European Parliament delegation due in Azerbaijan
A delegation from the European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee, led by its Chair David McAllister (EPP, DE), will travel to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia on 22-25 May to meet the presidents, speakers, parliamentarians from the ruling as well as opposition parties and civil society representatives.
The 8 members of the European Parliament are to take stock of a recent deal on a new EU-Armenia agreement, the advancement of negotiations on a new EU-Azerbaijan agreement and the deepening of EU-Georgia relations, the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan told APA.
Ahead of the visit Mr. McAllister said that his colleagues and he are looking forward to their visit to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia next week.
“This is a region of great importance for the EU and a major counterpart to our Eastern Partnership policy. We share many interests, notably in terms of promoting peace, security and trade, and we also seek to uphold our values – especially democracy, rule of law, good governance, human rights and fundamental freedoms – as we seek to further deepen our partnerships,” he said.
In addition to Mr. McAllister, the EP’s delegation will be composed of seven MEPs: Mr. László Tokes, (EPP, HU), Ms. Željana Zovko (EPP, HR), Mr. Andrejs Mamikins (S&D, LV), Mr. Angel Dzhambazki, (ECR, BG), Mr. Ivo Vajgl (ALDE, SL), Mr. Helmut Scholz (GUE/NGL, DE) and, representing the interparliamentary delegation, Ms. Heidi Hautala (Greens, FI).
The delegation is planning to visit Azerbaijan on 22 May and meet the authorities including President Ilham Aliyev, the Chairman of the Milli Mejlis (Parliament) Ogtay Asadov and parliamentarians as well as with civil society representatives.
On 23 May, the MEPs will head to Georgia. The EP’s delegation is to finish its mission in Armenia on 25 May.
The EU is currently reshaping its relationship with Armenia and Azerbaijan through new agreements for which the negotiations have just ended (Armenia) or just started (Azerbaijan). The MEPs’ visit will feed into the European Parliament’s report and recommendation on these agreements to be drawn up later this year.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to France
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president completes visit to Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Georgia should implement joint educational projects - UPDATED
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to demand explanation from Czech Foreign Ministry on ambassador’s statements
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan's candidate for UNESCO director-general visits Germany
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Costa Rican counterpart in Baku
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates new Saudi crown prince
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Costa Rican FM
- 23.06.2017Malena Mard: I will get back to work in Swedish foreign ministry
- 23.06.2017UK Ambassador: Azerbaijan is not only a major global energy player but also a source of opportunity for other areas of business
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 21.06.2017Moldovan president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives former French PM - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences over former German chancellor's death - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Lao foreign minister - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: European Parliament resolution on Azerbaijan is unfair
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolence over Helmut Kohl’s death
- 17.06.2017Robert Cekuta: Diversity of Azerbaijan’s religious communities is source of strength
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan confirms its composition of joint intergovernmental commission with Israel
- 16.06.2017Hassan Rouhani sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Colombian FM - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Parl’t deputy speaker: European Parliament’s anti-Azerbaijani resolution causes regret
- 16.06.2017EU says relations with Azerbaijan entered ‘a new stage’
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani President: Azerbaijan is ready to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties with the EU
- 16.06.2017Colombian FM in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.06.2017Johannes Hahn: Southern Gas Corridor is a strategic project for EU - INTERVIEW
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives IPU secretary general - UPDATED
- 14.06.2017Elmar Mammadyarov receives EU representatives
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijan says hopes for proper consideration of VAK appeal
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: We’ll continue to deepen our cooperation with Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: $1.3 billion financial aid allocated for Azerbaijan over last 25 years
- 18.05.2017UN official to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 17.05.2017Karasin: Russia seeks Caspian Sea to be an example of cooperation, not confrontation