China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
A panel entitled “China’s Role in International Relations: Challenging Old Rules?” was held on March 17 as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by Asistant Professor of Harvard Business School Gautam Mukunda, the panel was attended by former President of Serbia Boris Tadic, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi, former Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Apas Jumagulov, former Prime Minister of Hungary Peter Medgyessy and executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan.
Former Serbian president Boris Tadic said that China mainly focuses on globalization of economy.
“Undoubtedly, China is a great power. If earlier China stepped aside, now it returns to the international arena in a different way. China will no longer be a passive player. Will China try to change the global system?! I do not think that China will do it, because it is a conservative country,” he added.
Former Pakistani PM Aziz noted that China favor peace in a period when conflicts are on the rise.
“A multi-vector world is beneficial for the whole world and all nations. As long as China’s power increases, its defensive power will also increase. In fact, this should not cause concern. The latest military parade gives grounds to say that China is very likely to enter the arena as a global partner”, he noted.
Former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi noted that China creates a number of problems and difficulties for Europe.
“They are systematically developing their own industries, but there is nothing new. The Chinese government is trying to increase the effectiveness of its institutions as much as possible. It is impossible to predict what will happen in the next stage,” he said.
Former Kyrgyz PM Apas Jumagulov said that China has never tried to take advantage of the difficult situations Kyrgyzstan faced. China has great opportunities. They managed to develop. China shows kind attitude towards us and Central Asian countries. We have witnessed it in 25 years of independence,” he added.
Former Hungarian PM Peter Medgyessy said that if China's banking sector faces serious difficulties, it can lead to disaster in the world.
“China should take the responsibility in this field as well and should remove bad assets from banks. The world is interested in strengthening of China. China must be one of active players in the world economy and finance,” he said.
Executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan said that the annual revenue of 80 million population of China is $800, noting the need for effective fight against poverty in this country.
“We witness the changes in China every day. We are pursuing an open-door policy. As Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev mentioned, we want to have practical cooperation. We are also working to remove customs and trade barriers. I hope Donald Trump will agree with it,” he added.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations