Azerbaijan says Russian MFA stance is beyond diplomatic ethics
Repeated expression of the Russian Foreign Ministry’s attitude towards the issue of the entry of the country’s citizens of Armenian origin into Azerbaijan in the form that is beyond diplomatic ethics is very strange and incomprehensible, Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on Thursday.
Russia’s hostile attitude does not in any case suit the relations of strategic nature between the countries, the Foreign Ministry noted.
"This issue has never been on the agenda for the last 25 years, since the establishment of diplomatic relations between Russia and Azerbaijan. In this case, it is hard to explain the excessive activity of the Russian side with regard to this matter. In accordance with the regime of beforehand notification and warning, the Azerbaijani side has created conditions for the entry of Russian citizens of Armenian origin into the territory of Azerbaijan into the territory of Azerbaijan. Hundreds of citizens of Russia and other countries of Armenian origin have so far been allowed to enter the territory of Azerbaijan after beforehand notification. In accordance with international and national law, Azerbaijan, which is a peaceful, multicultural land for the coexistence of peoples of various ethnicities, decides on its own as to allowing or disallowing foreign nationals’ entry into the country,” the statement said.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry stated that Russia, as an OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing country, does know that 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory is under occupation as a result of Armenian invasion and aggression and an act of ethnic cleansing was carried out against Azerbaijanis in the occupied territories.
“More than a million Azerbaijanis still lead the life of refugee and IDP. We would like to mention the Khojaly tragedy, which was carried out overnight by Armenian forces against the town’s population with the involvement of some foreign citizens of Armenian origin,” said the ministry.
The statement stressed that the death of a woman and her 2-year-old granddaughter as a result of the Armenian armed attacks and provocations against Azerbaijani people on July 4th of this year is yet another piece of evidence that Armenia tends to commit this type of terrorist acts against Azerbaijani civilians.
According to the statement, such an attention to the issue from the Russian side at such a critical time raises serious questions.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry stated that it is absolutely inconceivable of the Russian side paying such an attention to the issue while no other country has raised this issue.
Unfortunately, the Russian side remains indifferent to the fate of Dilgam Asgarov, a Russian citizen of Azerbaijani origin who was taken hostage while going on a visit to the graves of his parents, the statement said.
The statement further said: “The Russian Federation is a co-chairing country of the OSCE Minsk Group, and we expect that this country, due to its responsibility, will make more efforts for an early settlement of the conflict and the Armenian troops will be withdrawn from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan. As a result, there will be sustainable peace and stability in the region. That’s when conditions will have been created for free entry and exit of people. This position of the Azerbaijani side has been repeatedly brought to the attention of the Russian Foreign Ministry in an appropriate manner.”
Related news releases
- 23.03.2018Latvia: 'I think highly of voting process in Azerbaijan'
- 23.03.2018Date and agenda of PACE spring session announced
- 23.03.2018Flag hoisting ceremony held in Pakistani embassy in Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Pakistani counterpart
- 22.03.2018PACE co-rapporteurs to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 06.07.2017Erdogan offers condolences to Ilham Aliyev over death of Azerbaijani civilians
- 06.07.2017Nizami Ganjavi Int’l Center members concerned by escalation of situation on frontline
- 07.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA spokesman: Armenian leadership propagandizes hatred
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia tries to deny responsibility for atrocities committed in Alkhanli
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Kazakh counterpart on his birthday
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing EU ambassador