Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
Candidate for the post of the UNESCO Director General, Ambassador of Azerbaijan to Russia Polad Bulbul-ogly left the election race, Polad Bulbul-oglu distributed the statement for the press in connection with the decision, APA's Moscow correspondent reports.
. The statement reads:
"I am proud that I was nominated by my country as a candidate for the post of Director-General of UNESCO and I am grateful to the government and personally to the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev for the high trust and support rendered to me. In the time that remained until the election, we conducted an intensive pre-election campaign, unprecedented in terms of tightness. I am grateful to all those who helped me in this difficult work.
Many visits were made to the member countries of the UNESCO Executive Committee, dozens of meetings, speeches and presentations were held, articles were published in international publications that covered the positions of the candidate of the Republic of Azerbaijan on the agenda of UNESCO and on matters of vital importance for the future activities of the Organization that were met with great attention and support.
It was support, expressed during the election campaign by many members of the UNESCO Executive Committee, that gave us reason to expect success.
However, in the course of the highly competitive struggle for the 30 votes necessary for the victory, in which, in addition to Azerbaijan, there were such big states as China, France, Egypt, only 8 states, including 2 permanent members of the UN Security Council, we unfortunately did not succeed election campaign and get the right number of votes.
Therefore, I regretfully decided to withdraw from the election race, but I do it with a sense of duty, as I did everything possible and necessary, depending on me.
UNESCO, being the main humanitarian organization of the whole world, plays an important role in the development of education, science, culture and communications in all countries of all continents.
The very fact of nominating the leader of this authoritative international organization is already a great achievement in the life of any person. One can be proud of the fact that in post-Soviet history I am the first creative person to be nominated and selected for this high position.
I think that this event is a great school for young Azerbaijan Diplomacy.
I would like to once again sincerely express my sincere gratitude to all those who supported me on this difficult road. "
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 11.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 10.10.2017Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan says new deal with EU creates important framework for comprehensive development of ties