Gagauzia leader: We have similar views with Azerbaijanis on many issues - INTERVIEW
Q: How closely are the Gagauz people integrated into Moldovan society?
A: We have been inhabitants of this land for two centuries, since the establishment of the Republic of Moldova. We consider ourselves Moldovan residents and are in good relationship with all the peoples living in this country. We are a tolerant people who have peacefully coexisted together with people of different religions and ethnicities. Our national struggle was not easy. However, unlike many others, we achieved it by peaceful means. That’s the advantage of our region and we think of ourselves as a good example in the post-Soviet territory. The Moldovan parliament in a short period of time passed a law on the status of the Gagauz autonomy. We do have some questions as to the form of governance, but the law reflected the realities of the day it was passed. Today we can say that this law is one of the best. We preserved our language, as well as our culture and traditions. We are writing our own history, raising our children in Turkic spirit. That’s one of our distinctions. Another distinction is that we are orthodox Christians. We’re the only orthodox Christian Turkic people in the world.
Q: What duties and challenges lie in the way of autonomy?
A: We’re working to consolidate our status. The main duty for us, however, is the region’s economic development. Our region is sustaining itself at the expense of subsidies. The region’s revenues account for 40 percent. Therefore, the government’s number-one task is to achieve economic development and increased revenues. Our partners are assisting us adequately. What’s our difference? We live in a stable region. This allows us to adopt legislative acts to provide privileges to partners and investors. By saying investors, I mean both Moldovans and foreigners. We cooperate with many countries and also feel the support of the Turkish world. We establish active relations with Turkey, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan and Tatarstan. The Gagauz people are the only Turkish people living in the central Europe. We need help and support. I am pleasant that the social and cultural projects will be realized with our partners in Gagauzia.
Q: What other Turkic-speaking states and non-Turkic states does Gagauzia cooperate with?
A: We cooperate with ten regions of Russia, including Saint Petersburg, Moscow and others. We have also established cooperation with Minsk and Moqilyov oblasts in Belarus. We create new institutions due to these relations. We also enjoy cooperation with the Baltic states and our neighbors. There are 35,000 Gagauzians in Ukraine. We are ready to support them within the framework of a number of cultural projects. Gagauzia always welcomes those who visit here with good intentions. I am pleasant that our partners consider us reliable friends. We have laid the foundation stone for a number of good projects over the past two years.
Q: What joint projects can the autonomous territorial unit implement with Azerbaijan in the cultural and humanitarian areas?
A: I am glad to be a member of the delegation led by Moldova’s president. It is good that our authorities understand the importance of the presence of Gagauzia’s leader in trips. I felt that the Azerbaijani president was also pleasant with the presence of the Gagauzia’s leader in the delegation. I spoke in Gagauzian and the president in Azerbaijani and we understood each other very well. We have many similar features and we had a very good impression. Thus, we felt a positive emotion for establishment of future relations. We discussed the possible signing of a document between Gagauzia and one of the Azerbaijani regions. There are also discussions on the new project, which will be implemented under the auspices of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation. We are also following the processes taking place in Azerbaijan. Our children actively participate in music festivals. Last year we ranked 15th and this year took in 3rd place. We also participate in various forums on carpet weaving. We discussed a possible participation of our artists and writers in exhibitions in Azerbaijan. In general, we discussed many projects. Our interests coincide. As soon as agreements are signed, they will reflect the plan of measures in connection with the economic, social and cultural spheres. We have similar views with Azerbaijan on many issues. I am hopeful that concrete projects will be soon after the planned meeting of the intergovernmental commission.
Related news releases
- 20.01.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to install first border marks in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to discuss state border demarcation
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 10.07.2017Tillerson: US to continue supporting SGC implementation - UPDATED
- 10.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev, heads of state and government attending 22nd World Petroleum Congress had a brief talk
- 10.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is growing stronger as Turkey strengthens
- 10.07.2017OSCE PA approves draft resolution submitted by Azerbaijani MP
- 10.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan held a meeting and dined together
- 09.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Turkey for a visit