FM Mammadyarov: There are over 100 Azerbaijani women, children in Iraq
Dealing with the Azerbaijani women and children being held in Iraq are the Foreign Ministry, the Interior Ministry, and the State Committee for Family, Women and Children Affairs, Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said on Monday, APA reported.
Mammadyarov said they would first discuss with the Iraqi government the questions of how those people got to that country, what they are doing, and their future.
"This issue is in the constant limelight of our embassy and consulate in Baghdad. Each of these issues will be considered individually. It's impossible to just take somebody with you and go to that country. First of all, the relevant legal issues should be determined,” he said.
The minister noted that currently, there are more than a hundred Azerbaijani women and children in Iraq. “This list will be further specified within a month,” he added.
Earlier, 2-year-old Khadija and 4-year-old Abdulla were found on a territory in Syria liberated from ISIL and were both placed in a refugee camp in Baghdad. There are reports that the children had been taken to ISIL-controlled areas by their parents. After those areas were cleared from terrorists, children left unattended were taken to Iraq by security forces.
A while ago, Abdulla was brought to Azerbaijan and handed over to his grandfather.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 30.10.2017Date of next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement announced
- 30.10.2017Kremlin: Russian, Azerbaijani, Iranian presidents to meet in Tehran
- 30.10.2017EU says opening of BTK 'a major step' in transport interconnections
- 30.10.2017Foreign ministers of Caspian states to meet in Moscow
- 30.10.2017Kazakh prime minister arrives in Azerbaijan
- 30.10.2017Baku to host meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Pakistani FMs