Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic solemnly marked in Washington, DC
The Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium, one of the most important and historic buildings in the U.S. capital, hosted a solemn reception marking the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic and the Day of the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan.
U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke, U.S. Presidential Advisor, White House official Fiona Hill, Assistant Secretary of State for Educational and Cultural Affairs Marie Royce, Deputy Assistant Secretary in the State Department's Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs Bridget A. Brink, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Arabian Gulf Affairs in the Near East Bureau at the Department of State Tim Lenderking, Deputy Assistant Secretary in the State Department's Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs Daniel Rosenblum, U.S. Co-Chair of the OSCE Minsk Group Andrew Schofer, Vice Chief of the U.S. National Guard Bureau, Army Lt. Gen. Daniel Hokanson, and congressmen Bill Shuster, Henry Cuellar, Mark Meadows and Secretary of the District of Columbia Lauren C. Vaughan attended the event, the Azerbaijani Embassy in the U.S. told APA.
The event brought together about 1,000 guests, including representatives of the U.S. government agencies, the White House, the Department of State, the Department of Defense, congressmen, representatives of several U.S. states, ambassador, military attachés and diplomatic corps of some foreign countries, members of think tanks, as well as representatives of the Azerbaijani, Turkish and Jewish communities.
At the beginning of the event, the U.S. Air Force Band performed the national anthems of Azerbaijan and the United States.
Addressing the opening of the reception, Azerbaijani Ambassador to the U.S. Elin Suleymanov said that the event was dedicated to the centenary of ADR and the anniversary of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces.
He recalled that the first democratic parliamentary republic in the Muslim East was founded in Azerbaijan a hundred years ago, where the tradition of tolerance developed, rights of all citizens were ensured irrespective of their religion, ethnic origin and gender.
The envoy noted that ADR granted women the right to vote before many leading Western countries.
A hundred years later Azerbaijan again takes the leading position in the world, said Suleymanov, hailing the implementation of the Azerbaijan-initiated regional projects, including the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan, the Southern Gas Corridor, the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars, the Baku International Trade Port, the Baku International Terminal.
He emphasized that Azerbaijan has also entered a number of states that have the opportunity to launch their satellites into space.
The ambassador also touched upon the partnership between Azerbaijan and the United States.
He praised the Azerbaijan-U.S. cooperation that is based on mutual respect and interests and covers many areas, including energy security, counterterrorism, defense and security.
Suleymanov also expressed gratitude to the U.S. for support to large-scale energy projects.
The diplomat expressed hope that Azerbaijan’s occupied territories will soon be liberated, displaced people will return to their native lands and peace will be established between Armenia and Azerbaijan.
Suleymanov stressed that participation in the reception of numerous guests, including representatives of the US administration, is an indicator of the importance of Azerbaijan.
Senior officials of the US administration, generals, as well as congressmen expressed their views on Azerbaijan-U.S. partnership.
U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke delivered his sincere congratulations on the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
Calling Azerbaijan an ally, friend of the U.S., Zinke said that Azerbaijan is of great importance for both the region and the world.
Special Assistant to the U.S. President Fiona Hill read out a message sent from President Donald Trump to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the centenary of ADR.
She said U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Bridget Brink was very pleased with her recent visit to Azerbaijan and said Azerbaijan was pursuing an independent policy in the complex region. The US official pointed out that the U.S. supports the successful completion and expansion of the Southern Gas Corridor, drawing attention to the fact that this project will integrate the Caspian region into the world economy.
Later, the Vice Chief of the National Guard Bureau, General Daniel Hokanson, commented on the history of the Pentagon's cooperation with Azerbaijan and emphasized that Washington attaches great importance to partnership with Baku.
Chairman of the Working Group for Azerbaijan at the Congress Bill Shuster and Congressman Henry Cueller congratulated Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’s centenary, pointing out that Baku is an important partner for the United States. They also stressed the importance of the Southern Gas Corridor.
Lauren Vaughan, Secretary of the District of Columbia, read out the resolution issued by Mayor Muriel Bowser, on proclamation of May 28th as the National Day of Azerbaijan in the U.S. capital.
Then, Brigadier General Louis Wilham representing the Oklahoma National Guard read out the statement by Governor Mary Fallin on declaring May 28 as the National Day of Azerbaijan in Oklahoma.
During the event, the Heydar Aliyev Foundation screened a film dedicated to the 100th anniversary of ADR, samples of Azerbaijani music and dances were performed by Silk Road Dance Company and Rhythm Dance Group.
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 07.06.2018Queen Elizabeth's birthday celebrated in Baku
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Turkey on June 12
- 07.06.2018U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan hosts iftar dinner for Masalli women entrepreneurs
- 05.06.2018Aktau to host summit of Caspian states: Kazakh president
- 06.06.2018Moscow: Serious preparation underway to sign convention on Caspian legal status at upcoming summit
- 06.06.2018EU must engage with Azerbaijan or Putin will
- 07.06.2018Santa Monica proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 06.06.2018PACE to elect new president at summer session
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Bulgarian envoy
- 05.06.2018Ambassador: Azerbaijan, UK enjoy constructive relations at all levels - INTERVIEW