26th anniversary of Khojaly genocide commemorated in Houston
An event has been held at the University of Houston in Texas to commemorate the 26th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide.
The event was co-organized by the Houston-Baku Sister City Association, the Azerbaijan Center and the Israel-Azerbaijan International Association, with the support of the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US.
Teachers and students of the university, representatives of the Azerbaijani community in Houston as well as representatives of the local community attended the event. The authors of the "Black Snowdrops" book Efim Abramov (Israel) and Leila Begim (Czech Republic) also participated in the event.
The event's opening speech was made by James Ortiz, deputy rector for global strategy and research at the University of Houston. He underlined the importance of the Azerbaijan-US and Houston-Baku cooperation, stressing the university’s attention to this issue by hosting this event.
Director of the Azerbaijan Center and President of the Houston-Baku Sister City Association (HBSCA) Irada Akhundova noted that the Khojaly genocide is an unforgettable event for every Azerbaijani and that the world community should constantly be informed about this tragedy.
Vugar Gurbanov, an advisor at Azerbaijan’s Embassy in the U.S., said in his speech that the Khojaly massacre was aimed at breaking the will of the Azerbaijani people and state, and Azerbaijan’s other territories were occupied under the same scenario.
“However, the aggressors failed to break the will of the Azerbaijani people and state,” Gurbanov said, stressing that Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity will be restored with the people’s support and those who are responsible for the Khojaly massacre will be brought to justice.
L. Begim, co-author of the book, said that this work was devoted to the victims of the ethnic cleansing campaign against Azerbaijanis. Then she recited a poem dedicated to the massacre victims.
Lev Spivak, director general of the Israel-Azerbaijan International Association, spoke about the Azerbaijani-Israeli relations and gave detailed information about their activities regarding the Khojaly tragedy.
At the end of the event, discussions were held on further activities to inform the public about the realities of the Khojaly genocide.
- 23.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Algerian justice minister
- 23.06.2018Afghan deputy FM says relations with Azerbaijan at highest level
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Geneva
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijan changes e-visa issuance procedure
- 28.02.2018The event of the Armenian Diaspora organizations in the European Parliament failured
- 26.02.2018Georgia stands against escalation of Karabakh conflict – President Margvelashvili
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev phones Turkish counterpart
- 26.02.2018Turkish envoy: Those responsible for Khojaly tragedy should be brought to justice