Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
Candidate for the post of the UNESCO Director General, Ambassador of Azerbaijan to Russia Polad Bulbul-ogly left the election race, Polad Bulbul-oglu distributed the statement for the press in connection with the decision, APA's Moscow correspondent reports.
. The statement reads:
"I am proud that I was nominated by my country as a candidate for the post of Director-General of UNESCO and I am grateful to the government and personally to the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev for the high trust and support rendered to me. In the time that remained until the election, we conducted an intensive pre-election campaign, unprecedented in terms of tightness. I am grateful to all those who helped me in this difficult work.
Many visits were made to the member countries of the UNESCO Executive Committee, dozens of meetings, speeches and presentations were held, articles were published in international publications that covered the positions of the candidate of the Republic of Azerbaijan on the agenda of UNESCO and on matters of vital importance for the future activities of the Organization that were met with great attention and support.
It was support, expressed during the election campaign by many members of the UNESCO Executive Committee, that gave us reason to expect success.
However, in the course of the highly competitive struggle for the 30 votes necessary for the victory, in which, in addition to Azerbaijan, there were such big states as China, France, Egypt, only 8 states, including 2 permanent members of the UN Security Council, we unfortunately did not succeed election campaign and get the right number of votes.
Therefore, I regretfully decided to withdraw from the election race, but I do it with a sense of duty, as I did everything possible and necessary, depending on me.
UNESCO, being the main humanitarian organization of the whole world, plays an important role in the development of education, science, culture and communications in all countries of all continents.
The very fact of nominating the leader of this authoritative international organization is already a great achievement in the life of any person. One can be proud of the fact that in post-Soviet history I am the first creative person to be nominated and selected for this high position.
I think that this event is a great school for young Azerbaijan Diplomacy.
I would like to once again sincerely express my sincere gratitude to all those who supported me on this difficult road. "
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 15.03.2018Former US envoy to UN: Conflicts around the world will increase
- 15.03.2018Georgia to host next meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Iranian and Turkish FMs
- 15.03.2018Existing opportunities should be utilized to bridge Asia with Europe, says Georgian FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey says quadrilateral co-op format with Azerbaijan, Iran, Georgia to contribute to peace and stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs hail new format of quadrilateral cooperation
- 15.03.2018Baku Declaration adopted at meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs
- 15.03.2018Deputy PM: TAP is an important project for Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 15.03.2018PM Yildirim: Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia take serious steps to ensure regional security
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 11.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 10.10.2017Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan says new deal with EU creates important framework for comprehensive development of ties