China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
A panel entitled “China’s Role in International Relations: Challenging Old Rules?” was held on March 17 as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by Asistant Professor of Harvard Business School Gautam Mukunda, the panel was attended by former President of Serbia Boris Tadic, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi, former Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Apas Jumagulov, former Prime Minister of Hungary Peter Medgyessy and executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan.
Former Serbian president Boris Tadic said that China mainly focuses on globalization of economy.
“Undoubtedly, China is a great power. If earlier China stepped aside, now it returns to the international arena in a different way. China will no longer be a passive player. Will China try to change the global system?! I do not think that China will do it, because it is a conservative country,” he added.
Former Pakistani PM Aziz noted that China favor peace in a period when conflicts are on the rise.
“A multi-vector world is beneficial for the whole world and all nations. As long as China’s power increases, its defensive power will also increase. In fact, this should not cause concern. The latest military parade gives grounds to say that China is very likely to enter the arena as a global partner”, he noted.
Former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi noted that China creates a number of problems and difficulties for Europe.
“They are systematically developing their own industries, but there is nothing new. The Chinese government is trying to increase the effectiveness of its institutions as much as possible. It is impossible to predict what will happen in the next stage,” he said.
Former Kyrgyz PM Apas Jumagulov said that China has never tried to take advantage of the difficult situations Kyrgyzstan faced. China has great opportunities. They managed to develop. China shows kind attitude towards us and Central Asian countries. We have witnessed it in 25 years of independence,” he added.
Former Hungarian PM Peter Medgyessy said that if China's banking sector faces serious difficulties, it can lead to disaster in the world.
“China should take the responsibility in this field as well and should remove bad assets from banks. The world is interested in strengthening of China. China must be one of active players in the world economy and finance,” he said.
Executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan said that the annual revenue of 80 million population of China is $800, noting the need for effective fight against poverty in this country.
“We witness the changes in China every day. We are pursuing an open-door policy. As Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev mentioned, we want to have practical cooperation. We are also working to remove customs and trade barriers. I hope Donald Trump will agree with it,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister attends GUAM-Japan ministerial meeting
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs to go sightseeing in Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani deputy education minister blames Armenian MP for making false remarks at Baku conference
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to display ‘decisive stance’ against Armenia
- 22.09.2017GUAM countries interested in development of mutually beneficial co-op with US
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says energy co-op with EU has reached level of strategic partnership
- 22.09.2017NATO Secretary General's Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Turkic Council foreign ministers meet in New York
- 21.09.2017Work underway to bring home Azerbaijani children found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan preparing for Eastern Partnership summit: deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan says ‘no serious progress’ in talks with WTO
- 21.09.2017EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on trade to hold meeting in Brussels
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations