Baku says VAK liquidation can negatively affect Russia’s mediatory role in Karabakh settlement
The liquidation of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) against the backdrop of the Russian president's policy aimed at developing relations between ethnic communities and their more active participation in the country’s socio-political life is a source of great regret and surprise, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hikmat Hajiyev said in his interview to APA.
He noted that the organization took an active part in the socio-political life of Russia, played an effective role in the diversification of Azerbaijan-Russia ties and in the development of interregional cooperation. Hajiyev recalled that representatives of the Congress were repeatedly awarded by the highest leadership of Russia.
“The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress existed as an organization uniting other numerous ethnic and national minorities living in Russia. The Congress was established as a non-governmental organization on the basis of the laws of Russia and in accordance with them. Along with the Congress, there are non-governmental organizations—such as the Union of Armenians of Russia—in Russia that unite various ethnic and national groups. As regards non-governmental organizations of national minorities in the political arena, we regard such discrimination against the Congress as an unfriendly step,” said Hajiyev.
The spokesman said he believes this approach will not serve the balance of interethnic relations in Russia, the concept of reforms conducted in the country, the strengthening of intercultural dialogue, and will not draw a positive reaction about Azerbaijan-Russia ties.
“In this step, we see a manifestation of ethnic discrimination and bias towards people who are citizens of Russia. Of course, if we come to the conclusion that the Armenian Diaspora has such a strong influence on Russia's domestic and foreign policy, then, undoubtedly, this kind of threat to the prospects for the development of Azerbaijan-Russia interstate relations causes us regret,” he added.
According to Hajiyev, such an incomprehensible and unexpected step in the conditions of the dynamic development and deepening of the Azerbaijan-Russia dialogue and multilateral cooperation in recent years shows how dangerous the impact of the Armenian policy on Russian-Azerbaijani relations can be.
“The Russian Federation, as one of the main mediators in the negotiation process for a peaceful settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict for years, has made important commitments. Conscientious fulfillment of these obligations at the same time requires that the balance of relations be maintained over the issue of settling interethnic relations and the principle of justice not be violated. The liquidation of the VAK and full support for the Union of Armenians of Russia can be perceived as a manifestation of an imbalance in relation to Russian citizens of Armenian and Azerbaijani nationalities, which can negatively affect Russia’s mediatory role in the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives executive vice chairman of Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations
- 16.05.2017Chairperson of Kuwaiti Cabinet Committee on Women's Affairs awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan to attend CoE Committee of Ministers meeting in Cyprus
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker, Russian State Duma chairman to discuss VAK liquidation
- 16.05.2017FM: Italy will continue to support intensifying ties between Azerbaijan, EU
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP believes Russian court will change its decision on VAK liquidation