Discussion on Azerbaijan held at annual conference of influential U.S.-based Jewish organization
A seminar on the theme “New Borders: Israel’s Strategy in the Caucasus and Central Asia,” dedicated to Azerbaijan-Israel partnership, was held on the sidelines of the annual policy conference of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), a leading U.S.-based Jewish organization.
About 250 public and political figures, academicians, representatives of business circles and diplomatic corps, including Azerbaijani Ambassador to the U.S. Elin Suleymanov, Executive Vice-Chairman of the National Coalition Supporting Eurasian Jewry (NCSEJ) Mark B. Levin, Professor of Georgetown University Brenda Shaffer, and Director of the Central Asia-Caucasus Institute & Silk Road Studies Program Joint Center Svante E. Cornell took part in the seminar, Azerbaijan’s Embassy in the U.S. told APA.
Addressing the seminar, Ambassador Elin Suleymanov noted that Azerbaijan is located on the most important strategic junction and is a place that unites different cultures.
The diplomat said that this year will mark the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijani Democratic Republic, the first democratic republic in the Muslim East, which shows that the Azerbaijani society is an example of the traditions of tolerance.
Suleymanov emphasized Azerbaijan’s support for peacekeeping operations in Afghanistan and the country’s growing role in the world’s energy map. He noted that Azerbaijan’s role as an initiator of large-scale transport projects in the center of the Silk Road has a positive impact on the development of economic relations with the US.
The relations between Azerbaijan and Israel are based on friendship and cooperation, said the diplomat, highlighting Azerbaijan’s leading and important role in establishing relations between Israel and the Muslim world.
It was also noted at the seminar that Muslims, Jews and members of other religious communities live in Azerbaijan in a friendly atmosphere, and that the National Hero of Azerbaijan, Jewish man Albert Agarunov, who died fighting for the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan, is an example of a true patriot.
Mark Levin, Brenda Shaffer and Svante Cornell said in their speeches that Azerbaijan’s experience in combating extremism and radicalism can be useful for other states. They mentioned that although 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory is under occupation and more than one million Azerbaijanis became internally displaced, the country’s policy is far from radicalism.
It was underlined that the Houston-Baku Sister City Association’s financial assistance for the restoration of the largest religious temple of the Jewish community, Bet Yeshurun synagogue, which was damaged as a result of Hurricane Harvey last year, is another testimony to the sustainable development of bilateral relations.
The policy conference of AIPAC, which is held annually in Washington, is the largest political event of the Jewish community. About 20,000 attendants, including representatives of the US Administration and Congress, other high-ranking officials, as well as statesmen from Israel and other states attend the event. U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama and foreign ministers of the Baltic States are expected to deliver speeches at the conference.
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Pakistani counterpart
- 22.03.2018PACE co-rapporteurs to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 05.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan actively fighting wide-spread Islamophobia across the world
- 05.03.2018Morocco and Azerbaijan faced aggression, says minister
- 05.03.2018FM: Countries supporting Azerbaijan in OIC tend to abstain in other organizations
- 05.03.2018Indian external affairs minister express condolences over deadly fire at Baku rehab center
- 03.03.2018Azerbaijanis in Russia join campaign to support Putin’s candidacy for presidency
- 03.03.2018OSCE ODIHR to observe presidential elections in Azerbaijan