Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
Booking.com, the Netherlands-based travel fare aggregator website, has resumed illegal activities by starting hotel reservations in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, told APA on Nov. 17.
He recalled that Booking.com earlier stopped making illegal hotel reservations in the Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia after a serious protest from Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
Hajiyev stressed that promotion of Azerbaijan’s occupied lands as a tourism destination by Booking.com and making hotel reservations there absolutely contradicts the principles of international law, the Charter of the World Tourism Organization, the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism, as well as relevant decisions and recommendations of the World Tourism Organization’s Executive Board.
“Promotion of the occupied territories - where more than a million Azerbaijanis were subject to bloody ethnic cleansing - as a tourism destination and making hotel reservations there is inconsistent with any moral framework as well,” he added.
The spokesman said that though the occupied Azerbaijani territories are closed for legitimate international money transfers, hotels are booked in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands via online payments on Booking.com, which takes profit from this, and this is considered illegal money transfers and money laundering.
He noted that such activity of Booking.com runs contrary to business ethics and is a factor that negatively affects its reputation.
Hajiyev said that the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry and the Ministry of Culture and Tourism are taking coordinated measures in this regard. “The Azerbaijani Embassy in the Netherlands has also been given appropriate instructions,” he added.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by President of American Jewish Committee
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM