European Parliament delegation due in Azerbaijan
A delegation from the European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee, led by its Chair David McAllister (EPP, DE), will travel to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia on 22-25 May to meet the presidents, speakers, parliamentarians from the ruling as well as opposition parties and civil society representatives.
The 8 members of the European Parliament are to take stock of a recent deal on a new EU-Armenia agreement, the advancement of negotiations on a new EU-Azerbaijan agreement and the deepening of EU-Georgia relations, the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan told APA.
Ahead of the visit Mr. McAllister said that his colleagues and he are looking forward to their visit to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia next week.
“This is a region of great importance for the EU and a major counterpart to our Eastern Partnership policy. We share many interests, notably in terms of promoting peace, security and trade, and we also seek to uphold our values – especially democracy, rule of law, good governance, human rights and fundamental freedoms – as we seek to further deepen our partnerships,” he said.
In addition to Mr. McAllister, the EP’s delegation will be composed of seven MEPs: Mr. László Tokes, (EPP, HU), Ms. Željana Zovko (EPP, HR), Mr. Andrejs Mamikins (S&D, LV), Mr. Angel Dzhambazki, (ECR, BG), Mr. Ivo Vajgl (ALDE, SL), Mr. Helmut Scholz (GUE/NGL, DE) and, representing the interparliamentary delegation, Ms. Heidi Hautala (Greens, FI).
The delegation is planning to visit Azerbaijan on 22 May and meet the authorities including President Ilham Aliyev, the Chairman of the Milli Mejlis (Parliament) Ogtay Asadov and parliamentarians as well as with civil society representatives.
On 23 May, the MEPs will head to Georgia. The EP’s delegation is to finish its mission in Armenia on 25 May.
The EU is currently reshaping its relationship with Armenia and Azerbaijan through new agreements for which the negotiations have just ended (Armenia) or just started (Azerbaijan). The MEPs’ visit will feed into the European Parliament’s report and recommendation on these agreements to be drawn up later this year.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2017Lukashenko: Azerbaijan’s high achievements are an example for many states
- 24.05.2017Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Erdogan: Turkey highly appreciates Azerbaijan’s achievements in all areas
- 24.05.2017Pope Francis congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Volume of US financial aid to Azerbaijan revealed
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary
- 24.05.2017Armenian representative’s objection causes discontent in Euronest PA
- 24.05.2017UK envoy: Terrorism will never win
- 24.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to visit Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for New York
- 23.05.2017Kings of Sweden, Norway and Netherlands send congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Frank-Walter Steinmeier sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s policy aimed at putting an end to conflicts between Muslim countries
- 23.05.2017MFA comments on anti-Azerbaijani article published in Russian state news agency
- 23.05.2017UK embassy in Azerbaijan to open book of condolences
- 23.05.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to change region’s fate - Turkish PM
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Theresa May
- 23.05.2017No Azerbaijanis among victims of Manchester explosion
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among Manchester blast victims
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives UAE delegation - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani FM briefs European Parliament delegation on settlement process of Karabakh conflict
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit ends with adoption of Istanbul Declaration
- 22.05.2017Erdogan: Some were suspicious that BSEC could continue to exist long
- 22.05.2017MP: Azerbaijan supports organizing peace platform between Armenia, Azerbaijan at European Parliament
- 22.05.2017Romanian investors seeking to expand relations with Azerbaijan, says envoy
- 22.05.2017European Parliament committee chair says Azerbaijan is a valuable partner for Europe
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit: Erdogan sharply reacts to Armenian deputy FM’s anti-Azerbaijani remarks
- 22.05.2017Parl’t speaker: Armenia violates regional security, stability by continuing occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives European Parliament delegation
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit kicks off in Istanbul - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani president meets crown prince of Abu Dhabi
- 21.05.2017Riyadh hosted Arab Islamic American Summit president Ilham Aliyev attended the event - UPDATED
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister starts official visit to Georgia
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijani president visits Saudi Arabia
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit Turkey
- 19.05.2017Ambassador: Hungary has strongest relations with Azerbaijan among South Caucasus countries
- 19.05.2017UAE foreign minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan to attend CoE Committee of Ministers meeting in Cyprus
- 16.05.2017Chairperson of Kuwaiti Cabinet Committee on Women's Affairs awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijan says hopes for proper consideration of VAK appeal
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: We’ll continue to deepen our cooperation with Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: $1.3 billion financial aid allocated for Azerbaijan over last 25 years
- 18.05.2017UN official to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 17.05.2017Karasin: Russia seeks Caspian Sea to be an example of cooperation, not confrontation