Governor of U.S. State of Nevada signs document on Khojaly Tragedy
The Governor of the U.S. State of Nevada, Brian Sandoval, signed a document remembering the Khojaly Tragedy of Azerbaijan.
The document was sent to Azerbaijan’s Consulate General in Los Angeles, which also covers the State of Nevada, the Consulate General told APA.
Khojaly Tragedy refers to the massacre committed by Armenia’s army against Azerbaijani civilians on Feb. 25-26, 1992 fleeing the town of Khojaly in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region. The mass killing, called by the Human Rights Watch the “largest massacre in the conflict” between Armenia and Azerbaijan, resulted in the murder of over 600 Azerbaijani civilians, including around 250 children, women and the elderly.
Stating that this document is presented in honor of the Khojaly Remembrance Day and in memory of the victims of the Khojaly tragedy, the Governor says: “The State of Nevada joins you on this day of remembrance, and recognizes the need for understanding, communication and tolerance among people around the world.”
This is the first official document signed by a Nevada Governor on the Khojaly Tragedy.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijani, Russian presidents discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.07.2017Meeting of Presidents of Russia and Azerbaijan held in Sochi
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Russia for working visit
- 21.07.2017Egyptian embassy organizes official reception in Baku
- 21.07.2017Communiqué on closure of Al-Aqsa Mosque adopted at Baku conference
- 21.07.2017Ambassador: Protraction of Jerusalem problem indicates existence of double standards in int’l policy
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Hungarian ambassador
- 21.07.2017MFA: No Azerbaijani citizens injured in earthquake in Turkey, Greece
- 21.07.2017Russian, Azerbaijani presidents to meet in Sochi – Kremlin
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijan allocates $5M for development of infrastructure in East al-Quds
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey
- 19.07.2017Ashgabat to host fifth trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs
- 19.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM - UPDATED
- 19.07.2017Ambassador: Czech Republic interested in co-op with Azerbaijan within Eastern Partnership
- 19.07.2017Visegrad Four supports soonest signing of Azerbaijan-EU deal on strategic partnership
- 19.07.2017Czech Senate delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Eastern Partnership countries’ FMs to meet in September
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary in October
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen FMs mull co-op prospects
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Baku
- 18.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan interested in expanding ties with Turkmenistan in all areas - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Austrian delegation - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit
- 17.07.2017Final document on Caspian Sea’s status nearly 80% agreed - Azerbaijani FM
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-EU relations developing successfully
- 17.07.2017President Vejonis: Latvia will continue to support Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Freedom Monument in Latvia
- 28.02.2017Khojaly massacre survivor addresses US Congress
- 28.02.2017“Baku platform – a place for positive initiatives”
- 28.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev in Pakistan for ECO summit
- 27.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev ends official visit to Qatar - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with Emir of Qatar
- 27.02.2017Oscar 2017 winners named