First ballot for nomination of UNESCO director-general scheduled for Oct. 9
A voting process for the nomination of the Director-General of UNESCO will start on October 9 during the 202nd session of the Executive Board to be held on October 4-18, said the message posted on the organization’s website.
The first ballot will be cast on October 9 in the end of afternoon plenary.
If the required majority is not obtained by a candidate, then the second, third and fourth ballots will be held on October 10, 11 and 12 accordingly. If the required majority is not obtained by a candidate, then a final ballot shall be taken, restricted to the two candidates who obtained the most votes in the fourth ballot.
The Director-General is nominated by the Executive Board and appointed by the General Conference. The Director-General of UNESCO is the Organization’s Chief Administrative Officer. The Director-General may be appointed initially for a period of four years, and may be appointed for a further term of four years, but shall not be eligible for reappointment for a subsequent term.
The 39th session of the General Conference will be held on October 30-November 14 in Paris.
Among the member states, Azerbaijan nominated Polad Bulbuloglu as a candidate for the post of Director General of UNESCO. The other candidates are Pham Sanh Chau from Vietnam, Moushira Khattab from Egypt, Hamad bin Abdulaziz Al-Kawari from Qatar, Qian Tang from China, Juan Alfonso Fuentes Soria from Guatemala, Saleh Al-Hasnawi from Iraq, Vera El-Khoury Lacoeuilhe from Lebanon and Audrey Azoulay from France.
Related news releases
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 13.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria is a very important partner for Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet in Geneva on Oct. 16
- 13.10.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Bulgaria make press statements
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Bulgarian presidents meet in Baku
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president officially welcomed in Baku
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Iran's economy minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Date of Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian, Iranian presidents revealed
- 12.10.2017Official of U.S. Department of Defense arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Preparation for Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Iranian, Russian presidents underway
- 12.10.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan on Oct. 30 – envoy
- 12.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Who needs PACE and what for?
- 11.10.2017PACE's adoption of such tendentious documents make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with CoE: Ali Hasanov
- 11.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King of Spain
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
- 11.10.2017CIS summit kicks off in Sochi
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 11.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 10.10.2017Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan says new deal with EU creates important framework for comprehensive development of ties
- 09.10.2017Date of Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan revealed
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has very positive reputation on international arena
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijani delegation head voices pessimism about future of PACE
- 04.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Democracy, all freedoms ensured in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 04.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives CEO of Italian Leonardo company - UPDATED
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "If Azerbaijan leaves the Council of Europe, nothing will change in our life"
- 03.10.2017Ambassador: Germany wants relations with Turkey to be normalized soon
- 03.10.2017Germany expresses support for Azerbaijan-EU relations
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan ‘the most important partner’ for Germany in South Caucasus, envoy says