BTK to foster regional development – Georgian PM
The Baku-Tbilisi-Kars (BTK) railway will foster regional development, Georgian Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili said addressing the second Silk Road Forum in Tbilisi, an APA correspondent reported from Tbilisi.
Kvirikashvili reiterated Georgia’s readiness to contribute to the new Silk Road initiative.
“As you know, thanks to the close cooperation with the governments of Azerbaijan and Turkey, the BTK railway was commissioned last month,” said the prime minister, calling the BTK an alternative route linking Central Asian countries to the European railway network.
He noted that Georgia, which plays a role of bridge between Europe and Asia, is striving to integrate into the global marketplace and achieve diversified economy.
“Our main goal is to expand economic ties in the region and beyond. We believe that Georgia's free trade agreements with Europe and China, Anaklia deep sea port and the BTK railway will contribute to the regional development,” added Kvirikashvili.
He outlined that the purpose of the Silk Road forum is to unite Georgia capabilities with those of regional partners to achieve greater economic and sustainable development.
"I believe that this forum will open up new opportunities for strengthening and deepening regional ties which will enhance economic growth and ensure security. The forum is aimed at transformation from words to action and making goals a reality,” said the Georgian prime minister.
About 2,000 delegates from 60 countries are participating in the Silk Road forum. Azerbaijan is represented by Minister of Transport, Communications and High Technologies Ramin Guluzade and Chairman of the Azerbaijan Railways CJSC Javid Gurbanov.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani soldier’s body taken by Armenia – State Commission
- 28.11.2017State Duma: Zuev’s candidacy for post of Russia’s ambassador to Azerbaijan not being considered
- 28.11.2017Ethiopia appoints honorary consul to Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM, UN reps mull issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 27.11.2017Russia recalls ambassador from Azerbaijan
- 27.11.2017EU says negotiations with Azerbaijan are advancing well so far