Erdogan says Turkey will not allow creation of terrorist corridor on its southern border
“The developments in northern Iraq are of interest not only for Kurds, but also Arabs, Turkomans and representatives of other nationalities. Let's not forget that Iraq is not a Kurdish, Arab or Turkoman state, and Kirkuk and Mosul are not homeland of Kurds,” Erdogan said.
The Turkish leader stressed that the referendum held by the Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government violated international law and the Iraqi Constitution.
“Unfortunately, the Kurdistan Regional Government held a so-called referendum despite all warnings from us and the international community,” Erdogan said noting that the referendum poses a threat to peace and stability in Iraq and throughout the region.
“The statement lately made by the Kurdish administration shows that they realized their mistake. We would like them to promptly take steps meeting our expectations,” added the Turkish president.
Erdogan reiterated Ankara’s readiness to cooperate with the Iraqi government to eliminate the PKK's [Kurdistan Workers’ Party] presence in Iraq.
“Those who mediate in the PKK terrorist organization’s, which is trying to disturb public order and peace in Kirkuk, finding refuge in this region, are responsible for this,” the president said. “Turkey welcomed the Iraqi government’s statement saying that the Iraqi army will return Kirkuk and will not turn a blind eye to PKK’s actions.”
He pledged that Turkey will support the Iraqi government in taking steps aimed at restoring sustainable peace and stability in the country.
Erdogan added that Turkey still hopes for a political solution to the Syrian conflict.
“By the Astana meeting and Geneva negotiations, we will continue strong support for the transitional political process aimed at Syria’s development,” he said.
The president noted that Turkey played a decisive role in reaching the agreement as guarantor of opposition in the discussion process on the issue of a de-conflict zone in Syria’s Idlib.
“At this time, we tried to consider the approach and views of various regional groups. We conducted an operation in the direction of Idlib in order to achieve the continuation of the ceasefire. With this operation, we expanded the security area that we created during the operation of the Euphrates Shield with a new step in ensuring Idlib's security. In this way, we demonstrated that we can take every action against those who threaten our security,” he added.
“Turkey will never allow the creation of a terrorist corridor on its southern border,” said Erdogan.
He pledged that Turkey will continue to do its utmost to find a political solution to the Syrian conflict.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijani President meets with UK Prime Minister
- 26.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with British MPs
- 26.04.2018Conference on future of Turkey-Russia relations kicks off in Antalya
- 26.04.2018PACE investigation body’s corruption report lacks ‘real facts’ – Azerbaijani MP
- 26.04.2018British minister: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election as president will ensure continuation of Azerbaijan’s rapid development
- 26.04.2018Head of Azerbaijani delegation slams corruption report by PACE Independent External Investigation Body
- 26.04.2018Allegations of corruption in PACE: Stefan Schennach objects to mention of his name in report
- 26.04.2018Angela Merkel congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.04.2018Romanian president congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Turkey
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey-Azerbaijan joint projects are of great economic and political significance
- 25.04.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan is increasing its military power also at expense of Turkish defense products
- 25.04.2018Turkey is one of world’s powers: Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood, friendship has great future
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey ink six documents
- 25.04.2018Erdogan says hopes he will make first foreign visit to Azerbaijan as president after June 24 elections
- 25.04.2018Ankara hosts Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Strategic Cooperation Council meeting
- 25.04.2018Israeli envoy visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 25.04.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Ilham Aliyev is important person for region and whole world
- 25.04.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents kicks off in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani president officially welcomed in Ankara
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Anitkabir in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: No countries in world are as close to each other as Azerbaijan and Turkey
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 30.10.2017Erdogan: Relations with Azerbaijan at level of strategic alliance give Turkey special joy, pride
- 30.10.2017Georgian PM arrives in Azerbaijan
- 30.10.2017BTK – a new bridge connecting Europe, Asia: Georgian FM
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijan plays key role in preventing terrorist penetration into Syria – Erdogan
- 30.10.2017US provides over $26M to help Azerbaijan combat proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, says ambassador
- 30.10.2017US ambassador: BTK project is important part of New Silk Road