Baku says Armenia’s claim that Karabakh conflict can be resolved based on one single document is ‘utopia’
Armenia’s claim that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict can be resolved on the basis of one single document is utopia, the spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry, Hikmat Hajiyev, told APA.
Hajiyev said that the main injustice in the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict or as the Armenian leadership called it, the “deficit of justice”, is primarily the occupation of sovereign territories of Azerbaijan and ethnic cleansing against more than one million Azerbaijanis in the occupied territories and violation of their all fundamental rights.
Despite the fact that Armenia took obligations on the conflict’s settlement when becoming a member of the Council of Europe, it has not fulfilled them yet, noted the spokesman.
“While the Council of Europe is responsible for the formation of a single legal space between the member states, but as a member of this organization, Armenia continues to hold under occupation the territories of another member state, Azerbaijan,” said Hajiyev, stressing that attempts to alter the recognized borders of other states or to seize land by force are unacceptable.
“We hope that the leadership of the Council of Europe has raised such issues before the Armenian leadership, issues such as the fundamental rights of Azerbaijani IDPs and refugees, prescribed in the European Convention on Human Rights,” he added.
The spokesman went on to say that Azerbaijan’s fair position on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is known and supported by the entire international community.
“Azerbaijan’s position is based on the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, international law and the Helsinki Final Act,” he said.
Hajiyev noted that the Armenian community of Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region together with the Azerbaijani community can use the right to determine their self-determination within the borders of Azerbaijan.
“In order to achieve progress in resolving the conflict, as part of the phased process, Armenia must withdraw its troops from the districts adjacent to Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, and it is necessary to create a base for the next step. This is the only possible and real option of the conflict settlement. Thus, the confidence of Azerbaijan, as a party that suffered occupation and aggression, should be ensured,” he said.
The spokesman recalled that in August 2017, the U.S. co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, Richard Hoagland, announced gradual steps to be taken to resolve the conflict.
Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has recently called for a step-by-step solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, added Hajiyev.
He stressed that Armenia’s claim that the complicated Nagorno-Karabakh conflict can be resolved on the basis of one single document is utopia and is nothing more than an attempt to avoid the conflict settlement.
The fact that Armenia has targeted civilians throughout the line of contact with heavy weapons in April 2016 once again reminded us of the pains of the Khojaly genocide, which the Armenian President personally participated in. The counter-attack measures of the Azerbaijani armed forces, prevented the provocations and attacks by Armenia against civilians.
Proceedings carried out by the USSR General Prosecutor's Office on the 1988 Sumgayit events organized by the USSR leadership, the USSR State Security Committee and the Armenian SSR State Security Committee were confirmed by the Azerbaijani General Prosecutor's Office which later on took over proceedings. The organizer of the Sumgayit events, the person who committed the events, originally from Armenia, Eduard Grigoryan, was suprisingly released from prison in Armenia. Currently, Armenia's leadership very well knows where he is under special protection.
The crime committed in Sumqayit was investigated and its participants, including Azerbaijanis, were punished with the most severe punishment. No crimes committed against Azerbaijanis in the occupied lands of Azerbaijan, including a criminal act against humanity - Khojaly genocide, has been investigated in Armenia.
The Armenian leadership once again tried to deceive the international community and divert attention from Armenia’s rooted political, economic and social problems with the Armenian President's PACE speech.
The Armenian leadership should finally acknowledge that the sooner the conflict is settled, the sooner will the Armenian population benefit from the regional cooperation opportunities," the foreign ministry spokesman noted.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Pakistani counterpart
- 22.03.2018PACE co-rapporteurs to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 24.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Swiss President Alain Berset
- 25.01.2018Envoy: Protests in Italy about TAP not against Azerbaijan
- 25.01.2018Russia-Georgia deal may soon enter into force to benefit Armenia
- 24.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Israeli PM Netanyahu in Davos
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine in near future
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MP slams Armenian president’s speech at PACE