BTK to foster regional development – Georgian PM
The Baku-Tbilisi-Kars (BTK) railway will foster regional development, Georgian Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili said addressing the second Silk Road Forum in Tbilisi, an APA correspondent reported from Tbilisi.
Kvirikashvili reiterated Georgia’s readiness to contribute to the new Silk Road initiative.
“As you know, thanks to the close cooperation with the governments of Azerbaijan and Turkey, the BTK railway was commissioned last month,” said the prime minister, calling the BTK an alternative route linking Central Asian countries to the European railway network.
He noted that Georgia, which plays a role of bridge between Europe and Asia, is striving to integrate into the global marketplace and achieve diversified economy.
“Our main goal is to expand economic ties in the region and beyond. We believe that Georgia's free trade agreements with Europe and China, Anaklia deep sea port and the BTK railway will contribute to the regional development,” added Kvirikashvili.
He outlined that the purpose of the Silk Road forum is to unite Georgia capabilities with those of regional partners to achieve greater economic and sustainable development.
"I believe that this forum will open up new opportunities for strengthening and deepening regional ties which will enhance economic growth and ensure security. The forum is aimed at transformation from words to action and making goals a reality,” said the Georgian prime minister.
About 2,000 delegates from 60 countries are participating in the Silk Road forum. Azerbaijan is represented by Minister of Transport, Communications and High Technologies Ramin Guluzade and Chairman of the Azerbaijan Railways CJSC Javid Gurbanov.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by President of American Jewish Committee
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani soldier’s body taken by Armenia – State Commission
- 28.11.2017State Duma: Zuev’s candidacy for post of Russia’s ambassador to Azerbaijan not being considered
- 28.11.2017Ethiopia appoints honorary consul to Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM, UN reps mull issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 27.11.2017Russia recalls ambassador from Azerbaijan
- 27.11.2017EU says negotiations with Azerbaijan are advancing well so far