Azerbaijan says Russian MFA stance is beyond diplomatic ethics
Repeated expression of the Russian Foreign Ministry’s attitude towards the issue of the entry of the country’s citizens of Armenian origin into Azerbaijan in the form that is beyond diplomatic ethics is very strange and incomprehensible, Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on Thursday.
Russia’s hostile attitude does not in any case suit the relations of strategic nature between the countries, the Foreign Ministry noted.
"This issue has never been on the agenda for the last 25 years, since the establishment of diplomatic relations between Russia and Azerbaijan. In this case, it is hard to explain the excessive activity of the Russian side with regard to this matter. In accordance with the regime of beforehand notification and warning, the Azerbaijani side has created conditions for the entry of Russian citizens of Armenian origin into the territory of Azerbaijan into the territory of Azerbaijan. Hundreds of citizens of Russia and other countries of Armenian origin have so far been allowed to enter the territory of Azerbaijan after beforehand notification. In accordance with international and national law, Azerbaijan, which is a peaceful, multicultural land for the coexistence of peoples of various ethnicities, decides on its own as to allowing or disallowing foreign nationals’ entry into the country,” the statement said.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry stated that Russia, as an OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing country, does know that 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory is under occupation as a result of Armenian invasion and aggression and an act of ethnic cleansing was carried out against Azerbaijanis in the occupied territories.
“More than a million Azerbaijanis still lead the life of refugee and IDP. We would like to mention the Khojaly tragedy, which was carried out overnight by Armenian forces against the town’s population with the involvement of some foreign citizens of Armenian origin,” said the ministry.
The statement stressed that the death of a woman and her 2-year-old granddaughter as a result of the Armenian armed attacks and provocations against Azerbaijani people on July 4th of this year is yet another piece of evidence that Armenia tends to commit this type of terrorist acts against Azerbaijani civilians.
According to the statement, such an attention to the issue from the Russian side at such a critical time raises serious questions.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry stated that it is absolutely inconceivable of the Russian side paying such an attention to the issue while no other country has raised this issue.
Unfortunately, the Russian side remains indifferent to the fate of Dilgam Asgarov, a Russian citizen of Azerbaijani origin who was taken hostage while going on a visit to the graves of his parents, the statement said.
The statement further said: “The Russian Federation is a co-chairing country of the OSCE Minsk Group, and we expect that this country, due to its responsibility, will make more efforts for an early settlement of the conflict and the Armenian troops will be withdrawn from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan. As a result, there will be sustainable peace and stability in the region. That’s when conditions will have been created for free entry and exit of people. This position of the Azerbaijani side has been repeatedly brought to the attention of the Russian Foreign Ministry in an appropriate manner.”
Related news releases
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Tajikistan
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Russian ambassador
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan is a very reliable partner for NATO – Hungarian envoy
- 18.12.2017Member countries’ unified position is GUAM’s main achievement – Secretary General
- 18.12.2017Maros Sefcovic: Azerbaijan is a strategic energy partner for EU - INTERVIEW
- 18.12.2017Nagorno-Karabakh conflict issue raised at GUAM PA session
- 18.12.2017Georgian FM: Conflicts in GUAM countries hamper regional development
- 18.12.2017GUAM achieved stable position in int’l arena – Georgia
- 18.12.2017Tbilisi hosts 10th annual session of GUAM PA
- 16.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Kazakh leader
- 15.12.2017Qatar National Day marked in Baku
- 14.12.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with delegation led by UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 06.07.2017Erdogan offers condolences to Ilham Aliyev over death of Azerbaijani civilians
- 06.07.2017Nizami Ganjavi Int’l Center members concerned by escalation of situation on frontline
- 07.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA spokesman: Armenian leadership propagandizes hatred
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia tries to deny responsibility for atrocities committed in Alkhanli
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Kazakh counterpart on his birthday
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing EU ambassador