Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
The meeting is expected to start at 11:00 local time, APA reported.
Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office Andrzej Kasprzyk will also attend the meeting. During the meeting, the sides will discuss efforts to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the possibility of a meeting between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia.
The co-chairs met with Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian two days ago in Moscow. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is expected to visit Azerbaijan, then Armenia on November 19-20 to hold talks on the settlement of the conflict.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president