China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
A panel entitled “China’s Role in International Relations: Challenging Old Rules?” was held on March 17 as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by Asistant Professor of Harvard Business School Gautam Mukunda, the panel was attended by former President of Serbia Boris Tadic, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi, former Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Apas Jumagulov, former Prime Minister of Hungary Peter Medgyessy and executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan.
Former Serbian president Boris Tadic said that China mainly focuses on globalization of economy.
“Undoubtedly, China is a great power. If earlier China stepped aside, now it returns to the international arena in a different way. China will no longer be a passive player. Will China try to change the global system?! I do not think that China will do it, because it is a conservative country,” he added.
Former Pakistani PM Aziz noted that China favor peace in a period when conflicts are on the rise.
“A multi-vector world is beneficial for the whole world and all nations. As long as China’s power increases, its defensive power will also increase. In fact, this should not cause concern. The latest military parade gives grounds to say that China is very likely to enter the arena as a global partner”, he noted.
Former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi noted that China creates a number of problems and difficulties for Europe.
“They are systematically developing their own industries, but there is nothing new. The Chinese government is trying to increase the effectiveness of its institutions as much as possible. It is impossible to predict what will happen in the next stage,” he said.
Former Kyrgyz PM Apas Jumagulov said that China has never tried to take advantage of the difficult situations Kyrgyzstan faced. China has great opportunities. They managed to develop. China shows kind attitude towards us and Central Asian countries. We have witnessed it in 25 years of independence,” he added.
Former Hungarian PM Peter Medgyessy said that if China's banking sector faces serious difficulties, it can lead to disaster in the world.
“China should take the responsibility in this field as well and should remove bad assets from banks. The world is interested in strengthening of China. China must be one of active players in the world economy and finance,” he said.
Executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan said that the annual revenue of 80 million population of China is $800, noting the need for effective fight against poverty in this country.
“We witness the changes in China every day. We are pursuing an open-door policy. As Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev mentioned, we want to have practical cooperation. We are also working to remove customs and trade barriers. I hope Donald Trump will agree with it,” he added.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations