‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday an Istanbul summit of the Organization of the Islamic Cooperation (OIC) had showed the world Jerusalem had not been "abandoned", APA reported citing Anadolu Agency.
"I believe with this historic summit, we showed the world, as well as decision-makers, that Jerusalem has not been abandoned," Erdogan told a news conference after a final summit communique was released.
Speaking to reporters in Istanbul following the extraordinary OIC summit, Erdogan reiterated Jerusalem was a “red line” for Muslims and U.S. President Donald Trump’s recent move had “no value”.
Ruling out U.S. mediation between Israel and Palestine, Erdogan said it was no longer possible for Americans to play a mediation role in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.
“This process is over,” he added.
During his speech, Erdogan called on the U.S. to revoke its “wrong decision” over Jerusalem.
“We expect the American authorities to revoke this wrong decision as soon as possible," he said, adding that Jerusalem's fate "cannot be handed to a country that thrives from blood and expanding its territories by killing children, civilians, women."
Last week, Trump announced his decision -- despite widespread opposition across the Middle East -- to formally recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
The announcement sparked strong condemnation from around the world, including Turkey, the EU and the UN.
During his election campaign last year, Trump repeatedly promised to relocate the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Romanian president congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Turkey
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey-Azerbaijan joint projects are of great economic and political significance
- 25.04.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan is increasing its military power also at expense of Turkish defense products
- 25.04.2018Turkey is one of world’s powers: Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood, friendship has great future
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey ink six documents
- 25.04.2018Erdogan says hopes he will make first foreign visit to Azerbaijan as president after June 24 elections
- 25.04.2018Ankara hosts Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Strategic Cooperation Council meeting
- 25.04.2018Israeli envoy visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 25.04.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Ilham Aliyev is important person for region and whole world
- 25.04.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents kicks off in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani president officially welcomed in Ankara
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Anitkabir in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: No countries in world are as close to each other as Azerbaijan and Turkey
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan