China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
A panel entitled “China’s Role in International Relations: Challenging Old Rules?” was held on March 17 as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by Asistant Professor of Harvard Business School Gautam Mukunda, the panel was attended by former President of Serbia Boris Tadic, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi, former Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Apas Jumagulov, former Prime Minister of Hungary Peter Medgyessy and executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan.
Former Serbian president Boris Tadic said that China mainly focuses on globalization of economy.
“Undoubtedly, China is a great power. If earlier China stepped aside, now it returns to the international arena in a different way. China will no longer be a passive player. Will China try to change the global system?! I do not think that China will do it, because it is a conservative country,” he added.
Former Pakistani PM Aziz noted that China favor peace in a period when conflicts are on the rise.
“A multi-vector world is beneficial for the whole world and all nations. As long as China’s power increases, its defensive power will also increase. In fact, this should not cause concern. The latest military parade gives grounds to say that China is very likely to enter the arena as a global partner”, he noted.
Former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi noted that China creates a number of problems and difficulties for Europe.
“They are systematically developing their own industries, but there is nothing new. The Chinese government is trying to increase the effectiveness of its institutions as much as possible. It is impossible to predict what will happen in the next stage,” he said.
Former Kyrgyz PM Apas Jumagulov said that China has never tried to take advantage of the difficult situations Kyrgyzstan faced. China has great opportunities. They managed to develop. China shows kind attitude towards us and Central Asian countries. We have witnessed it in 25 years of independence,” he added.
Former Hungarian PM Peter Medgyessy said that if China's banking sector faces serious difficulties, it can lead to disaster in the world.
“China should take the responsibility in this field as well and should remove bad assets from banks. The world is interested in strengthening of China. China must be one of active players in the world economy and finance,” he said.
Executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan said that the annual revenue of 80 million population of China is $800, noting the need for effective fight against poverty in this country.
“We witness the changes in China every day. We are pursuing an open-door policy. As Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev mentioned, we want to have practical cooperation. We are also working to remove customs and trade barriers. I hope Donald Trump will agree with it,” he added.
Related news releases
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani, Hungarian FMs meet
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijani, Russian presidents discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.07.2017Meeting of Presidents of Russia and Azerbaijan held in Sochi
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Russia for working visit
- 21.07.2017Egyptian embassy organizes official reception in Baku
- 21.07.2017Communiqué on closure of Al-Aqsa Mosque adopted at Baku conference
- 21.07.2017Ambassador: Protraction of Jerusalem problem indicates existence of double standards in int’l policy
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Hungarian ambassador
- 21.07.2017MFA: No Azerbaijani citizens injured in earthquake in Turkey, Greece
- 21.07.2017Russian, Azerbaijani presidents to meet in Sochi – Kremlin
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijan allocates $5M for development of infrastructure in East al-Quds
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey
- 19.07.2017Ashgabat to host fifth trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs
- 19.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM - UPDATED
- 19.07.2017Ambassador: Czech Republic interested in co-op with Azerbaijan within Eastern Partnership
- 19.07.2017Visegrad Four supports soonest signing of Azerbaijan-EU deal on strategic partnership
- 19.07.2017Czech Senate delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Eastern Partnership countries’ FMs to meet in September
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary in October
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen FMs mull co-op prospects
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Baku
- 18.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan interested in expanding ties with Turkmenistan in all areas - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Austrian delegation - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit
- 17.07.2017Final document on Caspian Sea’s status nearly 80% agreed - Azerbaijani FM
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-EU relations developing successfully
- 17.07.2017President Vejonis: Latvia will continue to support Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations