China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
A panel entitled “China’s Role in International Relations: Challenging Old Rules?” was held on March 17 as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by Asistant Professor of Harvard Business School Gautam Mukunda, the panel was attended by former President of Serbia Boris Tadic, former Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi, former Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Apas Jumagulov, former Prime Minister of Hungary Peter Medgyessy and executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan.
Former Serbian president Boris Tadic said that China mainly focuses on globalization of economy.
“Undoubtedly, China is a great power. If earlier China stepped aside, now it returns to the international arena in a different way. China will no longer be a passive player. Will China try to change the global system?! I do not think that China will do it, because it is a conservative country,” he added.
Former Pakistani PM Aziz noted that China favor peace in a period when conflicts are on the rise.
“A multi-vector world is beneficial for the whole world and all nations. As long as China’s power increases, its defensive power will also increase. In fact, this should not cause concern. The latest military parade gives grounds to say that China is very likely to enter the arena as a global partner”, he noted.
Former diplomatic adviser to the Italian President Antonio Zanardi Landi noted that China creates a number of problems and difficulties for Europe.
“They are systematically developing their own industries, but there is nothing new. The Chinese government is trying to increase the effectiveness of its institutions as much as possible. It is impossible to predict what will happen in the next stage,” he said.
Former Kyrgyz PM Apas Jumagulov said that China has never tried to take advantage of the difficult situations Kyrgyzstan faced. China has great opportunities. They managed to develop. China shows kind attitude towards us and Central Asian countries. We have witnessed it in 25 years of independence,” he added.
Former Hungarian PM Peter Medgyessy said that if China's banking sector faces serious difficulties, it can lead to disaster in the world.
“China should take the responsibility in this field as well and should remove bad assets from banks. The world is interested in strengthening of China. China must be one of active players in the world economy and finance,” he said.
Executive dean of Schwarzman College of Tsingua University David Qingzhong Pan said that the annual revenue of 80 million population of China is $800, noting the need for effective fight against poverty in this country.
“We witness the changes in China every day. We are pursuing an open-door policy. As Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev mentioned, we want to have practical cooperation. We are also working to remove customs and trade barriers. I hope Donald Trump will agree with it,” he added.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Emperor of Japan sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani President
- 27.05.2017Azerbaijani president sends letter of condolence to Egyptian counterpart
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan condemns terror attack in Egypt
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan highly appreciates Trump’s speech at Arab Islamic American Summit
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's strong armies
- 26.05.2017Trump: Azerbaijan is valued partner of US
- 26.05.2017Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan is most interested party in earliest resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 26.05.2017West Hollywood proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Switzerland
- 25.05.2017Putin: Azerbaijan plays important role in resolving pressing issues on int’l agenda
- 25.05.2017Russia says it has open dialogue with Azerbaijan
- 25.05.2017Document on illegal activities in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands circulated at UN
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with UN Secretary General
- 25.05.2017Republic Day of Azerbaijan celebrated in Los Angeles
- 24.05.2017Lukashenko: Azerbaijan’s high achievements are an example for many states
- 24.05.2017Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Erdogan: Turkey highly appreciates Azerbaijan’s achievements in all areas
- 24.05.2017Pope Francis congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Volume of US financial aid to Azerbaijan revealed
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary
- 24.05.2017Armenian representative’s objection causes discontent in Euronest PA
- 24.05.2017UK envoy: Terrorism will never win
- 24.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to visit Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for New York
- 23.05.2017Kings of Sweden, Norway and Netherlands send congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Frank-Walter Steinmeier sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s policy aimed at putting an end to conflicts between Muslim countries
- 23.05.2017MFA comments on anti-Azerbaijani article published in Russian state news agency
- 23.05.2017UK embassy in Azerbaijan to open book of condolences
- 23.05.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to change region’s fate - Turkish PM
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Theresa May
- 23.05.2017No Azerbaijanis among victims of Manchester explosion
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among Manchester blast victims
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives UAE delegation - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani FM briefs European Parliament delegation on settlement process of Karabakh conflict
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit ends with adoption of Istanbul Declaration
- 22.05.2017Erdogan: Some were suspicious that BSEC could continue to exist long
- 22.05.2017MP: Azerbaijan supports organizing peace platform between Armenia, Azerbaijan at European Parliament
- 22.05.2017Romanian investors seeking to expand relations with Azerbaijan, says envoy
- 22.05.2017European Parliament committee chair says Azerbaijan is a valuable partner for Europe
- 05.05.2017Food security impossible without peace, says FAO director general
- 05.05.2017UN: Extremists inflict damage on society through various means
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani president meets UNESCO director general
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 05.05.2017UNESCO chief calls for strengthening of dialogue and peace
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani president stresses need to eliminate underlying causes of radicalism