Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
A panel session on the theme “The Future of Europe” was held as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum on March 17.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests” kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by former Prime Minister of Bosnia and Herzegovina Zlatko Lagumdzija, the discussion was joined by Chairman of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovin Mladen Ivanić, former President of Poland Aleksander Kwasniewski, former Prime Minister of Belgium Yves Leterme, former President of Slovenia Danilo Turk, former Prime Minister of the Netherlands Wim Kok, former President of Latvia Valdis Zatlers, former Prime Minister of the Czech Republic Jan Fischer, and former Foreign Minister of Italy Franco Frattini.
Mladen Ivanić noted that security is the foremost issue for the European Union.
“One of the major problems in the EU has to do with decision-making. I represent a Balkan country. I cannot imagine our region without the EU which is like an umbrella over our head. I don’t think the EU will cease to exist in the wake of the migration problems. Two years ago, the Union had faced far greater problems. In the end, a solution was found,” he added.
Kwasniewski said Europe seems lively after the elections held in the Netherlands.
“Demographics and migrations are two major problems faced by the EU. For the EU, migration is a matter of the future. I think that a huge vacancy has opened for Balkan countries after Great Britain left the EU,” he noted.
Leterme noted that in Europe the difference between leftists and rightists has begun to disappear. “Our citizens really want to use the euro and move freely within the EU. I should note that populism has no chance to win at present”, he said.
D.Turk also believes that Brexit created a chance for Balkan countries. “Last year, Bosnia and Herzegovina applied for an EU membership and some progress has already been achieved. Other Balkan countries will take steps in this regard. I'm hopeful about the future expansion of the European Union,” he added.
Wim Kok noted that the euro will be the subject of discussion in the second half of this year. “US President Donald Trump said that Europe is a German project. This statement is wrong. President Trump encourages other EU member states to leave the organization. I think the UK's decision to leave the EU was not right,” he said.
Valdis Zatlers said that Latvia is committed to European values.
Jan Fischer and Franco Frattini expressed their opinions on security issues in Europe.
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president