26th anniversary of Khojaly genocide commemorated in Houston
An event has been held at the University of Houston in Texas to commemorate the 26th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide.
The event was co-organized by the Houston-Baku Sister City Association, the Azerbaijan Center and the Israel-Azerbaijan International Association, with the support of the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US.
Teachers and students of the university, representatives of the Azerbaijani community in Houston as well as representatives of the local community attended the event. The authors of the "Black Snowdrops" book Efim Abramov (Israel) and Leila Begim (Czech Republic) also participated in the event.
The event's opening speech was made by James Ortiz, deputy rector for global strategy and research at the University of Houston. He underlined the importance of the Azerbaijan-US and Houston-Baku cooperation, stressing the university’s attention to this issue by hosting this event.
Director of the Azerbaijan Center and President of the Houston-Baku Sister City Association (HBSCA) Irada Akhundova noted that the Khojaly genocide is an unforgettable event for every Azerbaijani and that the world community should constantly be informed about this tragedy.
Vugar Gurbanov, an advisor at Azerbaijan’s Embassy in the U.S., said in his speech that the Khojaly massacre was aimed at breaking the will of the Azerbaijani people and state, and Azerbaijan’s other territories were occupied under the same scenario.
“However, the aggressors failed to break the will of the Azerbaijani people and state,” Gurbanov said, stressing that Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity will be restored with the people’s support and those who are responsible for the Khojaly massacre will be brought to justice.
L. Begim, co-author of the book, said that this work was devoted to the victims of the ethnic cleansing campaign against Azerbaijanis. Then she recited a poem dedicated to the massacre victims.
Lev Spivak, director general of the Israel-Azerbaijan International Association, spoke about the Azerbaijani-Israeli relations and gave detailed information about their activities regarding the Khojaly tragedy.
At the end of the event, discussions were held on further activities to inform the public about the realities of the Khojaly genocide.
- 23.03.2018Latvia: 'I think highly of voting process in Azerbaijan'
- 23.03.2018Date and agenda of PACE spring session announced
- 23.03.2018Flag hoisting ceremony held in Pakistani embassy in Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Pakistani counterpart
- 22.03.2018PACE co-rapporteurs to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Geneva
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijan changes e-visa issuance procedure
- 28.02.2018The event of the Armenian Diaspora organizations in the European Parliament failured
- 26.02.2018Georgia stands against escalation of Karabakh conflict – President Margvelashvili
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev phones Turkish counterpart
- 26.02.2018Turkish envoy: Those responsible for Khojaly tragedy should be brought to justice