Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
The meeting is expected to start at 11:00 local time, APA reported.
Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office Andrzej Kasprzyk will also attend the meeting. During the meeting, the sides will discuss efforts to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the possibility of a meeting between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia.
The co-chairs met with Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian two days ago in Moscow. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is expected to visit Azerbaijan, then Armenia on November 19-20 to hold talks on the settlement of the conflict.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2011Protest action held in front of Azerbaijani consulate in Tabriz
- 08.02.2011Aydin Mirzazadeh: “Possibly the OSCE fact-finding mission can not prepare balanced report because they found the facts distinctly showing Armenia’s illegal actions”
- 08.02.2011Speaker of Lithuanian Seimas visits grave of Heydar Aliyev and Alley of Martyrs - PHOTO
- 08.02.2011Speaker of Lithuanian Seimas pays official visit to Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2011Azerbaijani President confers “Friendship” order to renowned scientist Lutfi Zadeh
- 07.02.2011Ogtay Asadov receives French-Azerbaijani working group