Gagauzia leader: We have similar views with Azerbaijanis on many issues - INTERVIEW
Q: How closely are the Gagauz people integrated into Moldovan society?
A: We have been inhabitants of this land for two centuries, since the establishment of the Republic of Moldova. We consider ourselves Moldovan residents and are in good relationship with all the peoples living in this country. We are a tolerant people who have peacefully coexisted together with people of different religions and ethnicities. Our national struggle was not easy. However, unlike many others, we achieved it by peaceful means. That’s the advantage of our region and we think of ourselves as a good example in the post-Soviet territory. The Moldovan parliament in a short period of time passed a law on the status of the Gagauz autonomy. We do have some questions as to the form of governance, but the law reflected the realities of the day it was passed. Today we can say that this law is one of the best. We preserved our language, as well as our culture and traditions. We are writing our own history, raising our children in Turkic spirit. That’s one of our distinctions. Another distinction is that we are orthodox Christians. We’re the only orthodox Christian Turkic people in the world.
Q: What duties and challenges lie in the way of autonomy?
A: We’re working to consolidate our status. The main duty for us, however, is the region’s economic development. Our region is sustaining itself at the expense of subsidies. The region’s revenues account for 40 percent. Therefore, the government’s number-one task is to achieve economic development and increased revenues. Our partners are assisting us adequately. What’s our difference? We live in a stable region. This allows us to adopt legislative acts to provide privileges to partners and investors. By saying investors, I mean both Moldovans and foreigners. We cooperate with many countries and also feel the support of the Turkish world. We establish active relations with Turkey, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan and Tatarstan. The Gagauz people are the only Turkish people living in the central Europe. We need help and support. I am pleasant that the social and cultural projects will be realized with our partners in Gagauzia.
Q: What other Turkic-speaking states and non-Turkic states does Gagauzia cooperate with?
A: We cooperate with ten regions of Russia, including Saint Petersburg, Moscow and others. We have also established cooperation with Minsk and Moqilyov oblasts in Belarus. We create new institutions due to these relations. We also enjoy cooperation with the Baltic states and our neighbors. There are 35,000 Gagauzians in Ukraine. We are ready to support them within the framework of a number of cultural projects. Gagauzia always welcomes those who visit here with good intentions. I am pleasant that our partners consider us reliable friends. We have laid the foundation stone for a number of good projects over the past two years.
Q: What joint projects can the autonomous territorial unit implement with Azerbaijan in the cultural and humanitarian areas?
A: I am glad to be a member of the delegation led by Moldova’s president. It is good that our authorities understand the importance of the presence of Gagauzia’s leader in trips. I felt that the Azerbaijani president was also pleasant with the presence of the Gagauzia’s leader in the delegation. I spoke in Gagauzian and the president in Azerbaijani and we understood each other very well. We have many similar features and we had a very good impression. Thus, we felt a positive emotion for establishment of future relations. We discussed the possible signing of a document between Gagauzia and one of the Azerbaijani regions. There are also discussions on the new project, which will be implemented under the auspices of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation. We are also following the processes taking place in Azerbaijan. Our children actively participate in music festivals. Last year we ranked 15th and this year took in 3rd place. We also participate in various forums on carpet weaving. We discussed a possible participation of our artists and writers in exhibitions in Azerbaijan. In general, we discussed many projects. Our interests coincide. As soon as agreements are signed, they will reflect the plan of measures in connection with the economic, social and cultural spheres. We have similar views with Azerbaijan on many issues. I am hopeful that concrete projects will be soon after the planned meeting of the intergovernmental commission.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 14.09.2017Alan Duncan: British PM intends to meet Azerbaijani president soon
- 14.09.2017UK says new ACG contract will greatly contribute to Azerbaijan’s economy
- 14.09.2017Russia’s ruling party welcomes creation of ‘Moscow-Baku axis’
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Israel’s leading defense industry enterprises
- 14.09.2017US companies continue support for Azerbaijan’s key role in global energy security
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani president meets with Turkish energy minister
- 14.09.2017Ambassador Cekuta: US-Azerbaijan co-op covers three equally important areas
- 14.09.2017PACE PA co-rapporteurs arrive in Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Switzerland
- 13.09.2017Japanese PM sends letter to Azerbaijani president on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between two countries
- 13.09.2017UK minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Vietnam will benefit from North-South transport corridor
- 13.09.2017No date set for Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 13.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body to be sent to Azerbaijan in coming days – consul general
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev recalls head of Azerbaijani mission to NATO
- 10.07.2017Tillerson: US to continue supporting SGC implementation - UPDATED
- 10.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev, heads of state and government attending 22nd World Petroleum Congress had a brief talk
- 10.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is growing stronger as Turkey strengthens
- 10.07.2017OSCE PA approves draft resolution submitted by Azerbaijani MP
- 10.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan held a meeting and dined together
- 09.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Turkey for a visit