Electoral Body sets date of Kenya election
On October 17, Kenyans will re-elect their president after the primary result was canceled, announced by the chairman of Kenya's electoral commission.
Moreover, Wafula Chebukati confirmed that only the opposition leader Raila Odinga and the current president Uhuru Kenyatta would participate in Kenya Election.
Kenyatta was declared the frontrunner of August vote with 54%. Odinga, however, complained of significant irregularities. Therefore, the Supreme Court stated the first poll annulled. Such a decision was made for the first time in the history of Africa.
According to Chief Justice David Maraga, 8 August election was not conducted in harmony with the constitution. He added that numerous members of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission had committed illegalities and irregularities in the results transmission.
Therefore, the Supreme Court ordered to make the new election in the two-month period. In its turn, the opposition officially wanted to remove several IEBC officials to guarantee that the problems will never take place in the second ballot.
Raila Odinga immediately called the electoral commission “rotten” after the Supreme Court's verdict. He called all its members to leave their job and face the tribunal. He also called that decision “a historic day for the people of Kenyan and African people.”
Mr. Odinga has already disputed election results against Uhuru Kenyatta for the third time. Earlier, he did it in 2007 and 2013.
The public will undoubtedly watch to witness if Wafula Chebukati, the electoral commission's chairman, follows through with his guarantee to reorganize his team before the restart to recover public belief.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 07.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs - UPDATED
- 07.10.2017Agenda of GUAM foreign ministers’ Tbilisi meeting announced
- 07.10.2017Azerbaijani president phones Russian counterpart
- 06.10.2017Italy sees Azerbaijan as a friendly country – envoy
- 06.10.2017Erdogan soon to visit Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 06.10.2017Moscow hopes negotiations on Caspian status will end soon