Khojaly massacre survivor addresses US Congress
Azerbaijani Center of Midwest America (ACMA) organized a special event in the US Congress to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly massacre.
Organized within the framework of the “Justice For Khojaly” international awareness campaign, the event was attended by congressional staff members, employees of the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US, representatives of the local community, the Azerbaijani and Turkish communities in the US, the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US told APA.
Addressing the keynote remarks at the event, Mehriban Mammadova, ACMA President, gave information about the Khojaly massacre and noted that this tragedy is forever etched on the memory of the Azerbaijani people.
Narmin Ibrahimova, a survivor of the Khojaly massacre and an Azerbaijani student in the US, shared with the participant her bitter memories in relation to the events of 25 years ago. She spoke about the sufferings underwent by hungry and thirsty Khojaly residents in forest at cold winter nights in order to escape the atrocities of the Armenian soldiers. The Azerbaijani survivor said that hundreds of civilians were brutally killed during the massacre, and these terrible events have left deep and unforgettable traces in her memory.
Azerbaijani Ambassador to the US Elin Suleymanov said in his speech that the commemoration of this tragedy is a reminder of how important it is to restore the peace in the region. He said that the people of Azerbaijan rightfully call for justice for this tragedy, noting that despite all this suffering and injustice Azerbaijan is looking to the future.
Democratic Congressman Henry Cuellar (Texas), a member of the working group on Azerbaijan, stressed the strategic importance of US-Azerbaijan relations, noting that he is ready to provide support to strengthening the partnership between the two countries. Congressman Cuellar, who called himself a friend of Azerbaijan, said that he shares the grief of our people on this painful day and will continue to stand by Azerbaijan.
It’s now the second consecutive year that ACMA has organized a commemorative event in the US Congress for the Khojaly massacre. As part of the “Justice For Khojaly” campaign, a number of commemoration ceremonies have been held in Washington, New York City, Chicago, St. Louis, Boston, and Houston.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
- 29.04.2017Book of condolences to be opened at Kyrgyz embassy in Baku tomorrow
- 29.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Qatar’s ex-PM
- 29.04.2017Brussels to host EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 28.04.2017Baku comments on Zakharova’s statement on Azerbaijani journalists
- 28.04.2017Secretary General Sawicki’s secret intelligence service in PACE - ARTICLE
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan says Turkey referendum is sign of people’s confidence in leadership
- 28.04.2017NATO allocates 100,000 euro for clearance of unexploded ordnance in Jeyranchel
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest outside Council of Europe headquarters
- 27.04.2017Italian ambassador to Azerbaijan to end his tenure this summer
- 27.04.2017Lithuanian MPs adopt statement condemning Khojaly Genocide
- 26.04.2017France says supports signing of new Azerbaijan-EU agreement
- 26.04.2017Ambassador: No facts confirming Azerbaijani companies’ participation in Yalta economic forum - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017EU says Baku talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan were ‘productive’
- 26.04.2017General: Turkey always stands by Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017Novruz Mammadov accuses US politician of spreading false information
- 26.04.2017Metsamor – the only nuclear plant based on Chernobyl technology: Azerbaijani MFA
- 25.04.2017Samad Seyidov: Future of Council of Europe is under question
- 25.04.2017Bazhanov: Russia intends to strengthen relations with post-Soviet countries, including Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan provides humanitarian aid to Yemen
- 25.04.2017PACE holds hearing on Agramunt’s recent visit to Syria
- 25.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of new Japanese ambassador - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani Delegation to PACE opposes call to reopen monitoring procedure in respect of Turkey
- 25.04.2017Trump cuts financial aid to Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2017BSEC committee meeting underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Candidates for post of UNESCO Director-General to be interviewed
- 24.04.2017Russian Foreign Ministry responds to request on measures to protect Russian citizen Dilgam Asgarov
- 24.04.2017CoE Committee of Ministers urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation
- 24.04.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Dubai tourism exhibition
- 24.04.2017Hamid Aboutalebi: Iran-Azerbaijan ties to develop further
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Lithuania
- 22.04.2017Moroccan FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2017Delegation of Azerbaijani parliament to attend PACE spring session
- 22.04.2017Azerbaijani president receives former Austrian president
- 21.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FIDE president - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017Ukrainian police take control of hijacking of Azerbaijani trucks – embassy
- 20.04.2017Top official: Azerbaijan has become leader in South Caucasus
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia hold consultations on state border delimitation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets status of guest at OECD Development Assistance Committee
- 19.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement – important step to develop bilateral cooperation - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2017“Baku platform – a place for positive initiatives”
- 28.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev in Pakistan for ECO summit
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman addresses Oxford University on Karabakh conflict
- 28.02.2017Governor of U.S. State of Nevada signs document on Khojaly Tragedy
- 27.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev ends official visit to Qatar - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with Emir of Qatar