Azerbaijan says new deal with EU creates important framework for comprehensive development of ties
A new agreement expected to be signed between Azerbaijan and the European Union covers the political, economic, transport, energy, humanitarian and other areas, and creates an important framework for the comprehensive development of bilateral relations, said Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov.
Mammadyarov made the remarks at a meeting with Deputy Secretary General for Political Affairs - Political Director for the European External Action Service (EEAS) Jean-Christophe Belliard in Baku on Tuesday, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The sides discussed the development of cooperation between Azerbaijan and the EU, as well as exchanged views on the course of the negotiations on the draft agreement on strategic partnership.
They also emphasized the successful advancement of the negotiations on an open skies agreement between the EU and Azerbaijan.
Jean-Christophe Belliard praised the stability in Azerbaijan, economic reforms carried out in the country, as well as the activities of ASAN Service.
The sides also touched upon the recent visit of the delegation of the EU Committee for Political and Security, and ambassadors of EU member states accredited at the Committee, the reception of the delegation by the Azerbaijani president and extensive discussions held between them. They stressed that this visit will make an important contribution to the development of dialogue between Azerbaijan and the EU.
Mammadyarov also provided information on the negotiation process for the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
He underlined that for an early settlement of the conflict and change of the unacceptable status quo, Armenia must withdraw its troops with the occupied Azerbaijani territories in accordance with the UN Security Council resolutions.
Moreover, the sides exchanged views on topical issues on the international agenda, as well as on the upcoming Eastern Partnership Summit.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Formula 1 Group CEO
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitation to ODIHR for observation of presidential election
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM meets with delegation of Holy See
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Russian counterpart
- 10.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Iranian counterpart
- 10.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Holy See - UPDATED
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani Ambassador to Estonia met with Vice-Mayor of Tallinn
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan, EU agree to create mechanism for dialogue on security and energy issues
- 09.02.2018EU’s Mogherini reiterates importance of respect for fundamental freedoms, human rights
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan says 2017 proved to be productive for advancement of co-op with EU
- 10.10.2017Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 09.10.2017Date of Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan revealed
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has very positive reputation on international arena
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijani delegation head voices pessimism about future of PACE