French senator believes parliamentary diplomacy can positively affect Karabakh conflict settlement
Parliamentary diplomacy can positively affect the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, said the president of France-Caucasus Friendship Group in the French Senate André Reichardt.
There is a need to intensify contacts to resolve the conflict, Reichardt, who is leading a French delegation during a visit to Azerbaijan, said at a meeting with Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov on Friday, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The senator said the French delegation’s visit to Azerbaijan aims to get detailed information about Azerbaijan-France ties and the settlement process of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Minister Mammadyarov in turn stated that in order to find a peaceful solution to the conflict, Armenian troops should be withdrawn from the occupied Azerbaijani territories, and refugees and IDPs should return to their homes.
The Azerbaijani FM urged Armenia to demonstrate political will in order to achieve progress in the settlement process.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Book of condolences to be opened at Kyrgyz embassy in Baku tomorrow
- 29.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Qatar’s ex-PM
- 29.04.2017Brussels to host EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 28.04.2017Baku comments on Zakharova’s statement on Azerbaijani journalists
- 28.04.2017Secretary General Sawicki’s secret intelligence service in PACE - ARTICLE
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan says Turkey referendum is sign of people’s confidence in leadership
- 28.04.2017NATO allocates 100,000 euro for clearance of unexploded ordnance in Jeyranchel
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest outside Council of Europe headquarters
- 27.04.2017Italian ambassador to Azerbaijan to end his tenure this summer
- 27.04.2017Lithuanian MPs adopt statement condemning Khojaly Genocide
- 26.04.2017France says supports signing of new Azerbaijan-EU agreement
- 26.04.2017Ambassador: No facts confirming Azerbaijani companies’ participation in Yalta economic forum - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017EU says Baku talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan were ‘productive’
- 26.04.2017General: Turkey always stands by Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017Novruz Mammadov accuses US politician of spreading false information
- 26.04.2017Metsamor – the only nuclear plant based on Chernobyl technology: Azerbaijani MFA
- 25.04.2017Samad Seyidov: Future of Council of Europe is under question
- 25.04.2017Bazhanov: Russia intends to strengthen relations with post-Soviet countries, including Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan provides humanitarian aid to Yemen
- 25.04.2017PACE holds hearing on Agramunt’s recent visit to Syria
- 25.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of new Japanese ambassador - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani Delegation to PACE opposes call to reopen monitoring procedure in respect of Turkey
- 25.04.2017Trump cuts financial aid to Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2017BSEC committee meeting underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Candidates for post of UNESCO Director-General to be interviewed
- 24.04.2017Russian Foreign Ministry responds to request on measures to protect Russian citizen Dilgam Asgarov
- 24.04.2017CoE Committee of Ministers urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation
- 24.04.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Dubai tourism exhibition
- 24.04.2017Hamid Aboutalebi: Iran-Azerbaijan ties to develop further
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Lithuania
- 22.04.2017Moroccan FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2017Delegation of Azerbaijani parliament to attend PACE spring session
- 22.04.2017Azerbaijani president receives former Austrian president
- 21.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FIDE president - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017Ukrainian police take control of hijacking of Azerbaijani trucks – embassy
- 20.04.2017Top official: Azerbaijan has become leader in South Caucasus
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia hold consultations on state border delimitation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets status of guest at OECD Development Assistance Committee
- 19.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement – important step to develop bilateral cooperation - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2017Erdogan: "We discussed creating the tripartite union of Turkey, Russia and Azerbaijan"
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijani president receives OSCE MG co-chairs - UPDATED
- 12.03.2017Azerbaijan says Netherlands’ actions against Turkey go beyond diplomatic ethics
- 10.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of French senators - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan and Saudi Arabia have good prospects in cooperation – president - UPDATED
- 09.03.2017Prof Lotfi A.Zadeh congratulates Mehriban Aliyeva