China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
A panel entitled “China’s Role in International Relations: Challenging Old Rules?” was held on March 17 as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by Asistant Professor of Harvard Business School Gautam Mukunda, the panel was attended by former President of Serbia Boris Tadic, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi, former Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Apas Jumagulov, former Prime Minister of Hungary Peter Medgyessy and executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan.
Former Serbian president Boris Tadic said that China mainly focuses on globalization of economy.
“Undoubtedly, China is a great power. If earlier China stepped aside, now it returns to the international arena in a different way. China will no longer be a passive player. Will China try to change the global system?! I do not think that China will do it, because it is a conservative country,” he added.
Former Pakistani PM Aziz noted that China favor peace in a period when conflicts are on the rise.
“A multi-vector world is beneficial for the whole world and all nations. As long as China’s power increases, its defensive power will also increase. In fact, this should not cause concern. The latest military parade gives grounds to say that China is very likely to enter the arena as a global partner”, he noted.
Former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi noted that China creates a number of problems and difficulties for Europe.
“They are systematically developing their own industries, but there is nothing new. The Chinese government is trying to increase the effectiveness of its institutions as much as possible. It is impossible to predict what will happen in the next stage,” he said.
Former Kyrgyz PM Apas Jumagulov said that China has never tried to take advantage of the difficult situations Kyrgyzstan faced. China has great opportunities. They managed to develop. China shows kind attitude towards us and Central Asian countries. We have witnessed it in 25 years of independence,” he added.
Former Hungarian PM Peter Medgyessy said that if China's banking sector faces serious difficulties, it can lead to disaster in the world.
“China should take the responsibility in this field as well and should remove bad assets from banks. The world is interested in strengthening of China. China must be one of active players in the world economy and finance,” he said.
Executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan said that the annual revenue of 80 million population of China is $800, noting the need for effective fight against poverty in this country.
“We witness the changes in China every day. We are pursuing an open-door policy. As Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev mentioned, we want to have practical cooperation. We are also working to remove customs and trade barriers. I hope Donald Trump will agree with it,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2017Moroccan FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2017Delegation of Azerbaijani parliament to attend PACE spring session
- 22.04.2017Azerbaijani president receives former Austrian president
- 21.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FIDE president - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017Ukrainian police take control of hijacking of Azerbaijani trucks – embassy
- 20.04.2017Top official: Azerbaijan has become leader in South Caucasus
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia hold consultations on state border delimitation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets status of guest at OECD Development Assistance Committee
- 19.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement – important step to develop bilateral cooperation - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Bulgarian president Plevneliev
- 18.04.2017EU has implemented 70 civil society projects in Azerbaijan since 2007
- 18.04.2017Malta supports signing of EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership agreement – PM
- 18.04.2017Meeting of Minsk Group countries’ parliamentarians in OSCE PA expected in coming months
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Malta and Italy - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Baku hosts 4th meeting of joint commission on Azerbaijan-Russia border demarcation
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev phoned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan interested in developing military co-op with Iran – defense minister
- 16.04.2017Iranian defense minister: Hope Azerbaijan and Armenia won’t permit third parties to interfere in conflict
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan and Iran discussed expansion of military cooperation
- 14.04.2017New chair of European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan, Djibouti set up interparliamentary working group
- 14.04.2017Moscow says draft convention on Caspian Sea’s status almost ready for signing
- 14.04.2017MFA: Visa-free regime – one of topics of discussion between Azerbaijan, EU
- 13.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kyiv Mayor Klitschko - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan, Ukraine to sign several documents soon
- 13.04.2017Klitschko: Kyiv-Baku cooperation potential not fully realized
- 13.04.2017Visegrad Group welcomes Azerbaijan’s intention to continue visa liberalization dialogue with EU
- 13.04.2017Fourth meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia joint commission on demarcation kicks off in Baku
- 12.04.2017FM: New Azerbaijan-EU agreement reflects support for and respect to territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Lapshin has no complaints about detention conditions: Russian MFA
- 12.04.2017Baku to host meeting of EU-Azerbaijan cooperation committee
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, EU to hold next talks on new agreement on April 25
- 12.04.2017EU's Salber to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to take unified approach to issue of countries’ territorial integrity - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents to meet in June
- 11.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Turkish president Abdullah Gul
- 11.04.2017Bangladesh-Azerbaijan ties rooted in history, common faith, says president
- 11.04.2017Korea’s acting president hails his country’s relations with Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations