China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
A panel entitled “China’s Role in International Relations: Challenging Old Rules?” was held on March 17 as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by Asistant Professor of Harvard Business School Gautam Mukunda, the panel was attended by former President of Serbia Boris Tadic, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi, former Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Apas Jumagulov, former Prime Minister of Hungary Peter Medgyessy and executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan.
Former Serbian president Boris Tadic said that China mainly focuses on globalization of economy.
“Undoubtedly, China is a great power. If earlier China stepped aside, now it returns to the international arena in a different way. China will no longer be a passive player. Will China try to change the global system?! I do not think that China will do it, because it is a conservative country,” he added.
Former Pakistani PM Aziz noted that China favor peace in a period when conflicts are on the rise.
“A multi-vector world is beneficial for the whole world and all nations. As long as China’s power increases, its defensive power will also increase. In fact, this should not cause concern. The latest military parade gives grounds to say that China is very likely to enter the arena as a global partner”, he noted.
Former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi noted that China creates a number of problems and difficulties for Europe.
“They are systematically developing their own industries, but there is nothing new. The Chinese government is trying to increase the effectiveness of its institutions as much as possible. It is impossible to predict what will happen in the next stage,” he said.
Former Kyrgyz PM Apas Jumagulov said that China has never tried to take advantage of the difficult situations Kyrgyzstan faced. China has great opportunities. They managed to develop. China shows kind attitude towards us and Central Asian countries. We have witnessed it in 25 years of independence,” he added.
Former Hungarian PM Peter Medgyessy said that if China's banking sector faces serious difficulties, it can lead to disaster in the world.
“China should take the responsibility in this field as well and should remove bad assets from banks. The world is interested in strengthening of China. China must be one of active players in the world economy and finance,” he said.
Executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan said that the annual revenue of 80 million population of China is $800, noting the need for effective fight against poverty in this country.
“We witness the changes in China every day. We are pursuing an open-door policy. As Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev mentioned, we want to have practical cooperation. We are also working to remove customs and trade barriers. I hope Donald Trump will agree with it,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations