Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
The meeting is expected to start at 11:00 local time, APA reported.
Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office Andrzej Kasprzyk will also attend the meeting. During the meeting, the sides will discuss efforts to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the possibility of a meeting between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia.
The co-chairs met with Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian two days ago in Moscow. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is expected to visit Azerbaijan, then Armenia on November 19-20 to hold talks on the settlement of the conflict.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 15.05.2018Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 11.05.2018Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years
- 10.05.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet prior to Astana summit
- 10.05.2018Ali Hasanov comments on Helsinki Commission hearings on Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Russian diplomat: Convention on Caspian Sea’s legal status may be signed at Astana summit
- 09.05.2018Governor of U.S. State of Nevada honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 08.05.2018Putin sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.05.2018Content of joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee publicized
- 08.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting supports co-op
- 08.05.2018EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee adopts joint statement
- 08.05.2018Ambassador: European companies engaged in extracting gold in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018EU does not import any goods or services from Nagorno-Karabakh: EU official
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president