Erdogan says Turkey will not allow creation of terrorist corridor on its southern border
“The developments in northern Iraq are of interest not only for Kurds, but also Arabs, Turkomans and representatives of other nationalities. Let's not forget that Iraq is not a Kurdish, Arab or Turkoman state, and Kirkuk and Mosul are not homeland of Kurds,” Erdogan said.
The Turkish leader stressed that the referendum held by the Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government violated international law and the Iraqi Constitution.
“Unfortunately, the Kurdistan Regional Government held a so-called referendum despite all warnings from us and the international community,” Erdogan said noting that the referendum poses a threat to peace and stability in Iraq and throughout the region.
“The statement lately made by the Kurdish administration shows that they realized their mistake. We would like them to promptly take steps meeting our expectations,” added the Turkish president.
Erdogan reiterated Ankara’s readiness to cooperate with the Iraqi government to eliminate the PKK's [Kurdistan Workers’ Party] presence in Iraq.
“Those who mediate in the PKK terrorist organization’s, which is trying to disturb public order and peace in Kirkuk, finding refuge in this region, are responsible for this,” the president said. “Turkey welcomed the Iraqi government’s statement saying that the Iraqi army will return Kirkuk and will not turn a blind eye to PKK’s actions.”
He pledged that Turkey will support the Iraqi government in taking steps aimed at restoring sustainable peace and stability in the country.
Erdogan added that Turkey still hopes for a political solution to the Syrian conflict.
“By the Astana meeting and Geneva negotiations, we will continue strong support for the transitional political process aimed at Syria’s development,” he said.
The president noted that Turkey played a decisive role in reaching the agreement as guarantor of opposition in the discussion process on the issue of a de-conflict zone in Syria’s Idlib.
“At this time, we tried to consider the approach and views of various regional groups. We conducted an operation in the direction of Idlib in order to achieve the continuation of the ceasefire. With this operation, we expanded the security area that we created during the operation of the Euphrates Shield with a new step in ensuring Idlib's security. In this way, we demonstrated that we can take every action against those who threaten our security,” he added.
“Turkey will never allow the creation of a terrorist corridor on its southern border,” said Erdogan.
He pledged that Turkey will continue to do its utmost to find a political solution to the Syrian conflict.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing ambassador of Bulgaria
- 30.10.2017Erdogan: Relations with Azerbaijan at level of strategic alliance give Turkey special joy, pride
- 30.10.2017Georgian PM arrives in Azerbaijan
- 30.10.2017BTK – a new bridge connecting Europe, Asia: Georgian FM
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijan plays key role in preventing terrorist penetration into Syria – Erdogan
- 30.10.2017US provides over $26M to help Azerbaijan combat proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, says ambassador
- 30.10.2017US ambassador: BTK project is important part of New Silk Road