Theresa May: UK intends to further expand partnership with Azerbaijan
The UK intends to further expand partnership with Azerbaijan, reads a message addressed by British Prime Minister Theresa May to participants of the opening ceremony of the Southern Gas Corridor.
The message was read out by UK Prime Minister's Trade Envoy to Azerbaijan Baroness Emma Nicholson.
May’s message notes that this year marks the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic and 25 years of the Caspian Oil and Gas Exhibition.
"Oil and gas revenues have transformed Azerbaijan into a modern country and I am proud of BP's role in this regard. The Contract of the Century signed in 1994 was a historic turning point. We intend to further expand our partnership, and in this regard we were happy to see President Ilham Aliyev sign the 6th production sharing agreement in London on April 26,” the British PM said in his message.
Baroness Emma Nicholson also made a speech at the opening ceremony of the Southern Gas Corridor.
"Visiting Azerbaijan is always a great pleasure, and I congratulate your people on the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic," she said.
She noted that Azerbaijan had given women the right to vote 100 years ago, saying that she will attend the event to be held tomorrow in this regard.
The envoy said that the Southern Gas Corridor is an important step towards ensuring Europe's energy security.
"BP and SOCAR have signed a new agreement, which can greatly benefit our countries. In this regard, the UK pays special attention to trade relations," she added.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 29.05.2018Sandra Oudkirk: U.S. strongly supports Southern Gas Corridor
- 29.05.2018Donald Tusk, Jean-Claude Juncker congratulate President Ilham Aliyev
- 29.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives GECF Secretary General - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018Importance of US-Azerbaijan strategic relations stressed in Congress
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives UK Prime Minister's Trade Envoy to Azerbaijan
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijan's FM leaves for US