BTK to foster regional development – Georgian PM
The Baku-Tbilisi-Kars (BTK) railway will foster regional development, Georgian Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili said addressing the second Silk Road Forum in Tbilisi, an APA correspondent reported from Tbilisi.
Kvirikashvili reiterated Georgia’s readiness to contribute to the new Silk Road initiative.
“As you know, thanks to the close cooperation with the governments of Azerbaijan and Turkey, the BTK railway was commissioned last month,” said the prime minister, calling the BTK an alternative route linking Central Asian countries to the European railway network.
He noted that Georgia, which plays a role of bridge between Europe and Asia, is striving to integrate into the global marketplace and achieve diversified economy.
“Our main goal is to expand economic ties in the region and beyond. We believe that Georgia's free trade agreements with Europe and China, Anaklia deep sea port and the BTK railway will contribute to the regional development,” added Kvirikashvili.
He outlined that the purpose of the Silk Road forum is to unite Georgia capabilities with those of regional partners to achieve greater economic and sustainable development.
"I believe that this forum will open up new opportunities for strengthening and deepening regional ties which will enhance economic growth and ensure security. The forum is aimed at transformation from words to action and making goals a reality,” said the Georgian prime minister.
About 2,000 delegates from 60 countries are participating in the Silk Road forum. Azerbaijan is represented by Minister of Transport, Communications and High Technologies Ramin Guluzade and Chairman of the Azerbaijan Railways CJSC Javid Gurbanov.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as capital of Palestine
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel ‘an occupying, terrorist state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem issue kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 05.12.2017Baku host reception on occasion of Japanese Emperor's birthday
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Finnish counterpart
- 05.12.2017Caspian states plan to hold joint drills – Lavrov
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani soldier’s body taken by Armenia – State Commission
- 28.11.2017State Duma: Zuev’s candidacy for post of Russia’s ambassador to Azerbaijan not being considered
- 28.11.2017Ethiopia appoints honorary consul to Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM, UN reps mull issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 27.11.2017Russia recalls ambassador from Azerbaijan
- 27.11.2017EU says negotiations with Azerbaijan are advancing well so far