Azerbaijan says Russian MFA stance is beyond diplomatic ethics
Repeated expression of the Russian Foreign Ministry’s attitude towards the issue of the entry of the country’s citizens of Armenian origin into Azerbaijan in the form that is beyond diplomatic ethics is very strange and incomprehensible, Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on Thursday.
Russia’s hostile attitude does not in any case suit the relations of strategic nature between the countries, the Foreign Ministry noted.
"This issue has never been on the agenda for the last 25 years, since the establishment of diplomatic relations between Russia and Azerbaijan. In this case, it is hard to explain the excessive activity of the Russian side with regard to this matter. In accordance with the regime of beforehand notification and warning, the Azerbaijani side has created conditions for the entry of Russian citizens of Armenian origin into the territory of Azerbaijan into the territory of Azerbaijan. Hundreds of citizens of Russia and other countries of Armenian origin have so far been allowed to enter the territory of Azerbaijan after beforehand notification. In accordance with international and national law, Azerbaijan, which is a peaceful, multicultural land for the coexistence of peoples of various ethnicities, decides on its own as to allowing or disallowing foreign nationals’ entry into the country,” the statement said.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry stated that Russia, as an OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing country, does know that 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory is under occupation as a result of Armenian invasion and aggression and an act of ethnic cleansing was carried out against Azerbaijanis in the occupied territories.
“More than a million Azerbaijanis still lead the life of refugee and IDP. We would like to mention the Khojaly tragedy, which was carried out overnight by Armenian forces against the town’s population with the involvement of some foreign citizens of Armenian origin,” said the ministry.
The statement stressed that the death of a woman and her 2-year-old granddaughter as a result of the Armenian armed attacks and provocations against Azerbaijani people on July 4th of this year is yet another piece of evidence that Armenia tends to commit this type of terrorist acts against Azerbaijani civilians.
According to the statement, such an attention to the issue from the Russian side at such a critical time raises serious questions.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry stated that it is absolutely inconceivable of the Russian side paying such an attention to the issue while no other country has raised this issue.
Unfortunately, the Russian side remains indifferent to the fate of Dilgam Asgarov, a Russian citizen of Azerbaijani origin who was taken hostage while going on a visit to the graves of his parents, the statement said.
The statement further said: “The Russian Federation is a co-chairing country of the OSCE Minsk Group, and we expect that this country, due to its responsibility, will make more efforts for an early settlement of the conflict and the Armenian troops will be withdrawn from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan. As a result, there will be sustainable peace and stability in the region. That’s when conditions will have been created for free entry and exit of people. This position of the Azerbaijani side has been repeatedly brought to the attention of the Russian Foreign Ministry in an appropriate manner.”
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 13.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria is a very important partner for Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet in Geneva on Oct. 16
- 06.07.2017Erdogan offers condolences to Ilham Aliyev over death of Azerbaijani civilians
- 06.07.2017Nizami Ganjavi Int’l Center members concerned by escalation of situation on frontline
- 07.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA spokesman: Armenian leadership propagandizes hatred
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia tries to deny responsibility for atrocities committed in Alkhanli
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Kazakh counterpart on his birthday
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing EU ambassador