China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
A panel entitled “China’s Role in International Relations: Challenging Old Rules?” was held on March 17 as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by Asistant Professor of Harvard Business School Gautam Mukunda, the panel was attended by former President of Serbia Boris Tadic, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi, former Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Apas Jumagulov, former Prime Minister of Hungary Peter Medgyessy and executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan.
Former Serbian president Boris Tadic said that China mainly focuses on globalization of economy.
“Undoubtedly, China is a great power. If earlier China stepped aside, now it returns to the international arena in a different way. China will no longer be a passive player. Will China try to change the global system?! I do not think that China will do it, because it is a conservative country,” he added.
Former Pakistani PM Aziz noted that China favor peace in a period when conflicts are on the rise.
“A multi-vector world is beneficial for the whole world and all nations. As long as China’s power increases, its defensive power will also increase. In fact, this should not cause concern. The latest military parade gives grounds to say that China is very likely to enter the arena as a global partner”, he noted.
Former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi noted that China creates a number of problems and difficulties for Europe.
“They are systematically developing their own industries, but there is nothing new. The Chinese government is trying to increase the effectiveness of its institutions as much as possible. It is impossible to predict what will happen in the next stage,” he said.
Former Kyrgyz PM Apas Jumagulov said that China has never tried to take advantage of the difficult situations Kyrgyzstan faced. China has great opportunities. They managed to develop. China shows kind attitude towards us and Central Asian countries. We have witnessed it in 25 years of independence,” he added.
Former Hungarian PM Peter Medgyessy said that if China's banking sector faces serious difficulties, it can lead to disaster in the world.
“China should take the responsibility in this field as well and should remove bad assets from banks. The world is interested in strengthening of China. China must be one of active players in the world economy and finance,” he said.
Executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan said that the annual revenue of 80 million population of China is $800, noting the need for effective fight against poverty in this country.
“We witness the changes in China every day. We are pursuing an open-door policy. As Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev mentioned, we want to have practical cooperation. We are also working to remove customs and trade barriers. I hope Donald Trump will agree with it,” he added.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing ambassador of Bulgaria
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations