EU’s recognition of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is of great importance – deputy FM
The recognition of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity by the European Union is of great importance for bilateral ties, said Deputy Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan Mahmud Mammad-Guliyev.
He made the remarks at the 15th meeting of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee in Baku on May 7, APA reports.
The deputy FM noted that cooperation with the EU is among Azerbaijan’s priorities.
According to Mammad-Guliyev, the existing mutually beneficial cooperation meets the interests of each side.
“The signing of an agreement on partnership and cooperation, facilitation of the visa regime, the adoption of a joint declaration on partnership in the field of mobility and other steps led to successful cooperation. At present, Azerbaijan is EU’s biggest trade partner is the South Caucasus,” the deputy minister said.
The agreement on mutual respect and common interests forms the strategic basis for partnership, said Mammad-Guliyev, underlining the importance of signing a new agreement.
He said that a strategic understanding in the field of energy was of great importance. “Azerbaijan demonstrated its position at the Eastern Partnership Summit in Riga,” the deputy minister added.
Mammad-Guliyev also spoke about the work done in 2016-2017 towards the signing of a new agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU on strategic partnership.
“It is about three directions. First, the main issue for Azerbaijan in the political sphere is reflection of mutual obligations in the agreement. This includes the recognition of internationally recognized borders. The territorial integrity of Azerbaijan is of great importance for Europe, as a whole for regional stability and development. EU’s recognition of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is of great importance for bilateral ties,” he said.
The deputy minister went on to say that the parties have also reached an agreement on human rights and democracy issues.
According to the deputy minister, trade and investment issues are on the second place.
He noted that negotiations on these issues should be conducted in accordance with the principles of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
“In the past, the EU has identified some flexible approaches which covered non-WTO members,” Mammad-Guliyev said, adding. “Sectoral issues – science, education and innovation, culture, youth, tourism – are on the third place. We have already reached an agreement on a number of issues, including energy cooperation. We have also agreed on the issue of civil society.”
The deputy minister said that it is possible to also achieve progress in issues related to economic development, expansion of trade, environment, rule of law and multiculturalism.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018Azerbaijan’s parliamentary speaker starts visit to Georgia
- 26.05.2018San Diego proclaims May 28 as “100th Anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic Day”
- 26.05.2018Mayor of Cleveland signs proclamation designating May 28 as Centennial Celebration of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 25.05.2018Japan’s Emperor Akihito congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.05.2018Jamestown Foundation dedicates article to centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2018Los Angeles celebrates 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 24.05.2018Consultations held in Astana concerning Caspian legal status
- 24.05.2018Chinese president: Azerbaijan’s int’l status and influence growing day after day
- 24.05.2018Putin: Azerbaijan enjoys great authority in int’l community
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani president pardons 634 people - UPDATED
- 24.05.2018Ambassador: French FM’s upcoming visit to Azerbaijan will be contribution to ADR centenary
- 24.05.2018Donald Trump sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Stefan Schennach: Samad Seyidov has to be replaced in PACE June session
- 23.05.2018Turkmen, Ukrainian leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Azerbaijan’s stability of huge importance to EU
- 07.05.2018Deputy FM: Natural resources from occupied Azerbaijani territories being marketed to EU countries
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijani, Russian presidents hold phone talk
- 07.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: EU is Azerbaijan’s largest trade partner - UPDATED
- 06.05.2018The OIC Council of Foreign Ministers supported the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey, Ukraine hold trilateral political consultations