Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, who is on an official visit to Azerbaijan.
It was noted during the meeting that the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and Russia is celebrated in 2017.
The ministers expressed their satisfaction with the development of good neighborly, friendly and strategic partnership relations between the two countries, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The political significance of the Baku Declaration on Friendship and Strategic Cooperation, dated 3 July 2008, was particularly highlighted in the development of bilateral relations.
The ministers emphasized that sincere friendship and dialogue that exist between Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and Russian President Vladimir Putin gives special impetus to the development of strategic partnership relations between our countries.
Furthermore, the ministers reviewed the comprehensive enhancement of bilateral relations between Azerbaijan and Russia and discussed prospects for development.
The sides discussed the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and commended the latest developments and intensification of the negotiations.
They also noted successful cooperation between the two countries within the framework of international organizations.
The importance of the Intergovernmental Joint Commission and political consultations mechanism between the Foreign Ministries was emphasized in the advancement of cooperation between our countries.
At the meeting, the sides expressed their satisfaction with the regular direct inter-parliamentary relations and cooperation in international parliamentary organizations on the basis of the 2001 Agreement between the National Assembly of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation.
An important role played by the Azerbaijan-Russia Inter-regional Forum since 2011, in the expansion of trade turnover and trade relations between the two countries was also highlighted. As a result of the joint efforts of the two countries, the development of economic and trade relations and the growth of trade turnover and mutual tourist flow were especially emphasized.
Development of cooperation on the basis of Azerbaijan-Russia-Iran trilateral format and the joint activities aimed at the creation of the North-South transport corridor were highly appreciated.
In the humanitarian field, discussions were held on further development and enhancement of cooperation in the spheres of culture and public affairs, science and education, information and youth policy on the basis of bilateral cooperation programs and the importance of the Baku Humanitarian Forum held under the auspices of the two countries.
The ministers also exchanged views on the legal status of the Caspian Sea, expanding the legal framework, as well as regional and global issues.
A one-on-one meeting between the Azerbaijani and Russian foreign ministers kicked off in Baku on Monday.
The one-on-one meeting will be continued in an expanded format with the participation of the two countries’ delegations, APA reported.
The foreign ministers are scheduled to hold a joint press conference following the meeting.
- 16.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Kazakh leader
- 15.12.2017Qatar National Day marked in Baku
- 14.12.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with delegation led by UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table