Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
A panel session on the theme “The Future of Europe” was held as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum on March 17.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests” kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by former Prime Minister of Bosnia and Herzegovina Zlatko Lagumdzija, the discussion was joined by Chairman of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovin Mladen Ivanić, former President of Poland Aleksander Kwasniewski, former Prime Minister of Belgium Yves Leterme, former President of Slovenia Danilo Turk, former Prime Minister of the Netherlands Wim Kok, former President of Latvia Valdis Zatlers, former Prime Minister of the Czech Republic Jan Fischer, and former Foreign Minister of Italy Franco Frattini.
Mladen Ivanić noted that security is the foremost issue for the European Union.
“One of the major problems in the EU has to do with decision-making. I represent a Balkan country. I cannot imagine our region without the EU which is like an umbrella over our head. I don’t think the EU will cease to exist in the wake of the migration problems. Two years ago, the Union had faced far greater problems. In the end, a solution was found,” he added.
Kwasniewski said Europe seems lively after the elections held in the Netherlands.
“Demographics and migrations are two major problems faced by the EU. For the EU, migration is a matter of the future. I think that a huge vacancy has opened for Balkan countries after Great Britain left the EU,” he noted.
Leterme noted that in Europe the difference between leftists and rightists has begun to disappear. “Our citizens really want to use the euro and move freely within the EU. I should note that populism has no chance to win at present”, he said.
D.Turk also believes that Brexit created a chance for Balkan countries. “Last year, Bosnia and Herzegovina applied for an EU membership and some progress has already been achieved. Other Balkan countries will take steps in this regard. I'm hopeful about the future expansion of the European Union,” he added.
Wim Kok noted that the euro will be the subject of discussion in the second half of this year. “US President Donald Trump said that Europe is a German project. This statement is wrong. President Trump encourages other EU member states to leave the organization. I think the UK's decision to leave the EU was not right,” he said.
Valdis Zatlers said that Latvia is committed to European values.
Jan Fischer and Franco Frattini expressed their opinions on security issues in Europe.
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister attends GUAM-Japan ministerial meeting
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs to go sightseeing in Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani deputy education minister blames Armenian MP for making false remarks at Baku conference
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to display ‘decisive stance’ against Armenia
- 22.09.2017GUAM countries interested in development of mutually beneficial co-op with US
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says energy co-op with EU has reached level of strategic partnership
- 22.09.2017NATO Secretary General's Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Turkic Council foreign ministers meet in New York
- 21.09.2017Work underway to bring home Azerbaijani children found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan preparing for Eastern Partnership summit: deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan says ‘no serious progress’ in talks with WTO
- 21.09.2017EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on trade to hold meeting in Brussels
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president