Electoral Body sets date of Kenya election
On October 17, Kenyans will re-elect their president after the primary result was canceled, announced by the chairman of Kenya's electoral commission.
Moreover, Wafula Chebukati confirmed that only the opposition leader Raila Odinga and the current president Uhuru Kenyatta would participate in Kenya Election.
Kenyatta was declared the frontrunner of August vote with 54%. Odinga, however, complained of significant irregularities. Therefore, the Supreme Court stated the first poll annulled. Such a decision was made for the first time in the history of Africa.
According to Chief Justice David Maraga, 8 August election was not conducted in harmony with the constitution. He added that numerous members of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission had committed illegalities and irregularities in the results transmission.
Therefore, the Supreme Court ordered to make the new election in the two-month period. In its turn, the opposition officially wanted to remove several IEBC officials to guarantee that the problems will never take place in the second ballot.
Raila Odinga immediately called the electoral commission “rotten” after the Supreme Court's verdict. He called all its members to leave their job and face the tribunal. He also called that decision “a historic day for the people of Kenyan and African people.”
Mr. Odinga has already disputed election results against Uhuru Kenyatta for the third time. Earlier, he did it in 2007 and 2013.
The public will undoubtedly watch to witness if Wafula Chebukati, the electoral commission's chairman, follows through with his guarantee to reorganize his team before the restart to recover public belief.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with delegation led by UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 07.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs - UPDATED
- 07.10.2017Agenda of GUAM foreign ministers’ Tbilisi meeting announced
- 07.10.2017Azerbaijani president phones Russian counterpart
- 06.10.2017Italy sees Azerbaijan as a friendly country – envoy
- 06.10.2017Erdogan soon to visit Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 06.10.2017Moscow hopes negotiations on Caspian status will end soon