Electoral Body sets date of Kenya election
On October 17, Kenyans will re-elect their president after the primary result was canceled, announced by the chairman of Kenya's electoral commission.
Moreover, Wafula Chebukati confirmed that only the opposition leader Raila Odinga and the current president Uhuru Kenyatta would participate in Kenya Election.
Kenyatta was declared the frontrunner of August vote with 54%. Odinga, however, complained of significant irregularities. Therefore, the Supreme Court stated the first poll annulled. Such a decision was made for the first time in the history of Africa.
According to Chief Justice David Maraga, 8 August election was not conducted in harmony with the constitution. He added that numerous members of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission had committed illegalities and irregularities in the results transmission.
Therefore, the Supreme Court ordered to make the new election in the two-month period. In its turn, the opposition officially wanted to remove several IEBC officials to guarantee that the problems will never take place in the second ballot.
Raila Odinga immediately called the electoral commission “rotten” after the Supreme Court's verdict. He called all its members to leave their job and face the tribunal. He also called that decision “a historic day for the people of Kenyan and African people.”
Mr. Odinga has already disputed election results against Uhuru Kenyatta for the third time. Earlier, he did it in 2007 and 2013.
The public will undoubtedly watch to witness if Wafula Chebukati, the electoral commission's chairman, follows through with his guarantee to reorganize his team before the restart to recover public belief.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 07.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs - UPDATED
- 07.10.2017Agenda of GUAM foreign ministers’ Tbilisi meeting announced
- 07.10.2017Azerbaijani president phones Russian counterpart
- 06.10.2017Italy sees Azerbaijan as a friendly country – envoy
- 06.10.2017Erdogan soon to visit Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 06.10.2017Moscow hopes negotiations on Caspian status will end soon