First ballot for nomination of UNESCO director-general scheduled for Oct. 9
A voting process for the nomination of the Director-General of UNESCO will start on October 9 during the 202nd session of the Executive Board to be held on October 4-18, said the message posted on the organization’s website.
The first ballot will be cast on October 9 in the end of afternoon plenary.
If the required majority is not obtained by a candidate, then the second, third and fourth ballots will be held on October 10, 11 and 12 accordingly. If the required majority is not obtained by a candidate, then a final ballot shall be taken, restricted to the two candidates who obtained the most votes in the fourth ballot.
The Director-General is nominated by the Executive Board and appointed by the General Conference. The Director-General of UNESCO is the Organization’s Chief Administrative Officer. The Director-General may be appointed initially for a period of four years, and may be appointed for a further term of four years, but shall not be eligible for reappointment for a subsequent term.
The 39th session of the General Conference will be held on October 30-November 14 in Paris.
Among the member states, Azerbaijan nominated Polad Bulbuloglu as a candidate for the post of Director General of UNESCO. The other candidates are Pham Sanh Chau from Vietnam, Moushira Khattab from Egypt, Hamad bin Abdulaziz Al-Kawari from Qatar, Qian Tang from China, Juan Alfonso Fuentes Soria from Guatemala, Saleh Al-Hasnawi from Iraq, Vera El-Khoury Lacoeuilhe from Lebanon and Audrey Azoulay from France.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 04.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Democracy, all freedoms ensured in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 04.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives CEO of Italian Leonardo company - UPDATED
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "If Azerbaijan leaves the Council of Europe, nothing will change in our life"
- 03.10.2017Ambassador: Germany wants relations with Turkey to be normalized soon
- 03.10.2017Germany expresses support for Azerbaijan-EU relations
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan ‘the most important partner’ for Germany in South Caucasus, envoy says