FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
Azerbaijan supports a just and lasting solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, said Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov.
Mammadyarov made the remarks at the meeting of the Ministerial Committee of the Non-Aligned Movement on Palestine in New York on Sept. 19, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
He noted that Azerbaijan as any other member of international community is deeply concerned over wars and armed conflicts in various parts of the world, which lead to political instability in some regions, large-scale displacement and unprecedented humanitarian crisis.
According to the Azerbaijani minister, the lack of settlement to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict poses threat not only to this region, but also to the international security.
Azerbaijan supports peaceful resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and stands beside the Palestinian people, Mammadyarov stressed. “Azerbaijan stands for the two-state solution of the Palestinian conflict with East Jerusalem as the capital of the State of Palestine. In this regard, I would like to reaffirm Azerbaijan’s full support to the brotherly people of Palestine in their struggle for achieving peace, stability and sustainable development. As the future chairman of the NAM, Azerbaijan will seek to use this function to contribute to the peaceful resolution of the conflict based on international law, and the solid position of our Movement.”
Mamamdyarov went on to say that Azerbaijan and Palestine enjoy close political dialogue and hold regular consultations at different levels.
Recalling the high level Azerbaijani delegation’s visit to Ramallah in May 2016, the foreign minister said that during the visit bilateral agreements were signed aimed at further intensification of practical cooperation. “It was reciprocated by a high-level delegation representing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Palestine visiting Baku in February 2017,” he added.
He emphasized that emanating from shared values and culture, Palestine and Azerbaijan historically cooperated and supported each other in all international forums and organizations.
“The spirit of this solidarity has been proved in different instances. Azerbaijan has hosted two successful conferences, namely, “The donor’s conference to finance the strategic plan for the development of the city of Al-Quds Al-Sharif” and “The establishment of Islamic financial safety net in support of the state of Palestine” in 2013 and made significant donations for the development and maintenance of the holy city’s infrastructure,” he said, noting that this year Azerbaijan hosted the International Conference on the Question of Jerusalem under auspices of the United Nations Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People with the support of the Organization for Islamic Cooperation.
The Conference provided up-to-date information on the current situation in East Jerusalem under occupation, examined the latest developments, and explored practical ways, added Mammadyarov.
According to him, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict underscores the urgency of acting collectively, immediately and determinedly to end this five decade conflict in accordance with international law, including humanitarian and human rights law.
“It requires international intervention and political will to address the root causes of the conflict in achieving a just, lasting solution to the question of Palestine in all its aspects based on international law and relevant UN resolutions,” said Mammadyarov concluding his speech.
Related news releases
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 13.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria is a very important partner for Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet in Geneva on Oct. 16
- 13.10.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Bulgaria make press statements
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Bulgarian presidents meet in Baku
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president officially welcomed in Baku
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Iran's economy minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Date of Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian, Iranian presidents revealed
- 12.10.2017Official of U.S. Department of Defense arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Preparation for Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Iranian, Russian presidents underway
- 12.10.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan on Oct. 30 – envoy
- 12.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Who needs PACE and what for?
- 11.10.2017PACE's adoption of such tendentious documents make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with CoE: Ali Hasanov
- 11.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King of Spain
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
- 11.10.2017CIS summit kicks off in Sochi
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 11.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 10.10.2017Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan says new deal with EU creates important framework for comprehensive development of ties
- 09.10.2017Date of Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan revealed
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has very positive reputation on international arena
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijani delegation head voices pessimism about future of PACE
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador