Georgian lawmaker of Azerbaijani origin addresses parliament on Khojaly genocide
Georgian lawmaker of Azerbaijani origin Savalan Mirzayev on Wednesday addressed the country’s parliament on the Khojaly genocide.
The MP’s speech was broadcast live, APA’s Georgia bureau reported.
Mirzayev said the tragedy that occurred 25 years ago – on 26 February 1992 – was written down in the history of the Caucasian people in black letters.
He said 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed in the tragedy committed in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
“We should achieve a proper assessment of the Khojaly genocide in order to prevent its recurrence both in the region and all over world,” said the lawmaker. “Unfortunately, this tragedy and many wars in the Caucasus were controlled from abroad. The main perpetrators of the Khojaly tragedy were separatists supported by the 366th infantry regiment of the Soviet Army. Wars must end in the Caucasus and we should achieve unity and peace in the Caucasus.”
Savalan Mirzayev is a deputy of Georgian Dream party.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. Eight families were totally exterminated, 130 children lost one parent and 25 children lost both. A total of 487 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 27.12.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: "Azerbaijan has become one of the centers of inter-civilization dialogue in the world"
- 22.02.2017Baku to host meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey Co-op Council
- 22.02.2017Russian Embassy: New lawyer will defend Lapshin
- 22.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Japanese minister - UPDATED
- 22.02.2017Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 22.02.2017Palestinian deputy PM to join 5th Global Baku Forum
- 22.02.2017Russia to mark 25th anniversary of relations with Azerbaijan