation - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit
- 17.07.2017Final document on Caspian Sea’s status nearly 80% agreed - Azerbaijani FM
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-EU relations developing successfully
- 17.07.2017President Vejonis: Latvia will continue to support Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum