Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
A panel session on the theme “The Future of Europe” was held as part of the 5th Global Baku Forum on March 17.
The 5th Global Baku Forum, titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests” kicked off in Baku March 16.
Moderated by former Prime Minister of Bosnia and Herzegovina Zlatko Lagumdzija, the discussion was joined by Chairman of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovin Mladen Ivanić, former President of Poland Aleksander Kwasniewski, former Prime Minister of Belgium Yves Leterme, former President of Slovenia Danilo Turk, former Prime Minister of the Netherlands Wim Kok, former President of Latvia Valdis Zatlers, former Prime Minister of the Czech Republic Jan Fischer, and former Foreign Minister of Italy Franco Frattini.
Mladen Ivanić noted that security is the foremost issue for the European Union.
“One of the major problems in the EU has to do with decision-making. I represent a Balkan country. I cannot imagine our region without the EU which is like an umbrella over our head. I don’t think the EU will cease to exist in the wake of the migration problems. Two years ago, the Union had faced far greater problems. In the end, a solution was found,” he added.
Kwasniewski said Europe seems lively after the elections held in the Netherlands.
“Demographics and migrations are two major problems faced by the EU. For the EU, migration is a matter of the future. I think that a huge vacancy has opened for Balkan countries after Great Britain left the EU,” he noted.
Leterme noted that in Europe the difference between leftists and rightists has begun to disappear. “Our citizens really want to use the euro and move freely within the EU. I should note that populism has no chance to win at present”, he said.
D.Turk also believes that Brexit created a chance for Balkan countries. “Last year, Bosnia and Herzegovina applied for an EU membership and some progress has already been achieved. Other Balkan countries will take steps in this regard. I'm hopeful about the future expansion of the European Union,” he added.
Wim Kok noted that the euro will be the subject of discussion in the second half of this year. “US President Donald Trump said that Europe is a German project. This statement is wrong. President Trump encourages other EU member states to leave the organization. I think the UK's decision to leave the EU was not right,” he said.
Valdis Zatlers said that Latvia is committed to European values.
Jan Fischer and Franco Frattini expressed their opinions on security issues in Europe.
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president