FM Mammadyarov says Azerbaijan interested in building ties with EU on mutually agreed priorities
Azerbaijan has been a reliable EU partner, and the growing number of strategic partners among the EU member states and V4 Group inspires it to advance dialogue with the EU under the same conditions, Azerbaijani Foreign Minster Elmar Mammadyarov said.
“We are interested in progressing our bilateral track through speedy negotiations on a new strategic agreement with the EU. Since official launch of the negotiations back in February we have engaged in a productive and constructive dialogue within different blocks of the agreement,” Mammadyarov said at the meeting of Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Visegrad Group (V4) and the Eastern Partnership countries in Budapest on Aug. 31, the Foreign Ministry told APA.
The minister emphasized that Azerbaijan is also interested in building its relations with EU based on mutually agreed priorities.
Mammadyarov said that the EU-Azerbaijan Partnership Priorities will translate these goals into concrete areas of cooperation.
“First, Azerbaijan is a key enabler of the 45-50 bln. US dollar Southern Gas Corridor (SGC) – largest infrastructure and energy project in Europe with the aim of bringing alternative gas to the European markets. SGC with potential of meeting up to 20% of EU’s gas demand in the future is unique project of energy diversification, as we will observe diversification of routes and sources. Moreover located on the strategic crossroads of East and West Azerbaijan is open to potential initiatives on expansion of inter-regional energy connectivity and bringing Central Asia closer to European energy architecture,” he said.
The foreign minister went on to say: “Second, unique participatory framework of the SGC - involving diverse stakeholders from EaP region, as well as EU member states and candidate countries may be deployed in other areas of common interest, particularly transport, via exploring synergies for establishment of new transport-transit routes connecting Europe and Asia, Europe – South and North – South.Today Azerbaijan has involved in implementation of several major transport projects to promote East-West and North-South corridors. This week Azerbaijan along with 4 other countries signed an agreement in Kabul on Lapis Lazuli Corridor – new transit route projected to transport goods to European markets.”
“For regional projects like Trans-Caspian International Transit Route, connecting China with Europe, broader participation, including Central Asian states should be considered. This will also be in line with EU’s connectivity agenda aiming to expand trans-European networks further to the East.”
Promotion of the mobility and people-to-people contacts is an important dimension of EU-Azerbaijan interaction, stressed Mammadyarov. “We do believe that the successful implementation of readmission and visa facilitation agreements should pave the way for launching the dialogue on visa liberalization between EU and Azerbaijan.”
“In addition, the revised ENP has put forward the stabilization as the most urgent challenge in many parts of the European Neighbourhood. True stabilization is unimaginable without the settlement of protracted military conflicts which threaten the stability and cooperation in the EaP geography,” he added.
The Azerbaijani minister said that the EAP Summit to be held in November is an important event. “We believe that the negotiations on the text of the Summit Declaration should be started at the earliest convenience. We expect upcoming Brussels Summit Declaration to capture united and coherent approach to the settlement of conflicts, as well as reflecting on negative impacts of existing conflicts for full-scale implementation of EaP objectives,” he said.
“It is an absolute necessity that the key principles enshrined in the Global Strategy for the EU’s Foreign and Security Policy, particularly those pertaining to the sovereignty, territorial integrity, and the inviolability of borders of states are equally respected by all participating states. Only living up to the principles identified as the key elements of the European security order will determine the EU’s credibility and influence it for the years ahead,” Mammadyarov concluded.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Algerian justice minister
- 23.06.2018Afghan deputy FM says relations with Azerbaijan at highest level
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE Bureau and committee meetings
- 01.09.2017Lavrov: If West accepted our proposals, Nagorno-Karabakh and Transnistrian conflicts would have been settled long ago
- 02.09.2017Three Azerbaijani citizens released from prison in Libya
- 31.08.2017MFA: Measures underway to repatriate body of Azerbaijani national killed in Beirut road accident
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Kyrgyz counterpart
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijani parliament: If Armenian MPs appeal to attend Euronest PA’s Baku conference, it will be considered