George Tsereteli: Economic cooperation among OSCE priorities
An international conference of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly (PA) Silk Road Support Group on the role of parliamentarians in boosting economic cooperation and cultural ties along the Silk Road is underway in Baku.
Addressing the opening ceremony of the conference, President of the OSCE PA George Tsereteli said that after the Silk Road initiative, many OSCE member states supported this idea and decided to join the project.
Tsereteli noted that economic cooperation is among OSCE's priorities.
"The OSCE and its Parliamentary Assembly are actively engaged in dealing problems, including fighting terrorism and conflict. However, economic cooperation is also very important. The Silk Road is a trade way along which populations live, key cities are situated. These cities are important for our peoples. We should prevent the closure of borders. This is huge importance on a regional scale,” he said.
Underlining the importance of modernizing the transport infrastructure, Tsereteli said the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway is a good example of it.
President of the Parliament of Montenegro and head of the country's delegation to the OSCE PA Ivan Brajović said that no country today can live in isolation from the world.
"The country I represent is part of the region and plays a leading role between the East and West. Today, the participating countries of the conference, having strengthened their relations in the sphere of tourism, business, culture, etc., can contribute to global development. We, like Azerbaijan, are interested in the development of these relations, and the Silk Road is also a priority for us. Azerbaijan is located on the Caspian coast, we are on the shore of the Adriatic Sea. Although our countries are small, they are of great significance,” he said.
In his speech, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov noted that though Azerbaijan is a small country it is of great importance.
Mammadyarov then spoke about the projects Azerbaijan has joined in recent years.
Chinese Ambassador to Azerbaijan Wei Jinghua said China acknowledges Azerbaijan's geo-strategic position in Eurasia.
Member of the Swiss delegation to the OSCE PA and the OSCE PA Committee on Political Affairs and Security Filippo Lombardi expressed his country’s readiness to fully support the Silk Road Support Group.
Lombardi said ties are essential for establishing peace and cooperation.
Lombardi considered dangerous the new choice of the United States that had supported free-trade relations for many years.
He also proposed including in the Baku Declaration a provision on supporting efforts to strengthen financial integration.
“This is important for supporting the establishment of infrastructure on the New Silk Road,” Lombardi added.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 15.03.2018Former US envoy to UN: Conflicts around the world will increase
- 15.03.2018Georgia to host next meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Iranian and Turkish FMs
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA to observe upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Development of economic co-op and trade relations discussed at Baku Silk Road conference
- 13.03.2018FM: Good governance in transport and trade facilitation is a priority of Azerbaijani gov’t
- 13.03.2018North-South Corridor important for establishing direct connection between India, Azerbaijan – envoy
- 13.03.2018Tsereteli: Azerbaijan is very important member of OSCE
- 13.03.2018Int’l conference of OSCE PA Silk Road Support Group kicks off in Baku