First ballot for nomination of UNESCO director-general scheduled for Oct. 9
A voting process for the nomination of the Director-General of UNESCO will start on October 9 during the 202nd session of the Executive Board to be held on October 4-18, said the message posted on the organization’s website.
The first ballot will be cast on October 9 in the end of afternoon plenary.
If the required majority is not obtained by a candidate, then the second, third and fourth ballots will be held on October 10, 11 and 12 accordingly. If the required majority is not obtained by a candidate, then a final ballot shall be taken, restricted to the two candidates who obtained the most votes in the fourth ballot.
The Director-General is nominated by the Executive Board and appointed by the General Conference. The Director-General of UNESCO is the Organization’s Chief Administrative Officer. The Director-General may be appointed initially for a period of four years, and may be appointed for a further term of four years, but shall not be eligible for reappointment for a subsequent term.
The 39th session of the General Conference will be held on October 30-November 14 in Paris.
Among the member states, Azerbaijan nominated Polad Bulbuloglu as a candidate for the post of Director General of UNESCO. The other candidates are Pham Sanh Chau from Vietnam, Moushira Khattab from Egypt, Hamad bin Abdulaziz Al-Kawari from Qatar, Qian Tang from China, Juan Alfonso Fuentes Soria from Guatemala, Saleh Al-Hasnawi from Iraq, Vera El-Khoury Lacoeuilhe from Lebanon and Audrey Azoulay from France.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 04.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Democracy, all freedoms ensured in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 04.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives CEO of Italian Leonardo company - UPDATED
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "If Azerbaijan leaves the Council of Europe, nothing will change in our life"
- 03.10.2017Ambassador: Germany wants relations with Turkey to be normalized soon
- 03.10.2017Germany expresses support for Azerbaijan-EU relations
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan ‘the most important partner’ for Germany in South Caucasus, envoy says