FM Mammadyarov highlights importance of release of Azerbaijani hostages at meeting with ICRC president
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Peter Maurer, President of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on the sidelines of the working visit to the United Nations Office at Geneva, the Foreign Ministry told APA.
The sides expressed satisfaction with the development of the cooperation over more than 20 years and exchanged views on the works carried out and prospects of development of relations. In this regard, the assistance and support rendered by ICRC to Azerbaijan was highly appreciated and it was pointed out that the ICRC remains a key international humanitarian partner for Azerbaijan.
Mammadyarov touched upon the humanitarian aspects of the Armenia’s military aggression against Azerbaijan and highlighted the importance of the release of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev, illegally taken hostages by armed forces of Armenia while visiting their native territories in July, 2014.
The minister pointed out that Armenia by changing the demographic situation in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, thus providing illegal settlement of ethnic Armenian refugees from Syria and carrying out illegal economic and other activities blatantly violates its commitments under the international humanitarian law, particularly Geneva Conventions.
At the meeting the humanitarian activities carried out by the ICRC along the Line of Contact zone, DNA sample collection of the missing people as a result of conflict was praised. The necessity of continuing such efforts within the framework of effective mutual cooperation was emphasized.
The sides exchanged views on the future perspectives of relations between Azerbaijan and ICRC.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2018Latvia: 'I think highly of voting process in Azerbaijan'
- 23.03.2018Date and agenda of PACE spring session announced
- 23.03.2018Flag hoisting ceremony held in Pakistani embassy in Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Pakistani counterpart
- 22.03.2018PACE co-rapporteurs to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani MP: Many CoE countries are suffering from conflicts
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan interested in developing relations with PACE on basis of mutual respect
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan calls for Islamic solidarity in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017PACE Committee meeting kicks off in Baku
- 15.03.2017French President official dinner reception in honor of Azerbaijani President
- 15.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: “The EU countries are our main trading partners”