Khojaly massacre survivor addresses US Congress
Azerbaijani Center of Midwest America (ACMA) organized a special event in the US Congress to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly massacre.
Organized within the framework of the “Justice For Khojaly” international awareness campaign, the event was attended by congressional staff members, employees of the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US, representatives of the local community, the Azerbaijani and Turkish communities in the US, the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US told APA.
Addressing the keynote remarks at the event, Mehriban Mammadova, ACMA President, gave information about the Khojaly massacre and noted that this tragedy is forever etched on the memory of the Azerbaijani people.
Narmin Ibrahimova, a survivor of the Khojaly massacre and an Azerbaijani student in the US, shared with the participant her bitter memories in relation to the events of 25 years ago. She spoke about the sufferings underwent by hungry and thirsty Khojaly residents in forest at cold winter nights in order to escape the atrocities of the Armenian soldiers. The Azerbaijani survivor said that hundreds of civilians were brutally killed during the massacre, and these terrible events have left deep and unforgettable traces in her memory.
Azerbaijani Ambassador to the US Elin Suleymanov said in his speech that the commemoration of this tragedy is a reminder of how important it is to restore the peace in the region. He said that the people of Azerbaijan rightfully call for justice for this tragedy, noting that despite all this suffering and injustice Azerbaijan is looking to the future.
Democratic Congressman Henry Cuellar (Texas), a member of the working group on Azerbaijan, stressed the strategic importance of US-Azerbaijan relations, noting that he is ready to provide support to strengthening the partnership between the two countries. Congressman Cuellar, who called himself a friend of Azerbaijan, said that he shares the grief of our people on this painful day and will continue to stand by Azerbaijan.
It’s now the second consecutive year that ACMA has organized a commemorative event in the US Congress for the Khojaly massacre. As part of the “Justice For Khojaly” campaign, a number of commemoration ceremonies have been held in Washington, New York City, Chicago, St. Louis, Boston, and Houston.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing ambassador of Bulgaria
- 13.11.2017EU appoints new special representative for South Caucasus and crisis in Georgia
- 13.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences to Iraqi PM
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy