FM: New Azerbaijan-EU agreement reflects support for and respect to territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
“Azerbaijan has been a reliable EU partner and has demonstrated a strong political will to develop relationship with EU based on mutual respect, equal partnership and common interests,” Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said at the meeting of foreign ministers of Visegrad (V4) Group and Eastern Partnership countries, the Azerbaijani MFA told APA.
He said that the recent visit of the President of Azerbaijan to Brussels in February opened a new chapter in bilateral ties with the official launching of a negotiations process on a new bilateral document.
“We welcome the EU’s commitment in the Global Strategy for the EU’s Foreign and Security Policy, adopted in 2016,that ‘the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of states, the inviolability of borders and peaceful settlement of disputes are key elements of the European security order and these principles apply to all states, both within and beyond the EU’s borders.’ Azerbaijan is entering into negotiation process with strong belief that the new and ambitious agreement will upgrade our ties to a level of strategic partnership and would meet the needs and the priorities of the parties in the changing political and security environment,” he said.
Strategic partnership in the field of energy remains the cornerstone of our cooperation, he added.
The minister also said that despite the concerns and against the backdrop of geopolitical and security changes and challenges in the EU neighborhood, strengthening dialogue with the EU is among Azerbaijan’s priorities.
“Over the recent years bilateral and multilateral tracks of the EaP proved to be useful instruments in sharing experience and exchange of best practices with European partners.
At the end of April we are embarking on negotiations with EU on a new bilateral Agreement. It is a must for Azerbaijan that the new Agreement clearly reflects EU`s support for and respect to the sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and inviolability of the internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan.
The respect to the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan, as well as to other countries of EaP, is not only the issue for us; it is also the matter for the EU, and crucial for development of the region,” he said.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Azerbaijani President meets with Polish Prime Minister
- 28.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “The Southern Gas Corridor is the only new source of gas supplies to Europe”
- 27.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Declaration signed between Azerbaijan and Poland is a very serious political document
- 27.06.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Poland hold expanded meeting - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Polish president: We would like to create a direct railway line between Azerbaijan and Poland
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents hold one-on-one meeting in Warsaw - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijan, Poland sign documents
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents make statements to the press
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents exchange gifts
- 27.06.2017Official welcome ceremony held for Azerbaijani president in Warsaw
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Warsaw for official visit
- 26.06.2017Uncertainty continues over Agramunt’s PACE presidency
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Russian deputy prime minister
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received President and Chairman of VTB Bank Management Board
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Executive Chairman of Formula One Group
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received editor-in-chief of Russian “Zavtra” newspaper
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Slovenian president
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Croatian president
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to France
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president completes visit to Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Georgia should implement joint educational projects - UPDATED
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to demand explanation from Czech Foreign Ministry on ambassador’s statements
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan's candidate for UNESCO director-general visits Germany
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Costa Rican counterpart in Baku
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates new Saudi crown prince
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Costa Rican FM
- 23.06.2017Malena Mard: I will get back to work in Swedish foreign ministry
- 23.06.2017UK Ambassador: Azerbaijan is not only a major global energy player but also a source of opportunity for other areas of business
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 13.04.2017Fourth meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia joint commission on demarcation kicks off in Baku
- 13.04.2017Visegrad Group welcomes Azerbaijan’s intention to continue visa liberalization dialogue with EU
- 13.04.2017Klitschko: Kyiv-Baku cooperation potential not fully realized
- 12.04.2017Lapshin has no complaints about detention conditions: Russian MFA
- 12.04.2017Baku to host meeting of EU-Azerbaijan cooperation committee
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit