Baku says VAK liquidation can negatively affect Russia’s mediatory role in Karabakh settlement
The liquidation of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) against the backdrop of the Russian president's policy aimed at developing relations between ethnic communities and their more active participation in the country’s socio-political life is a source of great regret and surprise, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hikmat Hajiyev said in his interview to APA.
He noted that the organization took an active part in the socio-political life of Russia, played an effective role in the diversification of Azerbaijan-Russia ties and in the development of interregional cooperation. Hajiyev recalled that representatives of the Congress were repeatedly awarded by the highest leadership of Russia.
“The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress existed as an organization uniting other numerous ethnic and national minorities living in Russia. The Congress was established as a non-governmental organization on the basis of the laws of Russia and in accordance with them. Along with the Congress, there are non-governmental organizations—such as the Union of Armenians of Russia—in Russia that unite various ethnic and national groups. As regards non-governmental organizations of national minorities in the political arena, we regard such discrimination against the Congress as an unfriendly step,” said Hajiyev.
The spokesman said he believes this approach will not serve the balance of interethnic relations in Russia, the concept of reforms conducted in the country, the strengthening of intercultural dialogue, and will not draw a positive reaction about Azerbaijan-Russia ties.
“In this step, we see a manifestation of ethnic discrimination and bias towards people who are citizens of Russia. Of course, if we come to the conclusion that the Armenian Diaspora has such a strong influence on Russia's domestic and foreign policy, then, undoubtedly, this kind of threat to the prospects for the development of Azerbaijan-Russia interstate relations causes us regret,” he added.
According to Hajiyev, such an incomprehensible and unexpected step in the conditions of the dynamic development and deepening of the Azerbaijan-Russia dialogue and multilateral cooperation in recent years shows how dangerous the impact of the Armenian policy on Russian-Azerbaijani relations can be.
“The Russian Federation, as one of the main mediators in the negotiation process for a peaceful settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict for years, has made important commitments. Conscientious fulfillment of these obligations at the same time requires that the balance of relations be maintained over the issue of settling interethnic relations and the principle of justice not be violated. The liquidation of the VAK and full support for the Union of Armenians of Russia can be perceived as a manifestation of an imbalance in relation to Russian citizens of Armenian and Azerbaijani nationalities, which can negatively affect Russia’s mediatory role in the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey
- 19.07.2017Ashgabat to host fifth trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs
- 19.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM - UPDATED
- 19.07.2017Ambassador: Czech Republic interested in co-op with Azerbaijan within Eastern Partnership
- 19.07.2017Visegrad Four supports soonest signing of Azerbaijan-EU deal on strategic partnership
- 19.07.2017Czech Senate delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Eastern Partnership countries’ FMs to meet in September
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary in October
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen FMs mull co-op prospects
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Baku
- 18.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan interested in expanding ties with Turkmenistan in all areas - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Austrian delegation - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit
- 17.07.2017Final document on Caspian Sea’s status nearly 80% agreed - Azerbaijani FM
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-EU relations developing successfully
- 17.07.2017President Vejonis: Latvia will continue to support Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Freedom Monument in Latvia
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan, Latvia sign joint declaration on strategic partnership
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani, Latvian presidents make press statements
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani, Latvian presidents hold one-on-one meeting in Riga
- 16.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Latvia for official visit
- 15.07.2017Alexei Venediktov: Russia-Azerbaijan relations should be cleared of ‘random mines’
- 15.07.2017Turkish ambassador: Ilham Aliyev was one of the first heads of state to telephone Erdogan during 15 July coup attempt
- 15.07.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: Fetullah isn’t on his own, he has backers
- 14.07.2017Turkish deputy PM: Killing of 2-year-old Zahra is ‘international crime’
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani president sends letter to Turkish counterpart
- 16.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives executive vice chairman of Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations
- 16.05.2017Chairperson of Kuwaiti Cabinet Committee on Women's Affairs awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan to attend CoE Committee of Ministers meeting in Cyprus
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker, Russian State Duma chairman to discuss VAK liquidation
- 16.05.2017FM: Italy will continue to support intensifying ties between Azerbaijan, EU
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP believes Russian court will change its decision on VAK liquidation