‘Dunford-Gerasimov meeting in Baku indicates Azerbaijan’s growing influence’
The meeting in Baku of Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Chief of the General Staff of Russia's Armed Forces Valery Gerasimov indicates Azerbaijan’s growing influence, MP Rasim Musabeyov told APA on Thursday.
“Because they were more concerned by the processes going on in the Middle East, Iraq, Iran and Syria, the US and Russia had been looking for a suitable place to discuss what’s happening in these countries,” he said.
According to the MP, since Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia are not involved in these processes, the meeting was expected to take place in one of these three countries.
“However, Georgia was not an option for Russia because of a known reason and Armenia is an outpost of Russia. In that case, it wasn’t in US interests to hold the meeting in Armenia,” said Musabeyov, adding. “Finally, Azerbaijan is a secular country and a member of the Non-Aligned Movement. Azerbaijan pursues an independent policy. So, all eyes were set on us. Of course, the facts that Azerbaijan can organize the meeting at a high level and is preferable in terms of security and communication should be noted. Moreover, Azerbaijan has lately hosted major international sports and cultural events. Considering all this, Baku was a unique platform for the meeting between Joseph Dunford and Valery Gerasimov.”
Political analyst Gabil Huseynli made similar remarks, stressing that the holding of the meeting in Baku is strongly connected with the fact that Baku has hosted major international events in recent years.
He reminded that Baku has also hosted several forums of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations.
“There is an ongoing process called ‘Baku process.’ Baku has hosted numerous events on multicultural relations between civilizations,” he said.
Huseynli said he thinks the holding of the [Dunford-Gerasimov meeting] in Baku stands to a more important reason.
This meeting mostly focused on the discussion of countering global terrorism and the coordination of the two countries in counterterrorism, he stressed.
“Washington and Moscow sometimes call terrorism ‘Islamic terrorism’, however, they had to hold this event in the capital of a Muslim country that is involved in the fight against terrorism and has high level of security and stability. From this point of view, Azerbaijan is superior to other Muslim countries,” he said, noting that Azerbaijan was elected as a place for the meeting precisely because of these qualities and its dynamic role in international relations.
Given high-level relations between Azerbaijan and Russia, holding the meeting in Baku does not create any problems for Moscow, according to Huseynli.
“At the same time, this choice also meets the US interests as this country has been strategically cooperating with Azerbaijan in Afghanistan against Taliban for years. Nearly eighty percent of all weapons and goods the US are transported to Afghanistan through Azerbaijan,” he said.
The political analyst hailed the years-long participation of an Azerbaijani military contingent in anti-Taliban operations in Afghanistan.
From this point of view, he noted, Baku has not been chosen by chance for such a high-level meeting.
“Azerbaijan is a leading country in the region and pursues a flexible foreign policy. The capital of Azerbaijan is a place of safety for international events. Besides, in the future Azerbaijan can be chosen as a permanent place for discussions on the fight against terrorism. Though this is the first event, I think this is not the last. Such events can be continued either at the level of Joint Chiefs of Staff or higher ranking politicians,” he added.
He noted that this meeting will turn Azerbaijan a strategic part of the US which is significant for Azerbaijan itself and its international image.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 25.05.2018Japan’s Emperor Akihito congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.05.2018Jamestown Foundation dedicates article to centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2018Los Angeles celebrates 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 24.05.2018Consultations held in Astana concerning Caspian legal status
- 24.05.2018Chinese president: Azerbaijan’s int’l status and influence growing day after day
- 24.05.2018Putin: Azerbaijan enjoys great authority in int’l community
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani president pardons 634 people - UPDATED
- 24.05.2018Ambassador: French FM’s upcoming visit to Azerbaijan will be contribution to ADR centenary
- 24.05.2018Donald Trump sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Stefan Schennach: Samad Seyidov has to be replaced in PACE June session
- 23.05.2018Turkmen, Ukrainian leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijan, Palestine hold political consultations
- 16.02.2017Russian experts explain reasons behind holding of Gerasimov-Dunford in Baku
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijani President pays a working visit to Germany
- 16.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian justice minister - UPDATED
- 16.02.2017MP: Holding of Dunford-Gerasimov meeting in Baku indicates two big states’ trust in Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2017Baku meeting of top US, Russian military officers ‘important’ – NATO chief