Baku to host Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process 7th Ministerial Conference
The “Heart of Asia” – Istanbul Process (HoA IP) 7th Ministerial Conference will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan under the theme “Security and Economic Connectivity towards a Strengthened Heart of Asia Region” between November 30 and December 1, 2017.
HoA IP Participating and Supporting countries and Organizations will take part at the 7th Ministerial Conference, which will be preceded by a Senior Officials Meeting (SOM) on November 30, 2017, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
HoA IP 6th Ministerial Conference held in Amritsar, India on 4 December 2016 in its final Amritsar Declaration welcomed the willingness of the Republic of Azerbaijan to host the next Ministerial Conference of the HoA IP as Co-chair along with Afghanistan in 2017.
Within the Co-chairmanship of Azerbaijan of the HoA IP Senior Officials Meeting of HoA IP was held in Baku on March 17, 2017.
HoA-IP is an important regional platform for political dialogue and close regional cooperation aimed at promoting stability, peace and prosperity in the Heart of Asia region, and for enhancing Afghanistan's connectivity with the entire region.
HoA-IP participating states are the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Republic of Azerbaijan, People's Republic of China, Republic of India, Islamic Republic of Iran, Republic of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Russian Federation, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of Turkey, Turkmenistan, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Nations. The process is also supported by wide range of other countries and international and regional organizations. Having strong intention to contribute to regional peace, stability and prosperity and the traditional bonds of friendship with Afghanistan, Azerbaijan has joined HoA-IP in 2012.
With a view to integrating Afghanistan into the regional economy and reviving trade with its neighbors and beyond through increased regional connectivity Azerbaijan is engaged in active cooperation with Afghanistan. As the co-lead country together with Turkmenistan in the Regional Infrastructure Confidence Building Measures (CBM) of the Istanbul process, Azerbaijan will continue working with Afghanistan and other partners in this field. The next meeting of the regional technical group of the Regional Infrastructure CBM will be held in Baku on 27 November 2017.
The ongoing regional connectivity projects initiated by Azerbaijan, including, recently launched Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railroad, the new Baku International Sea Trade Port, logistics center on the shores of the Caspian Sea, linking up railway networks of Azerbaijan and Islamic Republic of Iran represent qualitatively new achievement in developing trans-regional infrastructure with multi-modal capabilities along the East-West and North-South axes. These projects will facilitate Afghanistan’s access to global markets and provide connectivity in the region, capable of handling cargo and containers in a much shorter, faster, efficient and cost-effective way.
As the co-lead-country together with the Russian Federation in the Counter-Narcotics CBM of the Istanbul process, Azerbaijan works with Afghanistan and other partners in addressing illicit drug trafficking, which is indeed a grave threat to the region. The next meeting of the Counter-Narcotics CBM regional technical group is planned to take place on 10 November 2017 in Baku.
Through bilateral channels, Azerbaijan shares its experience with Afghanistan, and provides training assistance in good governance, defense, law-enforcement and mine action fields.
Azerbaijan also contributes to the post-ISAF “Resolute Support Mission” of NATO by providing troops, multimodal transit, training and financial assistance. Azerbaijan has already made donations to the Afghanistan National Army Trust Fund and pledged to continue to support this Fund.
As a Co-chair of Heart of Asia-Istanbul Process and host of 7th Ministerial Conference, Azerbaijan remains committed to supporting further the stabilization, peaceful reconstruction and development of Afghanistan through bilateral efforts as well as within HoA-IP and other multilateral platforms.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Algerian justice minister
- 23.06.2018Afghan deputy FM says relations with Azerbaijan at highest level
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 06.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Donald Trump
- 07.11.2017MFA: Azerbaijan condemns missile attack against Saudi Arabia
- 07.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Work on new Azerbaijan-EU deal progressing very positively - UPDATED
- 06.11.2017Azerbaijani FM in Sweden on official visit
- 03.11.2017Russian FM, OSCE Secretary General meet in Moscow
- 03.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenian lobby tries to impede fair resolution of Karabakh conflict