Conflicts in Syria and Karabakh reveal int’l community’s inability to address challenges – Israeli expert
The ongoing conflicts in Syria and Nagorno-Karabakh reveal the inability of the international community to address challenges, Prof. Eyal Zisser, the Vice Rector of Tel Aviv University, who is paying a visit to Azerbaijan, told reporters on Tuesday, APA reported.
“The Syrian conflict is more tragic and complicated. To resolve the Syrian conflict, we need to know what international actors seek to achieve. This also applies to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” he said.
The Syrian conflict, according to the expert, has already developed from a regional conflict to an international one.
The expert based his opinion on the fact that the Syrian war is being fought by not only Syrians but also volunteers from all over the world.
“The Syrian conflict is manifesting itself through the radicalization of society. It had not been like this before,” said Zisser, adding. “The war resulted from some natural cataclysms. First, a group of farmers held a protest due to years of drought. Then, these protests eventually turned into anti-government protests, causing people to become radicalized. Of course, foreign powers did play a part in it. So the Syria issue is the key to ensuring regional stability.”
As for the possible impact of the Syrian conflict on Azerbaijan, Zisser noted that the Azerbaijanis fighting in Syria can return to their country with ideology of radicalization and combat tactics.
He said every world power pursues its own interests in the resolution of the Syrian conflict.
According to him, Russia's main goal is to protect the legitimacy of Bashar al-Assad's government.
“Russia is not fighting against the ISIL. For example, Obama didn’t send troops to Syria. Russia sent a small number of troops and managed to protect Bashar al-Assad. This country is interested in what is happening in Damascus. Turkey was forced to launch negotiations with Russia in order to prevent the Kurdish State along the Turkish-Syrian border,” added the expert.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Algerian justice minister
- 23.06.2018Afghan deputy FM says relations with Azerbaijan at highest level
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 07.03.2017Kazakh president to visit Azerbaijan next month
- 07.03.2017Washington – a difficult partner for discussion: Azerbaijani FM
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan sees fight against terrorism as a ‘priority’ in co-op with EU, US and Russia
- 06.03.2017UK says will remain committed to Iran nuclear deal
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Many key issues related to Caspian Sea’s status agreed upon
- 06.03.2017UK says no major changes expected in relations with South Caucasus countries after Brexit