Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
Booking.com, the Netherlands-based travel fare aggregator website, has resumed illegal activities by starting hotel reservations in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, told APA on Nov. 17.
He recalled that Booking.com earlier stopped making illegal hotel reservations in the Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia after a serious protest from Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
Hajiyev stressed that promotion of Azerbaijan’s occupied lands as a tourism destination by Booking.com and making hotel reservations there absolutely contradicts the principles of international law, the Charter of the World Tourism Organization, the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism, as well as relevant decisions and recommendations of the World Tourism Organization’s Executive Board.
“Promotion of the occupied territories - where more than a million Azerbaijanis were subject to bloody ethnic cleansing - as a tourism destination and making hotel reservations there is inconsistent with any moral framework as well,” he added.
The spokesman said that though the occupied Azerbaijani territories are closed for legitimate international money transfers, hotels are booked in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands via online payments on Booking.com, which takes profit from this, and this is considered illegal money transfers and money laundering.
He noted that such activity of Booking.com runs contrary to business ethics and is a factor that negatively affects its reputation.
Hajiyev said that the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry and the Ministry of Culture and Tourism are taking coordinated measures in this regard. “The Azerbaijani Embassy in the Netherlands has also been given appropriate instructions,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM