Azerbaijan says new deal with EU creates important framework for comprehensive development of ties
A new agreement expected to be signed between Azerbaijan and the European Union covers the political, economic, transport, energy, humanitarian and other areas, and creates an important framework for the comprehensive development of bilateral relations, said Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov.
Mammadyarov made the remarks at a meeting with Deputy Secretary General for Political Affairs - Political Director for the European External Action Service (EEAS) Jean-Christophe Belliard in Baku on Tuesday, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The sides discussed the development of cooperation between Azerbaijan and the EU, as well as exchanged views on the course of the negotiations on the draft agreement on strategic partnership.
They also emphasized the successful advancement of the negotiations on an open skies agreement between the EU and Azerbaijan.
Jean-Christophe Belliard praised the stability in Azerbaijan, economic reforms carried out in the country, as well as the activities of ASAN Service.
The sides also touched upon the recent visit of the delegation of the EU Committee for Political and Security, and ambassadors of EU member states accredited at the Committee, the reception of the delegation by the Azerbaijani president and extensive discussions held between them. They stressed that this visit will make an important contribution to the development of dialogue between Azerbaijan and the EU.
Mammadyarov also provided information on the negotiation process for the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
He underlined that for an early settlement of the conflict and change of the unacceptable status quo, Armenia must withdraw its troops with the occupied Azerbaijani territories in accordance with the UN Security Council resolutions.
Moreover, the sides exchanged views on topical issues on the international agenda, as well as on the upcoming Eastern Partnership Summit.
Related news releases
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 05.12.2017Baku host reception on occasion of Japanese Emperor's birthday
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Finnish counterpart
- 05.12.2017Caspian states plan to hold joint drills – Lavrov
- 05.12.2017Moscow says 20-year work on Caspian Sea legal status ‘finalized’
- 05.12.2017Lavrov: Discussions on all open issues regarding Convention on Caspian Sea legal status yielded result
- 05.12.2017MP Slutsky proposes creating Russia-Azerbaijan-Iran parliamentary troika
- 05.12.2017Samad Seyidov: Azerbaijan ‘not in favor’ of EU integration
- 10.10.2017Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 09.10.2017Date of Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan revealed
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has very positive reputation on international arena
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijani delegation head voices pessimism about future of PACE