European Parliament delegation due in Azerbaijan
A delegation from the European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee, led by its Chair David McAllister (EPP, DE), will travel to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia on 22-25 May to meet the presidents, speakers, parliamentarians from the ruling as well as opposition parties and civil society representatives.
The 8 members of the European Parliament are to take stock of a recent deal on a new EU-Armenia agreement, the advancement of negotiations on a new EU-Azerbaijan agreement and the deepening of EU-Georgia relations, the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan told APA.
Ahead of the visit Mr. McAllister said that his colleagues and he are looking forward to their visit to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia next week.
“This is a region of great importance for the EU and a major counterpart to our Eastern Partnership policy. We share many interests, notably in terms of promoting peace, security and trade, and we also seek to uphold our values – especially democracy, rule of law, good governance, human rights and fundamental freedoms – as we seek to further deepen our partnerships,” he said.
In addition to Mr. McAllister, the EP’s delegation will be composed of seven MEPs: Mr. László Tokes, (EPP, HU), Ms. Željana Zovko (EPP, HR), Mr. Andrejs Mamikins (S&D, LV), Mr. Angel Dzhambazki, (ECR, BG), Mr. Ivo Vajgl (ALDE, SL), Mr. Helmut Scholz (GUE/NGL, DE) and, representing the interparliamentary delegation, Ms. Heidi Hautala (Greens, FI).
The delegation is planning to visit Azerbaijan on 22 May and meet the authorities including President Ilham Aliyev, the Chairman of the Milli Mejlis (Parliament) Ogtay Asadov and parliamentarians as well as with civil society representatives.
On 23 May, the MEPs will head to Georgia. The EP’s delegation is to finish its mission in Armenia on 25 May.
The EU is currently reshaping its relationship with Armenia and Azerbaijan through new agreements for which the negotiations have just ended (Armenia) or just started (Azerbaijan). The MEPs’ visit will feed into the European Parliament’s report and recommendation on these agreements to be drawn up later this year.
Related news releases
- 17.08.2017Children of some countries’ presidents and ex-presidents to attend Baku forum
- 17.08.2017Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrated in Baku
- 16.08.2017Vladimir Dorokhin: Number of Azerbaijanis studying in Russia increases day by day
- 14.08.2017Ambassador: Pakistan-Azerbaijan relations higher than strategic partnership
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Egyptian president
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani president receives Chairman of Belarusian State Border Committee
- 09.08.2017Turkmen president departs from Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates president of Singapore
- 08.08.2017Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 08.08.2017Status of Caspian Sea discussed during meeting of Azerbaijani PM and Turkmen president
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan stand for transforming Caspian Sea into source of stability’
- 08.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev: ‘Turkmenistan-Azerbaijan relations at highest level’
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan stand for preserving int’l and regional security’
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan president: ‘We want lasting stability and peace in the region’
- 08.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkmenistan co-op will deepen - UPDATED
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents make statement to the press
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan sign documents
- 08.08.2017Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmen-Azerbaijani relations experiencing new stage’
- 08.08.2017Ambassador: ‘Nawaz Sharif's dismissal will not affect Pakistan's relations with other countries’
- 08.08.2017Ambassador: ‘Azerbaijan-Pakistan military coop developing in upward trend’
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents hold meeting in expanded format
- 08.08.2017Turkmen president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 08.08.2017Tajikistan appoints new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 05.08.2017Turkmen president to visit Azerbaijan
- 04.08.2017Ogtay Asadov to attend Rouhani’s oath-taking ceremony in Iran
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani president calls for unity among Muslim nations
- 03.08.2017Indonesia will always support Azerbaijan in Nagorno-Karabakh issue – ambassador
- 03.08.2017EU allocates € 13.5M to Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 01.08.2017ECHR initiates communication upon lawsuit filed by spouses of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 31.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Arizona House of Representatives Speaker
- 31.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassador of Burkina Faso
- 27.07.2017Israeli embassy comments on Lapshin’s request
- 25.07.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates presidents of Liberia and Maldives
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani, Hungarian FMs meet
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijani, Russian presidents discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.07.2017Meeting of Presidents of Russia and Azerbaijan held in Sochi
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Russia for working visit
- 21.07.2017Egyptian embassy organizes official reception in Baku
- 21.07.2017Communiqué on closure of Al-Aqsa Mosque adopted at Baku conference
- 21.07.2017Ambassador: Protraction of Jerusalem problem indicates existence of double standards in int’l policy
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijan says hopes for proper consideration of VAK appeal
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: We’ll continue to deepen our cooperation with Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: $1.3 billion financial aid allocated for Azerbaijan over last 25 years
- 18.05.2017UN official to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 17.05.2017Karasin: Russia seeks Caspian Sea to be an example of cooperation, not confrontation